Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks CBS/Syndie ‘86 set  (Read 9731 times)

SuperMatch93

Re: Card Sharks CBS/Syndie ‘86 set
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
Password is the only game show I can think of off the top of my head where the bonus round is played at home base. Every other game show I can think of involves moving to a different part of the set.

The only other ones that come to mind are High Rollers and You Bet Your Life (though the latter doesn't have much of a set to begin with).
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Casey

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »
Password is the only game show I can think of off the top of my head where the bonus round is played at home base. Every other game show I can think of involves moving to a different part of the set.

The only other ones that come to mind are High Rollers and You Bet Your Life (though the latter doesn't have much of a set to begin with).

There were several others that come to mind.  The first several bonus rounds of The Joker’s Wild on CBS were played with the player sitting at their podium to spin the prize reels and the joker/devil reels.  Face the Music’s Championship game was played in the same area as the 3 prior games.  The jackpot clock on the 50s Beat the Clock was played right behind the home base.

BrandonFG

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »
Final Jeopardy!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »
why was the decision made to change the Alphabetics board from the hanging sign to the wall after the first week or two of shows? Was it always planned that way and the wall just wasn't ready in time?

I can only speculate, but it seems like it would be a lot more efficient to have the Alphabetics board behind the wall, where it could be changed out of sight while the front game was being played. In the early days when the board flew in and out, I would imagine that there had to be a somewhat significant stop during each commercial after a bonus round was played in order to load the next set of words. Plus, either some kind of barrier would have to be brought in or the celebrities and contestant would have to be taken offstage somewhere to prevent them from seeing what was being changed.

TimK2003

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2020, 07:05:10 PM »
For some reason they decided to get away from words popping up out of the desk. For one thing, Alphabetics involved 10 words instead of the five of the old lightning round.

The earliest episodes of The Joker's Wild on CBS had the champs remain in their area while they were still trying to find their Bonus Game.

tpirfan28

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 07:05:47 PM »
The Moneymaze?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
The "Big Deal" if you consider it a bonus round.

Nick

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2020, 09:09:16 PM »
There was no "stigma" associated with the old show. For some reason they decided to get away from words popping up out of the desk.

On the subject of the old show, a question that came to mind as I have been perusing the earliest episodes of Password Plus lately: One Password staple of yore that was gone by this point was an intellect of the likes of Dr. Reason A. Goodwin or Robert Stockwell as the "authority".  Why was role of judge downgraded, if you will, to the producer?

/Though I have wondered how G-T or any of these packagers ever got such intellectuals on staff.  Seems a bit out of their league for linguist with a doctorate or a tenured university professor to be a judge on a "bread and circus" affair such as a game show, no?

It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2020, 12:46:17 AM »
it could be changed out of sight while the front game was being played. In the early days when the board flew in and out, I would imagine that there had to be a somewhat significant stop during each commercial after a bonus round was played in order to load the next set of words.

Wow, that's a lot of water under the bridge.

We didn't stop tape. A barrier was flown in and the board was changed during the main game with everyone at the desk.

Neumms

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2020, 12:42:47 AM »

Some from the 60s, Password’s era: The original Match Game, You Don’t Say!, Get the Message, The Face Is Familiar. I think Pyramid was the first to move to a special area.

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2020, 12:53:52 AM »
I think Pyramid was the first to move to a special area.
Split Second and its set, well...splitting, predates Pyramid by a year.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

RMF

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »
/Though I have wondered how G-T or any of these packagers ever got such intellectuals on staff.  Seems a bit out of their league for linguist with a doctorate or a tenured university professor to be a judge on a "bread and circus" affair such as a game show, no?

Different social mores involving work in this field- note that Mason Gross was the provost at Rutgers parallel with his work on Two For The Money, where in certain regards he was more the quizmaster than Herb Shriner was.

In terms of the shift, I have to wonder how much of it parallels similar shifts (newscasters no longer working as hosts, changes in the nature of the celebrities on game shows) that we've noticed before being present during the 1960s and 1970s- it does that changes in the image of the genre mattered a lot.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2020, 09:30:56 PM »
TBH, I always liked the CBS set better, but the NBC set has the better logo.

It was a good set, but I hated having the money amount for the Money Cards superimposed.  Should've had a podium a la the NBC version.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2020, 10:21:31 PM »
TBH, I always liked the CBS set better, but the NBC set has the better logo.

It was a good set, but I hated having the money amount for the Money Cards superimposed.  Should've had a podium a la the NBC version.

That ,and going from Automatic to Manual Freeze Bars just screamed "CHEAP".

Neumms

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2020, 10:45:08 PM »
...I hated having the money amount for the Money Cards superimposed.  Should've had a podium a la the NBC version.

That ,and going from Automatic to Manual Freeze Bars just screamed "CHEAP".

I heartily agree.