Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When Narz Concentration Was In First-Run Syndication...  (Read 7908 times)

aaron sica

Re: When Narz Concentration Was In First-Run Syndication...
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 10:05:09 AM »
Browsed through my library's newspaper database, and as far as I could tell, it never aired in DC or Baltimore at all.

In poking around a bit, looks like (unless it was an error) in at least July 1976, WMAR-2 in Baltimore (then CBS) aired it at 1pm.

calliaume

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »
I'm 99% sure it never cleared Chicago.  Only times I ever saw it were during visits to see family in NY.
I can't disprove this. I can pick up the Chicago Tribune through its database, but not so I can actually read the TV listings.

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 11:21:33 AM »
More fun.......Looks like for the majority of its run, WCAU-10 in Philadelphia (then CBS) aired it at that 1:00 p.m. local access time too. WHP-21 in Harrisburg bumped the 4:00 p.m. CBS offering to run it during the 1975-76 season, but later in the year began airing 4:00 in pattern and moved it to 1.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 11:22:55 AM »
I used newspapers.com to look over the Ft. Worth listings. For the few years I checked, the DFW market didn’t air it.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
I don't know why this didn't occur to me before. I did a little more Googling and I found this trade ad, which must have run sometime in 1973, probably in Broadcasting magazine. Note this doesn't specify for five-a-week strip or airing once or twice a week.

Not sold in the Chicago market (or Los Angeles), but it was originally on WTOP in Washington, D.C. WNBC, WCAU, WWJ in Detroit (now WDIV), KPIX in San Francisco, WTAE in Pittsburgh all confirmed.

Some of these markets may only have had four or five commercial stations, and there wasn't necessarily room for every syndicated program. That wasn't the case in New York, where I grew up (we had six stations, and the only syndicated programs in the 1970s I don't remember ever seeing were the Garagiola Sale of the Century and the 1973 version of It Pays to Be Ignorant.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:58:52 PM by calliaume »

KrisW73

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 03:48:53 PM »
I did a little research and found Concentration was on WBZ at 9am during the spring of 1978.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 04:26:01 PM »
I'm 99% sure it never cleared Chicago.  Only times I ever saw it were during visits to see family in NY.
I can't disprove this. I can pick up the Chicago Tribune through its database, but not so I can actually read the TV listings.
I can through my library--did some random checking of dates between 1974 and 1976, and no Concentration to be found.

You should see if your library's website offers it (I'm in a small suburb, so if mine has it, I would think yours would too).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

alfonzos

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 04:42:42 PM »
I remember seeing it air in Cleveland on NBC O&O WKYC/Channel 3, but I swear it only aired as a once-a-week show either at 7 or 7:30, and only for one season, if that.
Nope. Tuesday nights at 7:30 on WEWS, the ABC affiliate, for one season.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

SuperMatch93

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 04:50:05 PM »
I can through my library--did some random checking of dates between 1974 and 1976, and no Concentration to be found.

You should see if your library's website offers it (I'm in a small suburb, so if mine has it, I would think yours would too).

Yeah I checked via Proquest and it wasn't in their TV listings during its run. Chicago didn't clear nighttime Sale or Jeopardy during the 70s either, and I think they only had To Tell The Truth from 1976-78.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 06:57:10 PM »
Yeah I checked via Proquest and it wasn't in their TV listings during its run. Chicago didn't clear nighttime Sale or Jeopardy during the 70s either, and I think they only had To Tell The Truth from 1976-78.

Chicago did get the first year of TTTT (WBBM had it at 4:30).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 12:43:15 AM »
I remember seeing it air in Cleveland on NBC O&O WKYC/Channel 3, but I swear it only aired as a once-a-week show either at 7 or 7:30, and only for one season, if that.
Nope. Tuesday nights at 7:30 on WEWS, the ABC affiliate, for one season.

Again, fuzzy memory, off by 2 channels, but at least it is conformed that it was only a weekly , and just a blip at that. 

aaron sica

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 09:19:05 AM »
Bumping this for a "discovery" i made in looking at some of my old TV Guides last night.....I could have sworn I remembered seeing WGAL air "Concentration", and a June 1975 issue confirms this....They gave it the once-a-week treatment.....Saturdays at 7:30pm, before moving to WHP in the fall and getting 5-days-a-week treatment.

Offshored2007

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »
In NYC, it aired at 1 pm on WNBC Channel 4 Mon - Fri. I think it stayed there for its entire five year run. WCBS Channel 2 was airing WML with Larry Blyden at that time.
In New York, it moved to WOR/9 sometime along the way, 1976?  I could also watch it daily from WTNH, New Haven, but they were always a full season behind. Last on the cycle.

I finally pulled my old NY Fall Previews out:
WNBC (1pm. then 9:30am) - 1973-1977.
WOR (6pm) - 1977-1978

WTNH, New Haven (7pm) - 1974-1977 only.

The Monday September 10th listing for WNBC shows "Jack Narz serves as puzzle-game host for the new season." (I have a pic but having a hell of a time getting it to work with the img tag).

brianhenke

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 03:32:39 PM »
 As for Cincinnati, it aired on WKRC-TV at 7:30 pm on Wednesday nights in the 1973-74 season only.

The competition it had (on November 7, 1973):

WLWT: Bobby Goldsboro Show
  WCPO: Dusty's Trail
  WXIX: Lucy Show

WKRC carried the NBC Concentration up until it ended on March 23, 1973. "Tall 12" also carried other NBC Daytime programs like Who, What or Where Game because WLWT still had Paul Dixon and Bob Braun's 50-50 Club then (the 1973-74 season was the season of Braun's game show, On The Money).

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »
Wait wait wait wait.

Was the 1970s the decade where any schmuck or group of schmucks who had chart success immediately got a TV show?

Not saying Bobby Goldsboro is a schmuck, per se, but we did get a show from Starland Vocal Band after all.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022