Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When Narz Concentration Was In First-Run Syndication...  (Read 7910 times)

TimK2003

When Narz Concentration Was In First-Run Syndication...
« on: April 17, 2020, 08:26:13 PM »
I think years ago, we lightly touched on this topic, but now that Narz Concentration is more than just a fuzzy memory, I think we should revisit it:

When the syndicated Concentration first came out in the 70's, did your market air it as a daily or as a weekly program?

I remember seeing it air in Cleveland on NBC O&O WKYC/Channel 3, but I swear it only aired as a once-a-week show either at 7 or 7:30, and only for one season, if that.

Anyone else recall a less-than-daily run in their markets, or has any TV Guide collectors seen syndie Concentration air as a once or twice-a-week offering in a market?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: When Narz Concentration Was In First-Run Syndication...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:54:49 PM »
Daily here as far as I knew.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 11:06:40 PM »
It was daily in our area, both on a Buffalo and a Toronto station.

However, in my TVGuide collecting over the years, I noticed that there are some markets which aired it just once a week in the "checkerboard" time periods.  Can't recall which ones off the top of my head.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 11:49:30 PM »
In NYC, it aired at 1 pm on WNBC Channel 4 Mon - Fri. I think it stayed there for its entire five year run. WCBS Channel 2 was airing WML with Larry Blyden at that time.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:58:57 AM »
I remember it twice a week in Pittsburgh, and even then I think it must not have gotten great ratings; I don’t believe I ever saw a Bonus Number, Free Look, or Call 3 game back then.
czambo@mac.com

Offshored2007

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 08:14:34 AM »
In NYC, it aired at 1 pm on WNBC Channel 4 Mon - Fri. I think it stayed there for its entire five year run. WCBS Channel 2 was airing WML with Larry Blyden at that time.
In New York, it moved to WOR/9 sometime along the way, 1976?  I could also watch it daily from WTNH, New Haven, but they were always a full season behind. Last on the cycle.

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 08:15:57 AM »
In New York, it moved to WOR/9 sometime along the way, 1976?  I could also watch it daily from WTNH, New Haven, but they were always a full season behind. Last on the cycle.
Channel 9, 6pm. Part of a game show block that included Joker's Wild and Bowling for Dollars. I remember it well! :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
Channel 9, 6pm. Part of a game show block that included Joker's Wild and Bowling for Dollars. I remember it well! :)
From memory:

The WOR game show block started around January 1, 1977 with reruns of the latter-day CBS Joker's Wild and original episodes of the Larry Kenney-hosted Bowling for Dollars. (New York Mets broadcaster Bob Murphy had hosted a previous run of the show for a short time a few years before.) By the fall of 1977, the block was expanded to two hours, and included first-run syndicated episodes of The Joker's Wild, Bowling for Dollars, The Hollywood Connection, and Concentration.

Concentration had been in the 1 PM time slot on WNBC for several years (before that, It's Your Bet had run there, and I'm guessing before that it was PDQ). NBC and CBS didn't program anything in the 1 PM slot for a very long time. WNBC ran Somerset at 4 PM for several years, followed by a 90-minute movie and then local news. Sometime in 1974, WNBC expanded their local newscast to two hours, from 5 to 7 PM (which wasn't a bad idea; the competition was Mike Douglas on WCBS, another movie on WABC, and kid-oriented programming on the three independent stations). My memory is Somerset stayed put and WNBC programmed several different shows in the 4:30 time slot (Room 222 reruns for awhile, and then The Diamond Head Game). In the fall of 1975 WNBC switched to Marcus Welby, MD reruns (under the title Robert Young, Family Doctor, since it was still in first run on ABC) from 4 to 5--my guess is Somerset moved to 1 PM and Concentration probably got bumped back to 9:30 AM for the next year or more. (I don't remember when Phil Donahue took over the 9 to 10 AM time slot.) If somebody has a good New York metropolitan area TV Guide collection, they can adjust or verify this.

And yet I can't remember where I left my car keys just now.

weaklink75

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 02:32:28 PM »
Browsed through my library's newspaper database, and as far as I could tell, it never aired in DC or Baltimore at all.

(DC was a strange market- don't know if happened in other places, but the ABC station aired some of the CBS daytime programming back then as the CBS station did a local morning show)

That Don Guy

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
In San Francisco, KPIX aired it weekly, as part of its "Five on 5" block (weeknights at 7:30 - Dealers Choice, TPIR, Concentration, New Treasure Hunt, and Name That Tune (although before it got NTT, it aired Garry Moore TTTT, which was also a daily - in fact, KBHK (now KBCW) had aired it daily before then)).

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 06:10:20 PM »
Browsed through my library's newspaper database, and as far as I could tell, it never aired in DC or Baltimore at all.

(DC was a strange market- don't know if happened in other places, but the ABC station aired some of the CBS daytime programming back then as the CBS station did a local morning show)
Same for Norfolk/Virginia Beach. Didn't see it as a daily or weekly show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mmb5

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 07:32:02 PM »
Detroit had the first three seasons on 9 AM on the NBC station.  For the fourth season, they decided to go with That Girl reruns.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 11:31:24 PM »
I'm 99% sure it never cleared Chicago.  Only times I ever saw it were during visits to see family in NY.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 03:02:41 AM »
I'm 99% sure it never cleared Chicago.  Only times I ever saw it were during visits to see family in NY.

NO "Concentration" in Chicago???  The third-largest TV market in the U.S. and they didn't bother with a game that I thought sure would air on all the NBC-Owned stations!  That puts them on a par with Des Moines as far as Narz "Concentration" AND "Live! With Regis and Kathie Lee" were concerned  >:(
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

tvwxman

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 05:04:07 AM »
I moved from NYC to Miami in 78. Miami didn't air it Was crushed.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"