Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC schedules game shows for Sundays this fall  (Read 9440 times)

weaklink75

Re: ABC schedules game shows for Sundays this fall
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 04:44:41 PM »
And you can now add The Chase to the lineup....

http://buzzerblog.com/2020/07/20/abc-casting-the-chase-usa/

goongas

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 01:36:55 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if ABC named James Holzhauer (and/or Ken/Brad) as the chaser.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 05:25:20 AM »
I would. They want people to watch.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 01:42:57 PM »
I could see James as part of a stable of Chasers, particularly if they want to play up the idea of the Chaser as a villain.

goongas

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 02:15:15 PM »

I am not advocating for or against him, but ABC had massive ratings when he was on the GOAT tournament in January (along with Ken and Brad).  I had read a quote from an ABC executive implying they were looking for some other show for the three players.

colonial

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 02:27:12 PM »

I am not advocating for or against him, but ABC had massive ratings when he was on the GOAT tournament in January (along with Ken and Brad).  I had read a quote from an ABC executive implying they were looking for some other show for the three players.

There was definite interest from ABC in doing something else with "The GOATs." To be honest, I was expecting ABC to try the "Beat the Chasers" spinoff format first, with a contestant going 1-on-5 with The GOATs and two other J! super-players.

The only head-scratcher I'm seeing right now is the producers seemingly focusing exclusively on former J! and WWTBAM contestants for their talent pool. The whole gimmick of the original "Chase" (UK) is finding the "average Joes" that can take down the super-quizzers.  One episode featuring, say, four of Ken Jennings' J! victims over the years might be fun, but going to the wall multiple times with that gimmick will be tiring.

JD

colonial

goongas

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »
Three new chasers,  I would imagine they would want to cast at least one female...

weaklink75

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 04:56:44 PM »
Well the three they’re talking to are the three you’d expect...

https://deadline.com/2020/07/jeopardy-goat-stars-in-talks-to-lead-abc-remake-the-chase-1202992479/

BillCullen1

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 01:35:11 PM »
Saw a promo for "Supermarket Sweep" on ABC today. Features a pic of Leslie Jones with her voice and items on a checkout counter. It says "Coming Sundays this Fall."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »
The only head-scratcher I'm seeing right now is the producers seemingly focusing exclusively on former J! and WWTBAM contestants for their talent pool. The whole gimmick of the original "Chase" (UK) is finding the "average Joes" that can take down the super-quizzers.  One episode featuring, say, four of Ken Jennings' J! victims over the years might be fun, but going to the wall multiple times with that gimmick will be tiring.
As a member of the trivia community, I’m a little conflicted. On one hand, it’s nice to see people I’ve played against get shots on these quiz shows, but to your point, I feel like the highest end shows have become a rotation of familiar faces on shows where they want “smart people”. I saw it on MasterMinds/Best Ever, and even more so on 500 Questions. 

I think you’ll see it less in the coming years though. Millionaire’s focusing on community heroes this upcoming cycle, Master Minds can’t be running too much longer based on the life cycles of GSN originals, and Alex hinted last summer that the GOAT would be the last super tournament for a while.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tyshaun1

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
ABC has updated its programming schedule as follows:

Thursday, September 24:
8pm: Celebrity Family Feud
9pm: Press Your Luck
10pm: Match Game

Sunday, October 18th:
8pm: Supermarket Sweep
9pm: WWTBAM
10pm: Card Sharks

Set your DVR's accordingly.

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 02:55:30 PM »
The Supermarket Sweep Facebook and Twitter pages posted a promo with shots of the “market”. Disregard the annoying captions.

https://twitter.com/SuperSweepABC/status/1299044362970632192?s=20

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:22:23 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »
The Chase needs the casting director used by Trebek's Double Dare. The Spoilers were wonderfully dislikable and in only three second increments.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 04:08:18 PM »
Incorrect, so we close you off.
Travis L. Eberle