Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows with no "perishable" information used  (Read 8234 times)

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
Game shows with no "perishable" information used
« on: June 12, 2020, 10:54:36 PM »
Hi, all. I've been watching a few eps of Super Pay Cards! and it had me thinking: Is this the ONLY game show that does not rely on "perishable" information (as in stuff that could become outdated, or has finite answers, like trivia questions, word puzzles, vanity license plates [looking at Bumper Stumpers], the like), and is a purely luck-driven game? Hmm....

DoItRockapella

Re: Game shows with no "perishable" information used
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »
Deal Or No Deal? Any number of lottery game shows?

Casey

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 01:09:10 AM »
Could we put Beat the Clock in this category as well?

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 05:20:05 PM »
^ Yes, that counts.

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »
Hi, all. I've been watching a few eps of Super Pay Cards! and it had me thinking: Is this the ONLY game show that does not rely on "perishable" information (as in stuff that could become outdated, or has finite answers, like trivia questions, word puzzles, vanity license plates [looking at Bumper Stumpers], the like), and is a purely luck-driven game? Hmm....

There is definitely a high element of luck with Super Pay Cards, but there's also trying to memorize where cards are on the board, as a card that is of no use to you at that time may become useful for you later.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 01:38:09 PM »
I argue that survey driven games are not perishable.  Ask the same topical question in 1980, 2000, and 2020, and you get way different responses.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Loogaroo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 02:40:31 PM »
I argue that survey driven games are not perishable.  Ask the same topical question in 1980, 2000, and 2020, and you get way different responses.

You would still need to conduct the surveys, though. If I'm viewing this from the standpoint of "what games do I not need to write material for", then Feud or Card Sharks would not qualify.

Lingo would also be on the list, and while it does use one nine-letter word per show, it's such a minimal drag on the process that I'd include Countdown.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 02:52:32 PM »

Doesn't that mean the game IS perishable? If the question asked in 1975 wouldn't get the same answers today, then it is past its use.

That Don Guy

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 03:15:17 PM »
Feud redid a survey at least once during its ABC run, and got a different #1 answer - "Name a famous Henry." IIRC, the first time, #1 was Fonda; the second time, either during or right after the Happy Days "boom," it was Winkler.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 06:30:31 PM »
Original Password could count, probably not Plus or Super though since the puzzles could be products of their time.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Kniwt

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 09:52:42 PM »
I'll nominate 1960s Beat the Odds, although one could argue that words "added" in the decades since then wouldn't have been allowed. "S, G, 7 exactly." "SEXTING?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHZynlQ3cmk

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 09:59:05 PM »
High Rollers and Gambit are both luck-driven and if it's all hints from Heloise you could argue that etiquette doesn't really perish.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 10:02:32 PM »
I'll nominate 1960s Beat the Odds, although one could argue that words "added" in the decades since then wouldn't have been allowed. "S, G, 7 exactly." "SEXTING?"

Piggybacking on your point, even on games like Pyramid, difficulty goes up and down as new phrases, titles, etc. enter common parlance. When I was hosting Pyramid online around 2010 or so, I had "THINGS THAT MATTER" at the top of the pyramid. In 2013, that category became considerably easier.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 02:40:35 PM »
High Rollers and Gambit are both luck-driven and if it's all hints from Heloise you could argue that etiquette doesn't really perish.

Even the etiquette trivia is still perishable, because social norms change over the years.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Loogaroo

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 04:34:56 PM »
Piggybacking on your point, even on games like Pyramid, difficulty goes up and down as new phrases, titles, etc. enter common parlance. When I was hosting Pyramid online around 2010 or so, I had "THINGS THAT MATTER" at the top of the pyramid. In 2013, that category became considerably easier.

The biggest problem with Pyramid is that everyone who's a fan of the game have had years and years to find "on the nose" clues to all the Winner's Circle subjects that could possibly come up. I can't write a board with "Things that are warped" as a subject because everyone already knows what to say.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".