Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Dare 2018 Question  (Read 3141 times)

GSRebich

Double Dare 2018 Question
« on: June 25, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »
On the recent version of Double Dare, how come losing teams don't get keep their money like on the first 2 versions of the show?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Re: Double Dare 2018 Question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 02:39:04 PM »
Budget
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 02:48:26 PM »
Budget
I know times have changed since the "old days", but I find that to be a pitiful excuse.  You can't drum up one company to pay for a 10 second plug and charge them $1500 or so to cover contestant winnings?  I also dislike the fact that Family Feud hasn't paid out a <$300 prize to losing families for years now.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »
Budget
I know times have changed since the "old days", but I find that to be a pitiful excuse.  You can't drum up one company to pay for a 10 second plug and charge them $1500 or so to cover contestant winnings?  I also dislike the fact that Family Feud hasn't paid out a <$300 prize to losing families for years now.

They don’t get the GreenDot card anymore?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 08:05:41 PM »
Budget
They don’t get the GreenDot card anymore?
I stand corrected; I'd forgotten about that since I only watch FF in passing.  Thank you. :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 09:06:45 PM »
While I wouldn't mind seeing a more tangible consolation prize like the Greendot card or the Croton watch, don't a few shows offer a decent hospitality package outside of airfare?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 01:38:19 PM »
While I wouldn't mind seeing a more tangible consolation prize like the Greendot card or the Croton watch, don't a few shows offer a decent hospitality package outside of airfare?

Isn’t Feud the only one that still does that though? And they basically have to, if you think about it, because of the logistical nightmare booking coast to coast travel can create for five people.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 01:04:50 AM »
Budget
I get that Gene is correct but I am on Mark's side here.

Double Dare isn't supposed to be about the money. In the eighties a few hundred bucks two ways doesn't set the world on fire and the bigger prize is getting to run the obstacle course. During the Family run even a grand may cover expenses and taxes on the prizes, so meh. The money is there as a scorekeeping device. DD'19 painted themselves in a corner by increasing the money in exchange for only winners keep the cash when no one would have batted an eye if the kick-off toss-up awarded $25.

This ties into something that was hugely frustrating to me as a youngster. I watched Get the Picture a bunch as a youth--it felt like the show where I would have stood the best chance as a kid to succeed. It was cool to me that the prize money was more than what would be won per person than on Double Dare--then during the second season the game was scored for points and the end game made bloody impossible. Sure, they probably saved fifty grand over the second season but they could have kept the cash prizes intact if the money amounts were lowered in the first place.

And that's to say nothing about Nick Arcade, which was played for points and then awarded $50 per item in the Video Zone. It felt like a total copout to me when the biggest cable network for kids couldn't muster up more than a few hundred dollars for only he team that won.
Travis L. Eberle

snowpeck

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 01:13:59 AM »
Budget
I get that Gene is correct but I am on Mark's side here.

Double Dare isn't supposed to be about the money. In the eighties a few hundred bucks two ways doesn't set the world on fire and the bigger prize is getting to run the obstacle course. During the Family run even a grand may cover expenses and taxes on the prizes, so meh. The money is there as a scorekeeping device. DD'19 painted themselves in a corner by increasing the money in exchange for only winners keep the cash when no one would have batted an eye if the kick-off toss-up awarded $25.

This ties into something that was hugely frustrating to me as a youngster. I watched Get the Picture a bunch as a youth--it felt like the show where I would have stood the best chance as a kid to succeed. It was cool to me that the prize money was more than what would be won per person than on Double Dare--then during the second season the game was scored for points and the end game made bloody impossible. Sure, they probably saved fifty grand over the second season but they could have kept the cash prizes intact if the money amounts were lowered in the first place.

And that's to say nothing about Nick Arcade, which was played for points and then awarded $50 per item in the Video Zone. It felt like a total copout to me when the biggest cable network for kids couldn't muster up more than a few hundred dollars for only he team that won.

You're exactly right that the money on the original 1980s Double Dare wasn't the point of the game. For the winning team, it was intended to help compensate for the taxes on the prizes in the obstacle course. In fact, the value of the Toys R Us gift certificate typically offered during the obstacle course would be raised or lowered depending on how well the team did in the front game.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)