Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)  (Read 100639 times)

snowpeck

Re: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2020, 01:50:22 PM »
Looks like the new cycle of episodes started at noon Eastern today instead of 6AM. The 6AM-noon block was a repeat of Friday's shows.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chargeradiocom

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2020, 04:13:27 PM »
Not trying to hijack the thread but with the addition of TPiR to PlutoTV I've been watching the free service much more than I've had in the past.  Has anyone else using a Roku had major issues with the PlutoTV app?  I've found many others online (be it on Reddit, Pluto's Facebook post comments and tech support groups online for Roku/Pluto) seem to be having the same issue.  The issue is that I have to reinstall the PlutoTV app each time I want to use it.  Otherwise it will not completely load - it'll simply play the last channel I watched but will not react to any remote inputs.  You can tell it is receiving the command from the remote as it is playing the Roku sound it makes when you hit an incorrect button or a button that doesn't do anything.  It will not let you change channel or anything.  I'm a tech person and I've tried all the typical fixes but to no avail.  A reinstall works for one go-round but then freezes after you go back into the app.  E-mails to Pluto and Roku haven't provided any fix.  Anyone else having this issue?

That seems to be an issue with older Roku models. I’ve had a couple of Rokus where Pluto became almost unusable, even after doing the standard troubleshooting. Unfortunately I don’t have a good fix for it. I just bought a Chromecast (I was already using one on another TV), and mostly use it for streaming on TV now.

Bob goes to prove my belief that the television personalities that are held in the highest regard are the ones that take their role seriously on air.  I understand that Drew and his crew want a party atmosphere but Bob's run felt much more fun than the "forced fun" we have now.  I swear watching the current setup forcing contestants do a gig when they come out and when they win the item up for bid is vomit-inducing.  Bob made the fact that if a person knew how many packs of gum it would take to get a total of $6 in a game then that contestant would win a new car 100% legit.
Agreed. The show wasn’t without its warts, which we’ve harped on (myself included) in this thread. But the overall tone of the show seemed more classy then, as opposed to the “frat party” tone now.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2020, 04:18:54 PM »
Bob is condescending, but people liked this. The show skyrocketed to #1 at this point and they partied and had fun. This was the time the show started cementing its status as an institution. People waited to see Bob be smarmy on TV, they waited in line to be talked to him that way in studio. Perhaps his fame and the prospect of winning blinded people from it, but no one cared. They liked reaching into his pocket. They asked him for kisses. Whatever it is they liked about him, they were *sold.* I think it was his quick wit and cavalier attitude that came off as so charming back then.

That’s a fair point. I’d add that a lot of the hosts often in the discussion of GOATs—Rayburn, Dawson, Sajak, Eubanks—made their names in part by poking fun at goofy answers or remarks from contestants, & it was considered part of their charm. So Barker wasn’t completely unique in that respect. This doesn’t apply to all the GOATs, of course; I don’t recall Trebek & Cullen, for instance, poking fun at contestants too often, though their show formats & hosting styles didn’t usually lend themselves to that kind of banter. But gently poking fun at contestants was enough a part of game show history that it remains a fixture of many game shows today.

tvmitch

« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2020, 09:04:40 AM »
Not trying to hijack the thread but with the addition of TPiR to PlutoTV I've been watching the free service much more than I've had in the past.  Has anyone else using a Roku had major issues with the PlutoTV app?  I've found many others online (be it on Reddit, Pluto's Facebook post comments and tech support groups online for Roku/Pluto) seem to be having the same issue...
I have been watching Pluto on my Amazon Fire stick on one TV and our Apple TV box on another TV with no issues. If you are looking to change your device, I know Amazon was running some pretty good sales on Fire sticks recently...I think one model was something like $20.
You should follow me on Twitter

chrisholland03

« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2020, 09:48:08 AM »
And if you're not opposed to the Google universe, I recommend the new Chromecast TV over the Amazon Fire Stick.  The UI is much easier to work with in my opinion.

BillCullen1

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2020, 03:04:48 PM »
HEADS UP

On the show broadcast today (12/8) at 12 Noon ET, Bill Cullen came in on the choo-choo. So if they're on the 6-hour cycle, that show will repeat at 6 pm and 12 midnight ET.

jage

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »
I don't understand all of the talk about getting to episodes from several seasons later within a matter of months. Given Pluto and Buzzr's history, plus the supposed time in digitizing eps, I wouldn't be surprised to see repeats of this stack within a couple of weeks and lasting for some time. I hope I'm dead wrong.

Out of curiosity, when did shows switch to current formats, I assume some sort of digital file?

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »

From the November 5, 1982 ep. Look at that jacket. I take it Bob must've won the Masters. XD

Bryce L.

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2020, 04:09:14 PM »
Must be a lot of golfers in the game show world, then, since I'm sure I've seen Gene Rayburn in that same jacket on Match Game.

catnap1972

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »
$1400 for a VCR?!?  :o  I know they weren't as cheap as what we became familiar with but that seemed super steep even for 1982.

TimK2003

« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
HEADS UP

On the show broadcast today (12/8) at 12 Noon ET, Bill Cullen came in on the choo-choo. So if they're on the 6-hour cycle, that show will repeat at 6 pm and 12 midnight ET.

All the time in the segment they spent on promoting Child's Play, yet not even an on-air mention that Bill was the original host of the show that ultimately would give Bob his most famous gig.

Bill really looked like he was having fun.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2020, 07:45:51 PM »
All the time in the segment they spent on promoting Child's Play, yet not even an on-air mention that Bill was the original host of the show that ultimately would give Bob his most famous gig.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob had a little something to do with that.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2020, 07:56:09 AM »
Fremantle does ContentID matching on nearly all of the fan uploads of their content onto Youtube.  They get ad revenue, the videos stay up, everyone wins.

They've, within the past couple of weeks, switched the overwhelming majority of episodes from September 1982 to the end of April 1983 from Monetized to Blocked (at least in the US), and for their to suddenly cut off revenue from such a specific block of content, at least IMO, gives me a reasonable first guess as to the episodes currently in Pluto's rotation (outside of stunts and specials). 

Also fits Fremantle's MO of starting with a smaller block of transferred content then adding to (and subtracting from) the rotation over time.

cmjb13

« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »
One of today’s episodes had Holly wear her neice’s shirt that basically said “I want to suck face with Bob Barker”

In hindsight....yikes!

A nice treat..They left in the Hone Viewer Showcase
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Sodboy13

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2020, 11:45:57 PM »
Have we jumped around a little into next season? I'm watching now, and I notice the main backdrop is now made of the plush material I remember from my youth instead of painted stucco, and it no longer has the border lighting.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation