Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows with no "perishable" information used  (Read 8276 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Game shows with no "perishable" information used
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 04:44:45 PM »
Win, Lose, or Draw or Pictionary? I don't remember the puzzles being too topical, but I haven't seen either one in years.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 08:32:41 PM »
The biggest problem with Pyramid is that everyone who's a fan of the game have had years and years to find "on the nose" clues to all the Winner's Circle subjects that could possibly come up. I can't write a board with "Things that are warped" as a subject because everyone already knows what to say.

Excellent point, and you can't come up with too many never-before-used categories without going into Pyramid 2003 territory.

Kniwt

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 10:44:13 PM »
Piggybacking on your point, even on games like Pyramid, difficulty goes up and down as new phrases, titles, etc. enter common parlance.

Which just got driven home in spades on this week's Match Game, obviously recorded in the Before Times:

Loogaroo

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 12:27:00 AM »
The biggest problem with Pyramid is that everyone who's a fan of the game have had years and years to find "on the nose" clues to all the Winner's Circle subjects that could possibly come up. I can't write a board with "Things that are warped" as a subject because everyone already knows what to say.

Excellent point, and you can't come up with too many never-before-used categories without going into Pyramid 2003 territory.

Trust me, this is one of the reasons why we're playing Pyramid less and less in my neck of the woods: everyone's pretty much mastered it. I know of at least one person during the Throwdowns who adopted the tactic of just blurting out the most obvious answer for a given category in the front game since I used to front-load the easier words and ramp it up as the list progressed. Had to stop doing that after I saw it happen.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Kevin Prather

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 02:21:50 AM »
I know of at least one person during the Throwdowns who adopted the tactic of just blurting out the most obvious answer for a given category in the front game since I used to front-load the easier words and ramp it up as the list progressed. Had to stop doing that after I saw it happen.

And the problem is if you stick that word in fifth or so, or even leave it off the list, that guy is gonna keep blurting it out until it shows up. That sounds almost more like a player problem.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 03:26:53 AM »
That sounds almost more like a player problem.

Agreed. The number of times I've seen that used as a perpetual, earnest strategy is 0, and I've played a LOT of Pyramid. Going easy-to-hard is absolutely the right way to keep the games competitive.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 12:49:12 AM »
I would think that the better answer (especially for our purposes if we're running an evening of fun to raise money for Extra Life) is that we all accept that the people who are going to sign up to play Pyramid is self-selecting is to introduce challenge levels by volunteering to knock increments of seconds off the clock.

As to Tim's issue with the front game: 1) the front game is the qualifier and is just talking so who cares as long as the material doesn't go into the ditch and 2) make it clear that we're not booking people who jump the turnstile and start guessing before clues are forthcoming. Or allow it because see (1).

I do not recall ever not seeing 7-11 when I was a youth on $25,000 Pyramid so the show has been part of my life for either 87% or 90% whether on or off the air. That coincides with gaining confidence and vocabulary. Unless we want to start throwing weeder topics in the 300 box (Things you expurgate, anyone?) I think we need to accept that everyone has taken Pyramid as a 401 class and lean into that if we're going to run it.

/real truth I would find "What Ben Franklin's false teeth" less crapitudinous than Expurgte.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 02:41:31 AM »
/real truth I would find "What Ben Franklin's false teeth" less crapitudinous than Expurgte.

"Things that are crapitudinous"

nowhammies10

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 09:05:58 PM »

I feel you.  Either I'm playing $100,000 Tournament-level Pyramid with people who know and love the show or, when hosting at conventions, get people who are clueless with the game and struggle to get to double digits on the front game.

/Vans' Tour

Neumms

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 10:55:53 PM »
For those of us playing along at home, what are clues to "things that matter?" And what's the obvious clue for "things that are warped?"

Kevin Prather

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2020, 11:02:14 PM »
For those of us playing along at home, what are clues to "things that matter?" And what's the obvious clue for "things that are warped?"

Things that matter before 2013 would have been very difficult, but now all you have to say is "Black lives."

"Things that are warped" was the first $100,000 winning category, and almost all of us have seen it.

https://youtu.be/C9aDsFi9cwA

nowhammies10

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2020, 11:43:41 PM »
Above, I submitted "Vans' Tour" for "Things That Are Warped".  "Rocky Horror's Time" comes to mind as well.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2020, 12:12:02 AM »
Above, I submitted "Vans' Tour" for "Things That Are Warped".  "Rocky Horror's Time" comes to mind as well.
Back in the PYLP days, I was fairly inconsistent at determining the legality of clues.  Would this, in fact be permissible?  If the category was "Things that are Brown", could someone say "Cleveland's football team"?

Saying "Van's Tour" strikes me as an end-around instead of honing in on things that are actually warped. 
--Mark
Phil 4:13

jage

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2020, 12:43:34 AM »
My first thought to Things that are Warped was a vinyl record.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2020, 01:07:31 AM »
Saying "Van's Tour" strikes me as an end-around instead of honing in on things that are actually warped.

The classic example of an end-around was "dog('s) bugs" for THINGS AT A FLEA MARKET. Certainly, one might find those there (particularly in today's dogs-are-allowed-everywhere society), but the ONLY reason you're saying it is to surreptitiously convey the word flea. This was a fairly consistent rule in the '80s; one that never made it formally into any home games, Dick Clark-era bibles, etc., however.

I'm 99% certain Vans' Tour is fine.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck