Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Things You've Learned From Game Shows..  (Read 8673 times)

Fedya

Re: Things You've Learned From Game Shows..
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 08:03:20 AM »
I learned the (possibly apocryphal) story of the naming of the Queen Mary from an episode of Hit Man.

From PYL I learned what flokati is.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

mrchips

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 09:53:25 AM »
How to measure time in the absence of a watch or clock.

colonial

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
Thanks to "Pyramid," I learned how to spell and pronounce "hors d'oeuvres," as well as an introduction to three-digit addition (even at a very young age, I wanted to be quicker than Dick Clark adding up the boxes in the Winner's Circle).

WOF taught me multiplication, and I got a crash course in counting by hundreds the "Jack Barry way" on TJW.

SOTC was good when it came to subtraction, particularly with Instant Bargains.

When she was 4-5, my daughter started getting comfortable with the concept of taking letters and putting them into words after showing her a few episodes of "Countdown" on YT (she was in what my family called her "British stage," where she watched UK kids shows on YT and spoke in British colloquialisms -- "Ready, steady, go … let's take the lift, etc.".)

JD

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 10:32:45 AM »
I learned from Battlestars,.  Sex is actually good treatment for a headache.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 10:58:29 PM »
A random thing I do just came to me...I learned it from Davidson's Hollywood Squares.

Supposedly pulling your upper eyelid over the lower one, then blowing through the nose is a good way to get a speck out of your eye. Nearly 30 years later, I still use that trick.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »
On today's repeat of TPIR (6/23), I learned the contestant boards can hold bids of five numbers. One guy bid $12,995 on a motorcycle. I don't remember ever seeing that before.

chad1m

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 11:38:33 AM »
On today's repeat of TPIR (6/23), I learned the contestant boards can hold bids of five numbers. One guy bid $12,995 on a motorcycle. I don't remember ever seeing that before.
During 2017's Dream Car Week, they offered a new car as an item up for bids for the first time, so everyone's display held five digits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGxMnIaDG04

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
A random thing I do just came to me...I learned it from Davidson's Hollywood Squares.

Supposedly pulling your upper eyelid over the lower one, then blowing through the nose is a good way to get a speck out of your eye. Nearly 30 years later, I still use that trick.
From Bergeron's Squares I learned slowly pulling your tongue out allows you to stop hiccups.
This signature is currently under construction.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 11:13:52 PM »

They installed LCD displays in Contestants' Row back at the start of Season 38.  Obviously, though, they're programmed to look just like the old sportstype displays unless there's a reason for them not to.

tvmitch

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 09:37:25 AM »
It taught me to add to $750.
Two
Four-fifty
Five
Six
Seven hundred fifty dollars
You should follow me on Twitter

Brian44

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »
Pyramid taught me the definitions of "Maitre D'" and "metronome." 😁

aaron sica

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 10:27:23 AM »
They installed LCD displays in Contestants' Row back at the start of Season 38.  Obviously, though, they're programmed to look just like the old sportstype displays unless there's a reason for them not to.

Such as "Decades Week" when they took on the look of the displays from 1972.

Winkfan

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 08:42:12 PM »
The Dating Game introduced me to the term "Bachelorette."  ;) And from To Tell The Truth, the term, "Imposter."

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:30:30 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2020, 10:57:46 PM »

Such as "Decades Week" when they took on the look of the displays from 1972.

Decades Week in general was great, but they really went all-out for that '70s episode.

CarbonCpy

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 01:06:29 AM »
it's a tricky balance between "make it possible to win" it and "make them earn it."

there's only so much chrome that can distract from a weak format.

and specific to family feud: sometimes it doesn't have to be factually correct, make sense, or even be relevant to the question -- it just has to be popular.