Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)  (Read 100604 times)

Steve Gavazzi

Re: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2020, 12:02:28 AM »
Have we jumped around a little into next season? I'm watching now, and I notice the main backdrop is now made of the plush material I remember from my youth instead of painted stucco, and it no longer has the border lighting.

No -- we've just gotten past the summer taping break.

Casey Buck

« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2020, 12:12:23 AM »
Have we jumped around a little into next season? I'm watching now, and I notice the main backdrop is now made of the plush material I remember from my youth instead of painted stucco, and it no longer has the border lighting.

The padded purple/red/orange turntable was phased in throughout Season 11: the front of the spinning panel on the October 26 episode, most of the remaining panels about a month later (whose week is what's playing today, but taped out of order), and the back of the spinning panel at the end of the season.

BrandonFG

« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2020, 12:24:36 AM »
I’m still seeing 1982 copyright dates on the new set eps. There’s been a few that had a mix of the old and new backdrops.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2020, 12:55:56 AM »
I asked Steve about that--we're in the same TV season but just after the summer break.

/oops, Steve already jumped in.
Travis L. Eberle

snowpeck

« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2020, 02:12:25 AM »
This week we're seeing was taped out of order as well. We'll see the stucco return for a few weeks before the padding returns just before the end of 1982.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

TimK2003

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2020, 09:19:32 AM »
Random Thoughts/Questions after the 2nd week of the TPIR Channel:

Has the TPIR train (woot wooot) been used on every show so far?  I didn't realize they used it so much then.

How many games were in the rotation at this point?

You can tell when they use the short credit roll vs. the long one before they start:  The MG/BT logos have different fonts.

Now I can't get the "Nothing But Furniture" cue out of my head.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
How many games were in the rotation at this point?

43 assuming I haven't forgotten one. List follows:

1 Right Price, 3 Strikes, Any Number, Barker's Bargain Bar, Blank Check, Bonus Game, Bullseye, Card Game, Check-Out, Cliff Hangers, Clock Game, Danger Price, Dice Game, Double Prices, Five Price Tags, Give or Keep, Golden Road, Grand Game, Grocery Game, Hi Lo, Hit Me, Hole in One, Hurdles, It's Optional, Lucky Seven, Money Game, Most Expensive, Now...and Then, Penny Ante, Pick a Pair, Poker Game, Punch a Bunch, Race Game, Range Game, Safe Crackers , Secret "X", Shell Game, Squeeze Play, Super Ball!!, Switcheroo, Take Two, Temptation, and Trader Bob.

As far as the rest of the season goes, Plinko's the next new game on 1/3/83.  Master Key debuts on 3/25/83.  Hurdles retires after the 3/31/83 show, and It's Optional's last gasp was 5/9/83 (what a fun game, BTW). 

BrandonFG

« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2020, 10:56:33 AM »
You can tell when they use the short credit roll vs. the long one before they start:  The MG/BT logos have different fonts.
I noticed this last night too. And when they show the TPIR logo w/copyright at the end, it dissolves away during a short crawl. During a long credit crawl, they use a reverse square wipe.

I had this convo with Ben Williams last night. For years, I could never get the hang of Trader Bob, but it appears the proper strategy is keep the lesser of the two prizes, then hope that the four prizes you kept increase in value. Interesting concept, but if being confusing is why it didn't last, I definitely understand. It also shows just how many games were a sibling or first cousin of Give or Keep.

Even after ten years, you had contestants who couldn't get the hang of the simpler games. Granted, I don't expect everyone to watch every single day, and there's probably games that, if I were a contestant today, might confuse me also. Plus, lights and camera...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
I noticed this last night too. And when they show the TPIR logo w/copyright at the end, it dissolves away during a short crawl. During a long credit crawl, they use a reverse square wipe.

I had this convo with Ben Williams last night. For years, I could never get the hang of Trader Bob, but it appears the proper strategy is keep the lesser of the two prizes, then hope that the four prizes you kept increase in value. Interesting concept, but if being confusing is why it didn't last, I definitely understand. It also shows just how many games were a sibling or first cousin of Give or Keep.

Even after ten years, you had contestants who couldn't get the hang of the simpler games. Granted, I don't expect everyone to watch every single day, and there's probably games that, if I were a contestant today, might confuse me also. Plus, lights and camera...

Then again, I saw one of the smoothest, quickest playings of 10 chances I've ever seen earlier this week.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2020, 12:03:14 PM »

Two thoughts: 1, WOW, were they into big set pieces. 2., it always irked me that Give or Keep was about Keeping the more expensive prize. I always thought the game should have been called Generosity, where the object was to give away the more valuable item.
czambo@mac.com

Sodboy13

« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »
Thanks to all for the detailed answer to my question. The internet is actually good sometimes!
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
They just shared this on Facebook:

Friends, we wanted to let you know that in a continued effort to make your viewing of The Price Is Right: The Barker Era the best it can be, we've changed the schedule. We will no longer air 6 new episodes a day, now each hour a different episode will play on PlutoTV. Plus, great news, tomorrow you can catch the debut of #Plinko! Thanks for watching!

tyshaun1

« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2020, 01:05:08 PM »

Friends, we wanted to let you know that in a continued effort to make your viewing of The Price Is Right: The Barker Era the best it can be, we've changed the schedule. We will no longer air 6 new episodes a day, now each hour a different episode will play on PlutoTV. Plus, great news, tomorrow you can catch the debut of #Plinko! Thanks for watching!
I would presume this is because Pluto has no west coast feed? Otherwise, a strange decision to decide to burn right through these episodes on a Friday, no less.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2020, 01:09:32 PM »

I saw that. Just to clarify, are they meaning a new episode every hour? If so, that’s likely going to blow pretty quickly through the stack of eps they have converted, & they’ll start getting the “why do they always repeat the same episodes?” complaints that often come up with the other dedicated Pluto channels. (Unless Fremantle has a heck of a lot more eps of TPIR ready to go than of most of their classic shows—which they might.)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2020, 01:11:09 PM »
I saw that. Just to clarify, are they meaning a new episode every hour?

As of 10am Pacific they're on their 8th new episode today (started at 3a). All in order.