Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)  (Read 100669 times)

Sonic Whammy

Re: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2020, 06:49:09 PM »
I have 24/7 channels for American Gladiators, The Price Is Right, and MST3K, and they cost me a combined $0.00.
Yeah. Ain't it a grand thing?

Everything else that's been said about Pluto's minor flaws is just as true, too. It baffles me that I can have the volume on 1/100 while I'm sleeping at night and the commercial volume can still sound like it's at least at 20, which makes the 10-12 I normally have it on sound like 50. And I don't get why Gladiators gets its commercial cuts in mid segment either (not to mention that some episodes have gone missing). Between all these channels and a few extras, though, it's good to know that I'm never bored as I sit and teach from home 24/7.

I do have to say, though, I kinda wish they'd waited at least a few more weeks before they launched this channel. Less than 10 episodes in the initial cycle is a bit rough when you're trying to binge. And I'd rather not keep the channel on all day to wait and see if they next one is new only to find that I'm seeing the same ep I saw 4 hours ago (like right now, for instance). I think they should've launched NYD after they had a chance to get more episodes ready. Even if they only had enough ready to last 2 1/2 days, that's still 60 episodes, a lot easier on the abuse than 8 is.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2020, 07:12:30 PM »
Everything else that's been said about Pluto's minor flaws is just as true, too. It baffles me that I can have the volume on 1/100 while I'm sleeping at night and the commercial volume can still sound like it's at least at 20, which makes the 10-12 I normally have it on sound like 50.
This was a problem on broadcast in the 2000s; after the CALM Act was passed it went away because commercials were required to be compliant and broadcasters were required to make sure they were. (The Act legislated that programs and commercial content be at approximately the same average volume).   Currently the FCC has noted that the CALM Act does NOT apply to streaming providers, although I fully expect that loophole to be examined during the next four years.

Less than 10 episodes in the initial cycle is a bit rough when you're trying to binge.

It's a six hour cycle, repeating four times.  6a, Noon, 6p, Midnight, with the next rotation beginning at 6am ET.  And the episodes change each day.  (Yesterday was 4581D through 4591D, 4x, today is 4592D through 4602D...)

Six hours is a perfectly solid binge and a great opportunity to not miss anything while still leaving 3/4 of the day to watch other content (say, Buzzr. Or one of Pluto's other offerings). Respectfully, just because there ARE viewers who want to watch more than six episodes of Price is a row doesn't necessarily mean it's the ideal way to program this thing.

snowpeck

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
Less than 10 episodes in the initial cycle is a bit rough when you're trying to binge.

It's a six hour cycle, repeating four times.  6a, Noon, 6p, Midnight, with the next rotation beginning at 6am ET.  And the episodes change each day.  (Yesterday was 4581D through 4591D, 4x, today is 4592D through 4602D...)

Six hours is a perfectly solid binge and a great opportunity to not miss anything while still leaving 3/4 of the day to watch other content (say, Buzzr. Or one of Pluto's other offerings). Respectfully, just because there ARE viewers who want to watch more than six episodes of Price is a row doesn't necessarily mean it's the ideal way to program this thing.

Exactly. According to their social media, we're going to get 6 new episodes each weekday (repeated four times) with reruns on weekends for the foreseeable future (no idea how many are converted at this point) so that's hardly anything to complain about at this point.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2020, 10:26:22 PM »
(no idea how many are converted at this point)

Purely speculative, but based on promos and press releases (and who appears to be running the channel), would have to image we'll at least see through Plinko's debut. If no eps are skipped, it'd be the 79th episode from where they started, and I can't fathom their launching this with under a hundred episodes ready to go, especially with this project having been in the works since summer (And at least being kicked around for a year or so). Past that, 150 is divisible by 30, gets most of the way through the season, and gives them a larger buffer to still be digitizing. Past 200 to start and you start to get outside of Buzzr/Fremantle's typical MO but I mean anything's possible.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2020, 10:56:31 PM »
(no idea how many are converted at this point)

Purely speculative, but based on promos and press releases (and who appears to be running the channel), would have to image we'll at least see through Plinko's debut. If no eps are skipped, it'd be the 79th episode from where they started, and I can't fathom their launching this with under a hundred episodes ready to go, especially with this project having been in the works since summer (And at least being kicked around for a year or so). Past that, 150 is divisible by 30, gets most of the way through the season, and gives them a larger buffer to still be digitizing. Past 200 to start and you start to get outside of Buzzr/Fremantle's typical MO but I mean anything's possible.
I can't do math, but I'm guessing this wouldn't time out to Plinko's debut airing on Plinko's anniversary? I'm sure they could just adjust the schedule the day of to air it. They've mentioned having some sort of Christmas event, I could see there being a Plinko event.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »

I believe this is the point where we quote Alex Trebek and say "you don't watch it 24 hours a day".

JakeT

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2020, 06:40:44 PM »

That works perfectly for me as I do most of my game show watching at work and my five-hour shift starts at 6PM ET...sounds like repeats will be the least of my worries...

JakeT

BrandonFG

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »
This episode is from 10/1/82; Bob again promotes his "Fun and Games" tour headed to OKC and Tulsa that weekend. Assuming no one's seen it, spoilers.

Anyway, I forget what it is, but the item up for bid comes up and immediately a hillbilly-looking guy in the audience yells out "$1,024!" Bob is taken aback by such a specific bid, but the contestant misunderstands and says $1,025. Bob is then gobsmacked that the hillbilly was on the nose.

I don't remember exactly when Ted Slausson started hanging out at Television City, but even in 1982, Price had a repetitive prize problem. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JakeT

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2020, 09:42:48 PM »
Anyway, I forget what it is, but the item up for bid comes up and immediately a hillbilly-looking guy in the audience yells out "$1,024!" Bob is taken aback by such a specific bid, but the contestant misunderstands and says $1,025. Bob is then gobsmacked that the hillbilly was on the nose.

Continuing with the hillbilly theme, making Barker look rather foolish at that moment was certainly a hoot and a half!

JakeT

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2020, 05:48:53 PM »
Saw an interesting and rare plug on one of the retro shows: That of Global Van Ways being a prize delivery provider. :)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2020, 08:08:02 PM »
Yesterday's block had one female contestant from Utah who seemed to fit the profile of the subservient housewife to a T. It was pretty cringeworthy watching Bob's misogyny come alive, even calling out one heckler in a sexist manner.

I don't know how much of it was 1982 sensibilities, and how much was Based Barker, but pretty uncomfortable either way.

tyshaun1

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2020, 08:32:24 PM »
Yesterday's block had one female contestant from Utah who seemed to fit the profile of the subservient housewife to a T. It was pretty cringeworthy watching Bob's misogyny come alive, even calling out one heckler in a sexist manner.

I don't know how much of it was 1982 sensibilities, and how much was Based Barker, but pretty uncomfortable either way.
Indeed. One thing that has definitely shown through to me with these episodes is how condescending and chauvinistic Barker was toward women.

JakeT

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »

You must be talking about the Lucky Seven newlywed...I thought she was very sweet but, as was frequently the case, Barker was creepy as hell...

One aside that may result from these episodes being seen is that we'll finally be reminded that Barker wasn't as much of a god as many have claimed he was over these many years...

JakeT

cmjb13

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2020, 08:52:56 PM »
So I’m watching the other day and my wife makes a few comments..

“Why are they playing the Family Feud theme for a car?”

“Look at how young Barker is...”

[Cut to shot if Johnny O] “Isn’t that the jerk?”
NOTE: I ask what she’s talking about and she says “Isn’t that the announcer who was going overseas for those sex escapades?” I kindly reply “No”
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Casey Buck

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »

Bob was apparently quite the horndog after Dorothy Jo passed away. It doesn't help that there seemed to be a lot more women contestants in those days.

That being said, I'm still glad they're showing the episodes, warts and all (other than editing out the ticket plug).