Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale query.  (Read 1394 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Sale query.
« on: May 04, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
Note: I don't know if I should use spoiler tags here, so I'll apologize in advance if I run afoul.

I was watching some old Sale episodes on the Tube last night and I came across Crystal Miller's premiere. The champion she knocks off leaves with a little under $37K.

The champ in question is James Reynolds, who appeared the week after Tim Holleran got the lot and took three wins. Now, that brings me to my question: aren't those figures somewhat off? I seem to remember James doing a lot of buying back when he was on the show the first time (in fact, I think we established the reason for his coming back in the first place was because Jim screwed up an Instant Bargain). Unless he had to forfeit his previous winnings to xome back, I find it hard to believe he only won about $1,000 worth of tchotchkies in his first run.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Sale query.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 10:00:03 PM »
It would be interesting to go back because I think most of that period is still extant and in weekly straps as uploaded by sotcfan2003 (or some number, forgive me.) Michael Friedman spent up like a boss and hauled away $18,000; Lynne Lucas won eight grand in stuff despite being denied her major prize.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Sale query.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:33:21 PM »
See, that's why the shopping element to me was so good. You always had to keep in mind where you stood as you played along. Unfortunately it could also result in you leaving the show with significantly less dinero if you went far and got beat, but that was the whole beauty of it.

Whereas the era of the Winners Board's main goal was "just win baby". Not the worst thing, but not as tense because you know you can get something cool at any time. Sure, the closer you get to the end the more intense it gets, but at least before the bigger prizes were something to build up to rather than luck of the draw items.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:28:54 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022