Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Branded" starring Chuck Connors...  (Read 5168 times)

ChuckNet

"Branded" starring Chuck Connors...
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2004, 11:50:01 AM »
The show was originally slated for a Fall 1982 premiere (even made the color section of the TV Guide Fall Preview) but was pulled after the color section went to press.

A similar gambit occured just a coupla yrs earlier w/a show called "Mr. Dugan", starring Cleavon Little as a pro football player entering politics...the show was set to premiere on CBS in Mar. 1979, even having on-air promos and a TVG ad, but was pulled just before airtime when several real-life black politicians saw a preview of the first ep and found its comedic portrayal demeaning to blacks.

This was a porblem-plagued series from the get-go, however...it was originally supposed to be a continuation of Maude until Bea Arthur decided she didn't want to continue, then a pilot was produced called "Onward and Upward" w/John Amos in the starring role...after Amos left over creative differences, Little was brought in for the next 2 pilots, "Mr. Dooley", and Mr. Dugan.

It finally made it to air in the summer of 1979 as Hanging In, starring Bill Macy (ironically, late of Maude), w/his character changed to a college professor, and lasted a mere 4 weeks.

ObGameShow: A number of HI cast members, including Macy, Nedra Volz, and Barbara Rhoades were occasional GS celebs in the mid-late 70s and early 80s.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 11:42 AM\']
one was somewhat unforgettable, Private Lessons. It was really disturbing to see B&E get involved in cheesy teen sex flicks. I remember watching commercials for the movie run in after-school hours on a local affiliate and seeing "A Barry and Enright Production" credit in the ad. It did well enough to do a couple of more spinoffs.

And who supplied VOs for those ads? Jay Stewart.[/quote]
Only a few years after Jay made a guest appearance on "The PTL Club" to tell Jim Bakker about being born again.  Praise the Lord!

And Harris Katelman's been Johnny G's business partner in his post-MGP producing career.

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2004, 02:58:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 08:48 AM\'] I believe Barry-Enright was responsible for producing the 1984 sitcom "Mama Malone". [/quote]
 Last summer, I caught a Barry-Enright movie done towards c. 1989...I remember doing a post about it on EZBoard, but damned if I remember the name of the movie. All I remember is that Lorimar Productions had a hand in it. I want to say "Born on the Fourth of July" for some reason.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2004, 04:26:40 PM »
And Harris Katelman's been Johnny G's business partner in his post-MGP producing career.
Katleman was involved with Jonathan's company after the sale of MGP. Don't know if he still is.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 04:31:00 PM by chris319 »

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2004, 06:28:35 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 02:58 PM\']
Last summer, I caught a Barry-Enright movie done towards c. 1989...I remember doing a post about it on EZBoard, but damned if I remember the name of the movie. All I remember is that Lorimar Productions had a hand in it. I want to say "Born on the Fourth of July" for some reason. [/quote]
 Definitely not Born on the Fourth of July. That was a blockbuster. B&E films weren't known for those.

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2004, 06:51:41 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 06:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 02:58 PM\']
Last summer, I caught a Barry-Enright movie done towards c. 1989...I remember doing a post about it on EZBoard, but damned if I remember the name of the movie. All I remember is that Lorimar Productions had a hand in it. I want to say "Born on the Fourth of July" for some reason. [/quote]
Definitely not Born on the Fourth of July. That was a blockbuster. B&E films weren't known for those. [/quote]
I just went over to EZBoard...it was "Next of Kin."
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

ChuckNet

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2004, 12:22:21 PM »
Over the weekend I saw the most bizarre end-of-show credit while staying at my mother's house. She picks up one of the few remaining true independent stations in the country, KMCI "38 The Spot", which comes out of Lawrence, Kansas and is owned by Kansas City's KSHB-41, which used to be an indie itself but is now NBC.

How many independents are still out there? Here on LI, we have WLNY (TV-55), which signed on in the summer of 1985 as WLIG (the calls changed in 1997, I believe) and has been going strong ever sense.

They started w/reruns of such classic shows as Hart to Hart, The Fugitive, The Doris Day Show, and Peter Gunn...also among their early offerings were reruns of Pitfall and the Cullen Pyramid, which aired back-to-back from noon-1 PM during most of their year on the schedule.

Later, they started airing current syndie fare, and among their current offerings are Oprah, J!, WoF, Dr. Phil, Ellen DeGeneres, Judge Judy, and until this current season, HS/H2.

ObGameShow: Other syndie games carried by TV-55 include The Challengers, TJW '90, and the Davidson Pyramid.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004, 12:35:33 PM »
Add to the genuine indie list WCIU in Chicago (although they do carry Kids WB! programming).  They're also the current home of "Feud" and "Pyramid" and past home of "TTTT '00" second season, "TWL" second syndie season and "CS '01."  And surprisingly, it was announced this week that they will be the Chicago home of "Insider," not CBS-owned WBBM--surprising considering that "H2"'s being indirectly sacrificed for "Insider."  It'll be on in prime time--I'm guessing 7 p.m., with "Feud" moving to 7:30 p.m. to replace "Pyramid."

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004, 01:52:27 PM »
Norfolk has WSKY-4, which is actually based in Kitty Hawk, NC. They aired the second season of TTTT2K at 5:30 and 7 pm after WVBT dropped it (yet they kept Feud). They also aired the second season of WL from 6-7 pm. Now, they air reruns of stuff you can see on any other cable network (Roseanne, Married With Children, M*A*S*H, Cheers, etc.).