Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)  (Read 100623 times)

Sodboy13

Re: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2020, 10:04:35 PM »
The condescension may be more prevalent around female contestants, but it's certainly not exclusive to them. My wife and I were watching an episode the other night, and there was a contestant from Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Bob spent several beats of an exchange trying to correct the contestant on where in the state it was located. And my wife just said, "Bob, what in the hell are you doing this for? He lives there!"

There was also a game in another episode where one of the small prizes was like a Crayola lap desk. And on it was a piece of paper that one of the models had written "Bob Barker <3 W.G.M.C.," which he of course to great pains to note and explain. Knowing what we know now, man, take me to the Silkwood shower.

Unrelated to that, having watched a couple plays of Trader Bob, it's bizarre how botched the order of the price reveals is in that game. Anyone who's paying attention is being told if the game's won or lost before the final reveal.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2020, 10:36:05 PM »
There was also a game in another episode where one of the small prizes was like a Crayola lap desk. And on it was a piece of paper that one of the models had written "Bob Barker <3 W.G.M.C.," which he of course to great pains to note and explain. Knowing what we know now, man, take me to the Silkwood shower.
This must've been a running joke. On an episode I watched an hour or so ago, Five Price Tags featured the same desk. On that episode, the message read "Bob Barker is a Dog's Best Friend."

Bob also mansplained the hell out of Hit Me to a contestant. I understand the game confused many contestants, including that particular woman, but his explanation still came across as patronizing. Something along the lines of "So...if the price is a multiple of one, it'll be an Ace. Got it? Gooooood!"

Was the guy from Missouri the dental student who had just graduated? That exchange was pretty awkward.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JakeT

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »
[Cut to shot if Johnny O] “Isn’t that the jerk?”
NOTE: I ask what she’s talking about and she says “Isn’t that the announcer who was going overseas for those sex escapades?” I kindly reply “No”

Ahhhhhhh...so the truth about Rod Roddy has become better known, eh?

Yikes...

JakeT

JakeT

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2020, 10:47:12 PM »

There are simply some ooky things ya can't scrub away...I feel ya...

JakeT

cmjb13

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2020, 10:58:31 PM »
I find it quite noticeable how touchy feely Dian was with Barker at the end of several shows that I saw
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

cmjb13

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2020, 11:01:24 PM »

Yikes...

JakeT
Well, to be fair I told her the story years ago.
I guess she never knew what he looked like.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

JakeT

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2020, 11:18:09 PM »

Yikes...

I'm surprised more people aren't aware/haven't figured out just what his "goodwill ambassadorship to Thailand" really meant...

It's dark...sooooooo dark...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2020, 01:17:57 AM »
A Mexican lady with the surname Rodriguez appears. Paraphrasing here.

BOB: You’re not a Rodriguez...you married someone with that name.

(she’s single; awkward exchange about what ethnicity she is ensues)

BOB: You’re no more Mexican than I am Indian.

(more banter from Bob)

I’m not one to cringe at 40-year-old TV shows but that one threw me for a loop.

ETA: Same episode, female contestant walks on stage.

BOB: You’re a housewife?
CONTESTANT: No I’m a junior accountant.

Jesus, Bob*. Hopefully I won’t have to report anymore chauvinism. At least not from this episode.

*I know. I know. Some people consider them one and the same.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 12:08:52 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

golden-road

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2020, 01:37:02 AM »

Yikes...

I'm surprised more people aren't aware/haven't figured out just what his "goodwill ambassadorship to Thailand" really meant...

It's dark...sooooooo dark...

JakeT

...O_O.

SamJ93

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2020, 06:42:13 AM »
So the, uh, participants in Roddy's little adventures were at least consenting adults...right?

Between this and Bob being a royal jerk, I really don't need any more of my childhood ruined...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BillCullen1

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2020, 10:44:13 AM »
I just figured Rod was going to Thailand to get those fancy suits he wore on TPIR. I never thought anything else about it.

So by 1982, Bob had apparently not gotten the memo that it's not the 1950s anymore.

Other than that, I'm enjoying seeing these shows again, particularly for the games that have been retired, plus Pick a Pair with the ferris wheel. We'll eventually see the debut of Plinko. I wonder if we'll see the Phone Home Game. I couldn't find any info as to what year they started playing that.

Retired games I've seen so far include Barker's Bargain Bar, Give or Keep, It's Optional, Penny Ante, Poker Game, Super Ball and Trader Bob.

Allstar87

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
So do we have any proof of Rod doing anything depraved in Thailand, or just hearsay?

tyshaun1

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »
So do we have any proof of Rod doing anything depraved in Thailand, or just hearsay?
I was thinking the same thing. I remember several people mentioning it on alt.tv.game-shows and later Golden Road, but I wonder where those rumors actually came from.

calliaume

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2020, 11:36:21 AM »
A Mexican lady with the surname Rodriguez appears. Paraphrasing here.

BOB: You’re not a Rodriguez...you married someone with that name.

(she’s single; awkward  exchange about what ethnicity she is ensues)

BOB: You’re no more Mexican than I am Indian.

(more banter from Bob)

I’m not one to cringe at 40-year-old TV shows but that one threw me for a loop.

ETA: Same episode, female contestant walks on stage.

BOB: You’re a housewife?
CONTESTANT: No I’m a junior accountant.

Jesus, Bob*. Hopefully I won’t have to report anymore chauvinism. At least not from this episode.

*I know. I know. Some people consider them one and the same.
Geez.

I've probably said it here before, but I was never that big a fan of Barker TPIR for the reasons listed above--I found him terribly condescending to the contestants. (I will allow that some of them, when on stage, weren't necessarily thinking rationally.)

Combine that with not seeing the daytime version much over the first few years of the run, since I was in school, and my preferred host was Dennis James. I will admit Dennis had his share of condescending moments as well, but it felt a little less chauvinistic.

TimK2003

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »
We'll eventually see the debut of Plinko. I wonder if we'll see the Phone Home Game. I couldn't find any info as to what year they started playing that.

I once read that the Phone Home Game came out in Fall of 83.  So if that is true, and they are going through a month and half worth of episodes a week , we should start seeing the game played by February.