Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC censoring the word "God"?  (Read 4729 times)

Bob Zager

Re: NBC censoring the word "God"?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 03:58:03 PM »
When GSN was rerunning the Maury Povich hosted revival of "Twenty One," (that's right, it wasn't hyphenated!), I recall a question came up quoting the line from Peter Finch in the movie "Network," where he said "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!" 

As Povich verbally read the question, the word, "hell," was bleeped, and as the question scrolled onto the screen, the word "hell," was pixelated (or blocked). 

I recall once hearing that a contestant was once on some show and said that one of the first things he/she would do with money earned was get a new dog for their kids, since the one they had before had died.  The host uttered, "Good Lord!" and "Lord," was censored out, leading viewers to think the host said, "Good!"
You sure that wasn’t PAX, now Ion? That was a very religious network that usually muted any profanity - even damn or hell - and I remember them censoring things like you described.

Oh, maybe you're right, but whichever cable network it was aired on, I know the censoring of the word "hell," did occur.  Sorry for my error.

aaron sica

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 08:24:19 AM »
As Povich verbally read the question, the word, "hell," was bleeped, and as the question scrolled onto the screen, the word "hell," was pixelated (or blocked). 

So if they would have obtained reruns to the 1985 NBC show "Hell Town", would they just have called it "Town"?

/I'll see myself out, thanks

Neumms

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 02:59:29 PM »
So if they would have obtained reruns to the 1985 NBC show "Hell Town", would they just have called it "Town"?

I suppose they'd could have pixilated the convicted murderer, but I assume he was in every scene.

rebelwrest

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 04:03:26 PM »

I suppose they'd could have pixilated the convicted murderer, but I assume he was in every scene.

I wish so but he was found NOT guilty.  Although in the later civil trial, he was found liable for the death of his wife.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

JMFabiano

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »

I wish so but he was found NOT guilty.  Although in the later civil trial, he was found liable for the death of his wife.

You said it, Charlie Potatoes.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.