Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Branded" starring Chuck Connors...  (Read 5155 times)

DjohnsonCB

"Branded" starring Chuck Connors...
« on: February 16, 2004, 12:07:01 AM »
Over the weekend I saw the most bizarre end-of-show credit while staying at my mother's house.  She picks up one of the few remaining true independent stations in the country, KMCI "38 The Spot", which comes out of Lawrence, Kansas and is owned by Kansas City's KSHB-41, which used to be an indie itself but is now NBC.

Weeknights at 2:30 AM they carry reruns of the old "Branded" series starring Chuck Connors.  They just got around to the color episodes, whose end credits mention that the show is A Mark-Goodson-Bill Todman Production (this info was missing from the end credits on the earlier B/W eps, which were kind of hacked up).  Say WHAT???  I thought they gave up on drama after "Jefferson Drum" and "The Web" failed.                                                                                

Even stranger is the fact that these eps--which are closed-captioned to boot, are syndicated by King World, whose name comes at the end in scratchy film form--not videotape or anything else common to production today, accompanied by some uncommon (and startling) BG music that sound like something from 40 years ago.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 12:16:23 AM »
Yes they did other dramas including "The Rebel" with Nick Adams and "The Richard Boone Show."  They did one movie that I'm aware of, "Ride Beyond Vengeance" with Chuck Connors, Bill Bixby, Jamie Farr and Robert Q. Lewis.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 03:18:04 AM »
Goodson himself produced the movie Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 03:18:21 AM by chris319 »

GSFan

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 06:43:49 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 12:07 AM\']               

Even stranger is the fact that these eps--which are closed-captioned to boot, are syndicated by King World, whose name comes at the end in scratchy film form[/quote]
Not so strange, indeed.  "The Little Rascals" is one of King World's earliest properties, along with licensing from syndicated talk shows from the 1960's to the 1980's.

Here's a bit of trivia they never reveal about "Branded."  Chuck Connors character, Jason McCord was kicked out of the army for not knowing the former "Line" of the commander responsible for the massacre at the Battle of Bitter Creek.  In those days, WML was sponsored by a cereal company, KALLOGS of Bitter Creek.  No one really knows much about KALLOGS since its Battle Creek competitor became the more popular cereal company.

All the best to those of us attempting to qualify for Super Millionaire!

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 08:31:13 AM »
According to Maxene Fabe, G-T once - with a color TV a contestant won on the Cullen TPIR - presented a bonus prize, a cameo appearance on another G-T drama, "Jefferson Drum, Frontier Editor."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

davemackey

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 09:00:13 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 03:18 AM\'] Goodson himself produced the movie Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean. [/quote]
 Not only that, but the name Giraud Chester appears on the credits - better known as Jerry Chester, longtime G-T righthand.

mmb5

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 09:20:08 AM »
And I believe Branded was the only time G-T was ever sued for stealing an idea.  The plantiff lost the case, which was based on the pilot only, since they were not that similar.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 06:20:03 PM »
And Todman's son, Bill Jr, produced the 1991 Steven Seagal-Kelly LeBrock film Hard to Kill, for Warner Bros.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GS Warehouse

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 12:24:40 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 06:20 PM\'] And Todman's son, Bill Jr, produced the 1991 Steven Seagal-Kelly LeBrock film Hard to Kill, for Warner Bros. [/quote]
 I also remember seeing his name as a producer for one of the Major League movies.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 01:14:25 AM »
Goodson and Todman were sued by John Guedel Productions over To Tell the Truth, which Guedel claimed was a rip-off of something they did on People Are Funny called Detecto. IIRC NBC intervened and an out-of-court settlement was reached.

WML? director Franklin Heller directed episodes of the G-T dramatic shows.

A fellow named Harris Katleman was in charge of the G-T dramatic series. He came back to MGP many years later and was with the company until Jonathan and his sisters sold it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 04:31:32 PM by chris319 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 08:48:36 AM »
I believe Barry-Enright was responsible for producing the 1984 sitcom "Mama Malone".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 08:54:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 08:48 AM\'] I believe Barry-Enright was responsible for producing the 1984 sitcom "Mama Malone". [/quote]
 ENright produced the semi-forgettable 1987 film Making Mr. Right, along with a few other equally-forgettable 80s films. The clip for the Turtles' "Happy Together" VH1 Classic shows on their "60s generation" video hour is culled from the Making Mr. Right soundrtrack, with clips from the film

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 10:10:49 AM »
one was somewhat unforgettable, Private Lessons. It was really disturbing to see B&E get involved in cheesy teen sex flicks. I remember watching commercials for the movie run in after-school hours on a local affiliate and seeing "A Barry and Enright Production" credit in the ad. It did well enough to do a couple of more spinoffs. Dan did get his Emmy for "Caroline?", a Hallmark Hall Of Fame entry produced by Dan's son Don and his partner. Dan later cut them loose, claiming that part of the business wasn't profitable enough. Mama Malone was held up by CBS for around a year - didn't have a lot of faith in it. Some of B&E's non-game efforts included Soap World, Jack Anderson Confidential, and they ran a pilot week of a project called Tales Of The Haunted, a 5-night a week cliffhanger suspense-type show hosted by Christopher Lee.

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 10:22:59 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 10:10 AM\'] Mama Malone was held up by CBS for around a year - didn't have a lot of faith in it. [/quote]
 The show was originally slated for a Fall 1982 premiere (even made the color section of the TV Guide Fall Preview) but was pulled after the color section went to press.

ChuckNet

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 11:42:39 AM »
one was somewhat unforgettable, Private Lessons. It was really disturbing to see B&E get involved in cheesy teen sex flicks. I remember watching commercials for the movie run in after-school hours on a local affiliate and seeing "A Barry and Enright Production" credit in the ad. It did well enough to do a couple of more spinoffs.

And who supplied VOs for those ads? Jay Stewart.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")