Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Triple Threat  (Read 3252 times)

Casey

Triple Threat
« on: May 02, 2020, 09:00:24 PM »
YouTube suggested an episode of this show to me so I watched it.  I don’t recall ever having seen it before, but it’s kind of a delightful musical game.  The wikipedia says it ran for a year so it must have done ok in the ratings - but I was interested in what the group thought of it.

The theme music is so typically 80s but I kinda dig it.

BrandonFG

Re: Triple Threat
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:53:00 PM »
It aired weekly in Norfolk on Sunday afternoons, but I became more familiar with the BET version a few years later. I loved that version.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »

In the closing credits, they saw that the show's theme was composed by Joey Carbone (who also did the Star Search theme) and Wil Shriner. Don't know if that's the same Wil Shriner who also hosted Small Talk and That's My Dog, though.

It aired weekly in Norfolk on Sunday afternoons, but I became more familiar with the BET version a few years later. I loved that version.

Yep! I believe in NYC, WWOR aired it on Sunday mornings. I want to say it was on after Steampipe Alley, but my memory is a little fuzzy. I remember that BET version, too! That version was on daily and it was hosted by Spencer Christian from Good Morning America.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 04:08:15 PM »
I seem to remember Triple Threat airing on Saturday afternoons; maybe it did air on Sundays as well at one point (especially prior to baseball season when Sunday was Mets day on channel 9). It seemed kind of spotty in airing; I don't remember seeing it every week and I watched a lot of WWOR growing up (they had The A-Team, that was my draw).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 09:33:11 PM »

In the closing credits, they saw that the show's theme was composed by Joey Carbone (who also did the Star Search theme) and Wil Shriner.
Both this and Star Search were distributed by TPE, so that makes sense.

I remember that BET version, too! That version was on daily and it was hosted by Spencer Christian from Good Morning America.
Correct. And it had a much catchier theme song. Unlike Jim Lange's version, each team featured no celebrities, but three generations of players, a (pre-)teen, a middle-aged parent, and grandparent.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 11:34:01 PM »
I only saw the BET version a handful of times but I thought that the family team element was kinda cool. Plus I was so used to seeing Spencer Christian as a newsman on my TV for the better part of the previous several years of my life (having worked for WABC as a weatherman and then sports guy before moving to GMA), I found it kinda interesting to see him branch out into something else.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »
I seem to remember Triple Threat airing on Saturday afternoons; maybe it did air on Sundays as well at one point (especially prior to baseball season when Sunday was Mets day on channel 9). It seemed kind of spotty in airing; I don't remember seeing it every week and I watched a lot of WWOR growing up (they had The A-Team, that was my draw).

I'll vouch for the Sundays; I remember seeing it on WWOR early in the afternoon after getting home from church and thinking how odd it was to see a game show on a Sunday afternoon. I don't remember it being spotty (it may have been), but I *do* remember it airing on Sunday.

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 09:38:24 PM »
Aaron, thank you. I wouldn't doubt you. :)

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 07:38:13 AM »
Aaron, thank you. I wouldn't doubt you. :)

You're welcome! Always here to try to help with the NYC station needs. :)