Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quiz shows on Quibi  (Read 2427 times)

bulldog_06

Quiz shows on Quibi
« on: April 23, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »
Seeing that Quibi has some competition and reality shows...Do you think they will have any Q&A quiz shows on Quibi? Could any format adapt to a 10 minutes or less show?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Quiz shows on Quibi
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 03:28:27 PM »
Cash Cab.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »
We've sorta seen it already when Buzzr first came on the scene and piloted all those YouTube versions of their popular game shows. Those seemed to do pretty well from a viewership perspective, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them try this again with Quibi.

My only knock with the first wave of Quibi programming (and I alluded to this in my recaps of Singled Out and Dishmantled) is that you really don't get a chance to meet the players, and the show goes so fast that you don't realize you just watched it. Having famous people/influencers as contestants could help fix that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »
Like Jeremy mentioned, Buzzr was on to something with their online shows a few years ago. I know we ragged on them for the execution, but a Classic Password could be done, with a bonus game, all in under 10 minutes. Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel both upload some of their game segments online, so there's definitely a potential market. Whether this becomes the new normal, I dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if a producer tries it again at some point, so long as they follow the "KISS" rule.

/Anyone need a format idea or two?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
What does the Venn Diagram of Quibi User and Game Show Enthusiast look like?

One of the things I find irritating is the idea of squidging a game format into a half hour or it bloating into an hour--Concentration should take as long as it does and game shows have also had issues with stretching for time with audience games and the like. I don't know if you can have a game show where you have contestants that people will care about and a game that comes to a satisfactory resolution? I don't think you can do three categories of Gyp-Parody and then Make Your Bet and people will be satisfied with that.
Travis L. Eberle

bulldog_06

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 11:42:11 PM »
Cash Cab.

That may be the best one. Play maybe 3 questions, up the stakes a little bit and keep the Video Bonus. I don't see how that couldn't work.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 11:44:38 PM »
I will jokingly throw in $64,000 Question because after a certain point you could literally just do one question per episode.

I will less jokingly mention that there were a handful of Japanese quizzers back in the day that were 15 minutes (including 1+ ad breaks) that could conceivably work..

And I will also just inject my take that while I understand you can tell a full story in 10 minutes--news, cartoons, and sketch comedies come to mind as examples--I think there's a natural limit on what you're going to get from a short format. If Quibi's higher-ups do think the time constraint is the sole thing they need to gain the favor of the Vine and TikTok set, then the How Do You Do Fellow Kids vibe I get from them are accurate.
This signature is currently under construction.

Otm Shank

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 01:01:27 AM »
With an intro and an outro, you can probably get 4 good games of Double Prices in.

<ducking>

jage

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 01:14:26 AM »
Cash Cab does make a lot of sense. You don't even need to condense the games, just do one game per episode instead of 3.

Panel games: What's my Line, Figure it Out, etc. again with a single segment.

Even some short-form LMAD could work.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 11:44:02 AM »

bulldog_06, apparently.

Quibi amuses the hell out of me, because it went live, and it took approximately fourteen seconds for everyone to realize that watching TV shows on your phone (especially in portrait) that are over before they begin is a dreadful user experience, never mind a monetizable one.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:56:57 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »

bulldog_06, apparently.

Quibi amuses the hell out of me, because it went live, and it took approximately fourteen seconds for everyone to realize that watching TV shows on your phone (especially in portrait) that are over before they begin is a dreadful user experience, never mind a monetizable one.

They're kinda the canary in the mine for this, aren't they? Snapchat and Instagram have proven that people will cycle through full scren portrait videos; it was only a matter of time before someone with enough curiosity and money tested to see if that engagement translated to longer-form videos.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
I think for any game show to be viable on Quibi, they'd need to have at the very least John Moschitta as host.

CarbonCpy

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 01:25:49 PM »
i was gonna say if anything, game shows are running short of content as it is -- how long do ad breaks run today as opposed to, say, twenty- or thirty years ago? Correct me if i'm wrong, but did someone here mention a show having 12 minutes of ads recently?

EDIT: actually, imma walk that one back -- there's a gulf of difference between producing for broadcast and producing for internet. different objectives, different procedures, different processes. youtube and twitch have shown us there's an audience for practically anything. program length isn't an issue -- it's about retaining viewers, and i don't think that cramming a game show into a ten-minute segment is necessarily the way to do that.

Neumms

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »
The intention, I suppose, is episodes where viewers think "get a load of this guy!" and post links.

You could restructure Newlywed Game to screw up one marriage at a time. It's not as if the couples interacted with each other. You could play Treasure Hunt in eight minutes.

The structure of WWtBaM could easily be compacted. Maybe it's adapted for returning champions--reach the top of a money tree and you get to play again. You could get a James Holzhauer, but against the house not opponents.

The Chase condensed would be cool, then it's player vs. player but you only have to introduce one contestant each episode.