Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)  (Read 100602 times)

thomas_meighan

Re: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2020, 12:03:51 PM »
In re: the condescension: -- I wonder how much of it was Barker's personality, and how much of it came from hosting "Truth or Consequences." The latter show often/usually had setups where the host and audience were "in" on whatever curveball they were throwing the participants, who were sometimes made to look a bit foolish. (These are just generalizations--I wasn't around for the 19 years he hosted it, and I've only seen what's posted online.) It's possible that he just got used to dealing with contestants in a certain way, even though TPIR didn't really call for it.

FWIW, I do recall a 1980 episode shown on GSN where he mentioned to a female contestant that he had a dog who shared her first name, and later in the show he acknowledged that he had probably offended her.

cmjb13

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »
So do we have any proof of Rod doing anything depraved in Thailand, or just hearsay?
I was thinking the same thing. I remember several people mentioning it on alt.tv.game-shows and later Golden Road, but I wonder where those rumors actually came from.
While I wasn’t there, I did have discussions about this with people close to the show many years ago and have no doubt that it’s true.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

gamed121683

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2020, 02:02:57 PM »
I wonder if anyone has kept track of the individual dates of when the episodes that have aired so far originally aired (You know, for episode guide purposes)?

snowpeck

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2020, 02:10:20 PM »
I wonder if anyone has kept track of the individual dates of when the episodes that have aired so far originally aired (You know, for episode guide purposes)?
Rest assured, the folks at Golden Road are on top of it.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

JakeT

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2020, 06:27:48 PM »
So the, uh, participants in Roddy's little adventures were at least consenting adults...right?

Uhhhhhhhh...ummmmmmm...uhhhhhhhh...ummmmmmmm...

Never ask questions that you don't want honest answers to...

JakeT

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
So the, uh, participants in Roddy's little adventures were at least consenting adults...right?
Uhhhhhhhh... [...]

Just answer the question.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PPatters

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »

Yeah, this whole “oh, I’m going to be coy” and throw around knowing something other people don’t know is just annoying. Either, don’t talk about it or do. But dancing around it just makes it even more of a big deal.
Patrick

chargeradiocom

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2020, 04:48:05 PM »
A question for those better versed in the fur era than I am... Are there really that many specific episodes where furs were offered? That era was mostly before my time, & I didn’t have GSN at home until the mid ‘00s so I missed its run there. But there don’t seem to be more than a handful of pre-‘82 episodes on YouTube specifically with fur prizes. I get why they’re withholding fur eps, but I’m wondering if they could reasonably run the other eps from those seasons—where Bob perhaps seemed a bit less condescending & chauvinistic—without missing more than a handful of shows. (And did GSN even run any fur episodes? I know they ran eps from those seasons, but Bob was already known as a pretty staunch animal rights supporter by then.)

About Bob’s condescension & chauvinism, a little armchair psychology... It’s not uncommon, when a long-married spouse dies, for it to mess with the surviving partner’s head. My belief is that this is what happened to Bob when Dorothy Jo died. He probably dove into his work to deal with his grief, which led to his promotion, but the failure to deal with his grief properly probably caused him to act out in some of the ways he did, both in front of the camera & behind the scenes. That in no way excuses his behavior, though. (I’m in no way a psychiatric or counseling professional, so take my opinion for what it’s worth.)

Also, I don’t think I’d heard the story about Roddy. (Wow, this thread has taken some bizarre twists & turns. What was the deal with this show?) As far as we know, though, Johnny O. was an upstanding guy, wasn’t he?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 05:15:26 PM by chargeradiocom »

snowpeck

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »
A question for those better versed in the fur era than I am... Are there really that many specific episodes where furs were offered? That era was mostly before my time, & I didn’t have GSN at home until the mid ‘00s so I missed its run there. But there don’t seem to be more than a handful of pre-‘82 episodes on YouTube specifically with fur prizes. I get why they’re withholding fur eps, but I’m wondering if they could reasonably run the rather eps from those seasons—where Bob perhaps seemed a bit less condescending & chauvinistic—without missing more than a handful of shows. (And did GSN even run any fur episodes? I know they ran eps from those seasons, but Bob was already known as a pretty staunch animal rights supporter by then.)
There were a lot of furs offered in the pre-1982 era... perhaps featuring in as many as half of the episodes produced. It would require quite a bit of pre-screening to eliminate those (unless somehow there was already a list of non-fur shows somewhere). It's been said that that is the main reason GSN wasn't able to include TPIR on their schedule at launch, instead waiting about two years to start showing it.

GSN only ran a couple of shows with furs, and it seemed those were by accident.
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tyshaun1

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
Uhhhhhhhh... [...]

In short, it was said that Rod was going to Thailand regularly to have sex with transgenders and underage boys.

Felt the need to put it in spolier space for those who'd rather not know.

gamed121683

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2020, 06:27:59 PM »
Anyone here figured out how the weekend schedule goes? From what I’m observing (tuning in and out), I don’t think they’re playing the same episodes every six hours.

snowpeck

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2020, 07:29:47 PM »
Anyone here figured out how the weekend schedule goes? From what I’m observing (tuning in and out), I don’t think they’re playing the same episodes every six hours.
At least for this weekend, they're repeating 12 shows each day (running each one twice), which means all 24 they showed this previous week have been repeated. Not sure how next weekend will go when they have 30 shows to choose from.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2020, 09:38:20 PM »
Unrelated to that, having watched a couple plays of Trader Bob, it's bizarre how botched the order of the price reveals is in that game. Anyone who's paying attention is being told if the game's won or lost before the final reveal.
Yeah, that's why Trader Bob was the worst of the Give or Keep doppelgangers. Completely sucking any suspense out of the reveal by the time the end came around. Like, if the 4th eliminated prize was less than the 3rd kept prize, it was clear as day as to what was going to happen. And yet, this game lasted longer than Finish Line (probably because it didn't require mechanics like Finish Line).

Bob is condescending, but people liked this. The show skyrocketed to #1 at this point and they partied and had fun. This was the time the show started cementing its status as an institution. People waited to see Bob be smarmy on TV, they waited in line to be talked to him that way in studio. Perhaps his fame and the prospect of winning blinded people from it, but no one cared. They liked reaching into his pocket. They asked him for kisses. Whatever it is they liked about him, they were *sold.* I think it was his quick wit and cavalier attitude that came off as so charming back then.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2020, 02:18:27 AM »
We'll eventually see the debut of Plinko. I wonder if we'll see the Phone Home Game. I couldn't find any info as to what year they started playing that.
Season 13 premiere, so sayeth the Golden-Road FAQ.

My wife and I were watching an episode the other night, and there was a contestant from Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Bob spent several beats of an exchange trying to correct the contestant on where in the state it was located. And my wife just said, "Bob, what in the hell are you doing this for? He lives there!"
Bob lived there for several years himself, though not in the same part of the state, but yeah, not a good start.

(she’s single; awkward exchange about what ethnicity she is ensues)

BOB: You’re no more Mexican than I am Indian.
So she's one-eighth Mexican.

daveromanjr

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2020, 08:04:32 AM »
Not trying to hijack the thread but with the addition of TPiR to PlutoTV I've been watching the free service much more than I've had in the past.  Has anyone else using a Roku had major issues with the PlutoTV app?  I've found many others online (be it on Reddit, Pluto's Facebook post comments and tech support groups online for Roku/Pluto) seem to be having the same issue.  The issue is that I have to reinstall the PlutoTV app each time I want to use it.  Otherwise it will not completely load - it'll simply play the last channel I watched but will not react to any remote inputs.  You can tell it is receiving the command from the remote as it is playing the Roku sound it makes when you hit an incorrect button or a button that doesn't do anything.  It will not let you change channel or anything.  I'm a tech person and I've tried all the typical fixes but to no avail.  A reinstall works for one go-round but then freezes after you go back into the app.  E-mails to Pluto and Roku haven't provided any fix.  Anyone else having this issue?

Also is it me or is the audience like WAY more excited about the Big Wheel than they are nowadays?  The general feel of excitement seems so much higher and it doesn't just seem like the work of Mother Mackenzie.  Bob's edginess never goes too far which shows how good of a host he is ... always in control but always making sure the contestants are the stars. 

Bob goes to prove my belief that the television personalities that are held in the highest regard are the ones that take their role seriously on air.  I understand that Drew and his crew want a party atmosphere but Bob's run felt much more fun than the "forced fun" we have now.  I swear watching the current setup forcing contestants do a gig when they come out and when they win the item up for bid is vomit-inducing.  Bob made the fact that if a person knew how many packs of gum it would take to get a total of $6 in a game then that contestant would win a new car 100% legit.