The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

NBC censoring the word "God"?

(1/4) > >>

danderson:
I've been watching the old soap opera The Doctors, and a few times, the characters say the world God, but it isn't censored,  so why did NBC censor that word on game shows, but not on soaps?  How could Eleanor Conrad (Lois Smith) and her daughter, Wendy (Fanny Spiess) get away with that, but not game show contestants?

BrandonFG:
Perhaps the same reason soap operas talk(ed) about sex and violence, while game shows didn't? Different audience. Granted, I know in 1979, housewives made up a bulk of both fanbases, but soaps were/are obviously a lot more mature with the content.

I imagine game shows tried to be fun for all ages, even if children wouldn't know what it meant for Eleanor Conrad to have an affair with Dr. Smith.

trainman:
I have no idea which two actual examples dribbled out of the OP's brain and wound up here... but I suspect the difference is whether or not it could be interpreted as "taking the Lord's name in vain." Thus, allowing scripted, measured uses of "God" on a soap opera, but editing out a game show contestant's spontaneous exclamation.

PPatters:

--- Quote from: trainman on May 27, 2020, 11:57:26 PM ---I have no idea which two actual examples dribbled out of the OP's brain and wound up here... but I suspect the difference is whether or not it could be interpreted as "taking the Lord's name in vain." Thus, allowing scripted, measured uses of "God" on a soap opera, but editing out a game show contestant's spontaneous exclamation.

--- End quote ---

I believe I did see the word God spelled as “G-d” in some game shows, though. (Specifically thinking maybe Password Plus, but I could be wrong.)

Blanquepage:
Yes, just last night on BUZZR's Card Sharks '78 repeat, there were 3 mutes when the contestant used "God" in his exclamation.
I recall the same a number of times as well on Password Plus and Blockbusters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version