Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting item from Gil Fates’ WML? book  (Read 1348 times)

geno57

Interesting item from Gil Fates’ WML? book
« on: April 21, 2020, 01:47:00 AM »
I’m finally reading Fates’ history of “What’s My Line?”, and I found out something interesting about a challenger who was featured during the Blyden era.

A fellow named David Hodo appeared, signed in on roller skates, and stumped the panel with his line: A rollerskating fire-eater. Unfortunately, the poor man set himself on fire during the demonstration of his skill. Tape was stopped as the audience and panel freaked out, and Hodo was rushed to hospital. Luckily for him, as it turned out, his burns were not horribly serious — “nothing more sinister than some reddened skin and a few patches of singed hair”, wrote Fates.

But here’s the kicker, which I didn’t find out until Googling the man’s name: Hodo later became famous as the construction worker in The Village People.

Matt Ottinger

Re: Interesting item from Gil Fates’ WML? book
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
But here’s the kicker, which I didn’t find out until Googling the man’s name: Hodo later became famous as the construction worker in The Village People.

I love when we find connections like that.  Well done!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

Re: Interesting item from Gil Fates’ WML? book
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »
Another "I never knew that" moment hit me recently while watching some old TV commercials on YT:

The poster of one of the original Hasbro Lite Brite commercial clips from the late 60s/early 70s mentioned there was a game show connection....Larry Blyden was the voiceover for the spot!