Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)  (Read 100656 times)

chargeradiocom

Re: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 06:03:14 PM »
But not before certain people Bob fell out with were no longer around.  It'll be interesting to see if that is no longer a concern.  (vague memories of "taboo" models' faces being blurred out on some Greatest Moments special from some years back)
I can’t really see them running full episodes with edits that blatant. For the most part, Fremantle has been pretty good to run their shows with minimal, or at least reasonable, edits. Not to mention that egregious edits like that would go over with the fans like a lead balloon.

Another matter is that the TV rights agreements don’t necessarily carry over to streaming rights. As it’s been explained to me, that’s why a lot of retro networks that lease their content, like MeTV & Antenna TV, don’t stream—the rights agreements between the networks & program distributors for TV don’t necessarily apply to streaming. Whereas that’s not the situation for networks like BUZZR & COZI, where the parent companies own most of the content they run, & the shows that do have a leased component probably came recently enough that streaming rights were explicitly stated in the contract.

Perhaps this is the situation if Barker has any say on the TV rights (which IIRC we don’t know for certain). I could see Fremantle & CBS agreeing not to run fur-era episodes for philanthropic reasons, but the other Janice/Dian/Holly eps being fair game for streaming. And regardless of whether Barker has any say on the TV rights, if he or his people try to make an issue of streaming them, Fremantle & CBS could rightly tell him to pound sand.

TimK2003

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 08:28:42 PM »
It will be interesting to see just how many episodes they will run at a time before they start re-running them once or twice (like Buzzr does).

Some of their other retro channels that feature one or more shows with multiple seasons (CSI NY/Miami/Cyber, Happy Days/L&S/M&M) also show only so many from one or two seasons before playing them again.

mystery7

Re: Rumor: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV?
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
I can never unread what Kathleen said Dian told her about Barker

Sometimes, he likes to get on all fours and he whimpers and growls like a puppy, not a big dog, but a cute, little puppy in heat. What a turn on
Be sure to have your host spayed or neutered.

JMFabiano

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
It will be interesting to see just how many episodes they will run at a time before they start re-running them once or twice (like Buzzr does).

Some of their other retro channels that feature one or more shows with multiple seasons (CSI NY/Miami/Cyber, Happy Days/L&S/M&M) also show only so many from one or two seasons before playing them again.

Okay that answered my question elsewhere about how much of the runs they use. 

Now are they DVD prints, meaning the signature butchering of music on CBS's part, among other things?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Kniwt

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
OK, this was finally enough to get me to install the Pluto app on my Fire TV stick. But I have to ask: Do many of the commercials have extra-loud audio? It's annoying enough that I have to turn up the volume to hear the show, but then I get pummeled every time there's a break. And it's not just on the TPIR channel; the main Buzzr channel does the same thing to me. (Some of the ads appear to be inserted based on one's location, so maybe it's not universal.)

cmjb13

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2020, 09:15:53 PM »
OK, this was finally enough to get me to install the Pluto app on my Fire TV stick. But I have to ask: Do many of the commercials have extra-loud audio? It's annoying enough that I have to turn up the volume to hear the show, but then I get pummeled every time there's a break. And it's not just on the TPIR channel; the main Buzzr channel does the same thing to me. (Some of the ads appear to be inserted based on one's location, so maybe it's not universal.)
It’s not just you.

I submitted a comment on Pluto’s website and I got some BS response about a ticket being closed and issue resolved.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 09:38:16 PM »
Definitely a Pluto thing. I reach for the remote on a regular basis, including just now, during a local law firm commercial that seemed to escalate in volume during the actual commercial. I guess the FCC rules about commercial volumes don't apply to streaming.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2020, 09:41:12 PM »
Pluto is free, right? Just installed the app yesterday to check out the channel, and haven't done any research into it yet.

BrandonFG

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2020, 09:46:09 PM »
Yep. It's free.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 09:50:48 PM »
Definitely a Pluto thing. I reach for the remote on a regular basis, including just now, during a local law firm commercial that seemed to escalate in volume during the actual commercial. I guess the FCC rules about commercial volumes don't apply to streaming.

I have a TCL TV that has a setting that balances out the loud spots and/or music cues with the audio of the actual programming, so I don't notice it on that TV.   On my other TV, though...

^^Kevin: Yes, Pluto is a free TV app.

catnap1972

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »

Not only that but it seems like there's often two if not three commercials that are fighting over the same timespace.  Part of one, goes to some of another, nope, back to the first one, no wait, we'll skip to a third commercial.  Is their automation that crude?

Sodboy13

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
Having watched other Pluto channels, yes. At least the ad breaks are going where they're supposed to so far, though sometimes they stall and cut off the first minute or two of the next segment.

Frequently on the American Gladiators channel, the ad breaks cut in mid-event. That's the downside, and it is annoying. The upside is I have 24/7 channels for American Gladiators, The Price Is Right, and MST3K, and they cost me a combined $0.00.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

chargeradiocom

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2020, 01:55:48 AM »
Now are they DVD prints, meaning the signature butchering of music on CBS's part, among other things?

Not sure whether this tells you what you want to know, but they seem to be keeping at least some of the licensed music. In particular, I’ve heard the “Pink Panther Theme” for Safe Crackers, and the Star Trek: The Motion Picture theme in a sci-fi themed Showcase.

Having watched other Pluto channels, yes. At least the ad breaks are going where they're supposed to so far, though sometimes they stall and cut off the first minute or two of the next segment.

Frequently on the American Gladiators channel, the ad breaks cut in mid-event. That's the downside, and it is annoying. The upside is I have 24/7 channels for American Gladiators, The Price Is Right, and MST3K, and they cost me a combined $0.00.

From what I can tell, it looks like Fremantle is doing the work here. A lot of the production and imaging elements look more like BUZZR than a Pluto-curated channel:

— The Plinko chip screen bug (Pluto-curated channels usually don’t get a bug)
— Their own channel promos running at a set time of the hour (which is pretty standard in broadcasting, but Pluto-curated channels just seem to fire off their own promos at random)
— The promos have more the feel of BUZZR promos than Pluto-produced promos
— No Pluto TV ID at the top of the hour (or any TOH ID—unless you count the Fremantle signature—which is how BUZZR does it)
— Ad breaks running at the right places in the show, as you mentioned
— When the show comes back from a break, it picks up where it’s supposed to, not cutting back a few seconds like most Pluto-curated channels do

What that means in regards to the pace of new episodes, or TPIR coming to other streaming services, we don’t yet know. I’d guess they’re going to roll out new episodes at about the same pace that they do for BUZZR, for better or worse.

Yes, some of the ads are doing the same quirky things they do on other Pluto channels, but that seems to be an issue with Pluto’s ad engine, not with the channel itself. And I have noticed the issue after some ad breaks where it goes to a blank screen for a minute or 2 instead of coming back to the show. I’ve occasionally seen this sort of glitch with other new Pluto channels, but they’re usually pretty good to fix it. As a workaround, though, if it stalls on a blank screen coming out of a break, switch to another channel then switch back, & the show should be back on.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:23:23 AM by chargeradiocom »

SuperSweeper

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
Based on today's lineup so far, we may be getting six new episodes a day, beginning at 6:00 a.m. EST.

It appears that they aired six random episodes yesterday morning from 12-5 (some of which have already aired again), then began the first rotation.

JMFabiano

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2020, 11:24:44 AM »

Not sure whether this tells you what you want to know, but they seem to be keeping at least some of the licensed music. In particular, I’ve heard the “Pink Panther Theme” for Safe Crackers, and the Star Trek: The Motion Picture theme in a sci-fi themed Showcase.

It was more in regards to Happy Days and the other sitcoms, which were infamous for being torn to shreds on DVD.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.