Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr changes, effective 5/4/20  (Read 10008 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Buzzr changes, effective 5/4/20
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 09:31:30 PM »
Buzzr has tried Louie Anderson's version on weekdays a couple times and Karn's was in that Friday night block with Temptation and Celebrity Name Game for a while.
I sit corrected. Somehow this escaped me. Thanks.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »
Also: Because Fremantle owns the channel, the base of content they have to work from without having a format shift is going to pretty heavily restrict them to shows from Pre-1995 in general anyway.  The pool of stuff post-Goodson is honestly quite shallow. (Although honestly I'm kind of hoping to see the 2002 Beat the Clock revival turn up at some point and honestly?  I think Match Game '98 is worth a revisit)
I've come to a theory that Buzzr works best as the "oldies" station and stuff like Temptation and CNG don't fit the format. Supermarket Sweep is the occasional 90's song that probably shouldn't be on the station but people like it anyway.
This signature is currently under construction.

snowpeck

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 09:56:30 PM »
Buzzr has tried Louie Anderson's version on weekdays a couple times and Karn's was in that Friday night block with Temptation and Celebrity Name Game for a while.
I sit corrected. Somehow this escaped me. Thanks.
They also posted a selection of O'Hurley episodes to Amazon Prime but for some reason have never shown them on air.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

gromit82

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 10:06:40 PM »
I know GSN aired a Louie episode a few years ago, along with the Karn run, but I'm surprised the first decade of Feud hasn't aired on Buzzr, even in a weekend capacity or one-off. If they're going with recent properties (recent meaning since 2000), why not go with one that at least scored decent ratings?

I'm not sure I understand. Which "first decade" of Feud do you mean?

TimK2003

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 10:06:49 PM »
Bzzz only did a year in first run as well although reruns kept going for a few years in late night, and clearly didn't have nostalgia beyond a short burst, while Celebrity Name Game has zero nostalgia factor and wasn't ever THAT great of a performer in many cities - honestly, outside of about a dozen stalwarts first run syndication has been a dying market for years

Also: Because Fremantle owns the channel, the base of content they have to work from without having a format shift is going to pretty heavily restrict them to shows from Pre-1995 in general anyway.  The pool of stuff post-Goodson is honestly quite shallow. (Although honestly I'm kind of hoping to see the 2002 Beat the Clock revival turn up at some point and honestly?  I think Match Game '98 is worth a revisit)

I would like to see the 2000-2002 To Tell the Truth again, but IMHO the 1998 Match Game and 2001 Card Sharks were good examples of how not to reboot a property, and probably wouldn't be worth more than a once-in-a-blue-moon spot.
I know GSN aired a Louie episode a few years ago, along with the Karn run, but I'm surprised the first decade of Feud hasn't aired on Buzzr, even in a weekend capacity or one-off. If they're going with recent properties (recent meaning since 2000), why not go with one that at least scored decent ratings?

Unless they don't wanna confuse the viewers who might wonder why Al from Home Improvement is hosting Feud.

I'll take MG'90 on Buzzr over MG'98 any day of the week.

I also hear O'Hurley Feud is airing on UP/Faith And Family channel (via The Roku Channel). 

/And then, over one fateful weekend in September 2010, Steve Harvey replaced John O'Hurley and Family-Friendly Feud turned info Phallic-Friendly Feud.

JMFabiano

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 10:10:28 PM »
Bzzz only did a year in first run as well although reruns kept going for a few years in late night, and clearly didn't have nostalgia beyond a short burst, while Celebrity Name Game has zero nostalgia factor and wasn't ever THAT great of a performer in many cities - honestly, outside of about a dozen stalwarts first run syndication has been a dying market for years

Annie Wood's very nice and she did some promos for Bzzz, but I can't imagine any of the 1990s dating shows ever getting significant viewership 25 or more years later--including Studs and Singled Out, which were more popular.

I would like to see the 2000-2002 To Tell the Truth again, but IMHO the 1998 Match Game and 2001 Card Sharks were good examples of how not to reboot a property, and probably wouldn't be worth more than a once-in-a-blue-moon spot.

Unless they don't wanna confuse the viewers who might wonder why Al from Home Improvement is hosting Feud.

Shoot, they should put DAWSON AND COMBS at a time beyond the wee hours they put it on these days. 

I'd like to finally see Match Game '90 somewhere on the schedule as well.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 10:41:32 PM »

I'm not sure I understand. Which "first decade" of Feud do you mean?
Current run, 1999-2009.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 03:35:08 AM »
IMHO the 1998 Match Game and 2001 Card Sharks were good examples of how not to reboot a property, and probably wouldn't be worth more than a once-in-a-blue-moon spot.

Just before I moved a couple of months ago, one of the last tapes I digitized before the move was literally nothing but Bergeron HS (still a gem) and MG 98

And honestly I was surprised by how overall charmed I was by the show.  The theme's an outright bop, Michael Burger was fantastic, and while dropping a celebrity and keeping the bonus prize at five grand feels weird and cheap, I didn't hate the "all stars play every round" concept.  And for my money the show's two sets are the two best the franchise has had.

The jokes tend to skew a bit too topical, but honestly calling anything about a show *dated* when in comparison to 70s Match Game is a riot, and I didn't even find Judy Tenuda *that* bad. 

chargeradiocom

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
Schedules for May 4 to 11 are out, and there are a few moves and switches...

Now You See It 74 is now on Sunday nights from 10 to 11pm (with repeat from 1 to 2am Sunday/Monday),

YAY!!!!!

with Body Language 85 moving into NYSI's current slot of 4 to 5am Saturday/Sunday.

BOOOO!!!!!

Fully agree.

Though I wonder, are we to take the upgrade of Narz on the schedule as a good sign for 70s Concentration?

Even before this conversation, I’ve wondered... if they feel they must include a 21st Century show on the schedule, why not Karn or O’Hurley Feud? While O’Hurley’s probably has more goodwill with the classics fans overall, either version should be recognizable to casual viewers (more so, I’d think, than CNG or Temptation), yet still old enough it shouldn’t cause any friction with stations airing the current version.

I've come to a theory that Buzzr works best as the "oldies" station and stuff like Temptation and CNG don't fit the format. Supermarket Sweep is the occasional 90's song that probably shouldn't be on the station but people like it anyway.

As a former radio guy, I dig this analogy. :D

Shoot, they should put DAWSON AND COMBS at a time beyond the wee hours they put it on these days. 

Yeah, what exactly has happened with Dawson & Combs? I thought Dawson Feud was a BUZZR stalwart in the early days, and Combs was a reliable midcarder. (Working in some wrestling talk for you, JMFabiano. ;)) Was it a ratings thing? I’m surprised that a couple of their presumably most recognizable classics would be buried the way they’ve been.

(And oddly, Combs Feud still has a pretty heavy presence on their social media.)

Just before I moved a couple of months ago, one of the last tapes I digitized before the move was literally nothing but Bergeron HS (still a gem) and MG 98

And honestly I was surprised by how overall charmed I was by the show.  The theme's an outright bop, Michael Burger was fantastic, and while dropping a celebrity and keeping the bonus prize at five grand feels weird and cheap, I didn't hate the "all stars play every round" concept.  And for my money the show's two sets are the two best the franchise has had.

The jokes tend to skew a bit too topical, but honestly calling anything about a show *dated* when in comparison to 70s Match Game is a riot, and I didn't even find Judy Tenuda *that* bad.

I’m usually willing to give any game show a chance and at least watch a full episode before passing judgment. I started an episode of MG ‘98 & gave up on it. It just wasn’t connecting for me, and I thought Judy was too much.

But that’s just me. To each their own.

Bryce L.

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 01:49:00 PM »
Though I wonder, are we to take the upgrade of Narz on the schedule as a good sign for 70s Concentration?
That's how I'm taking it. Part of me is almost looking for NYSI to get another five-a-week slot before 2020 is out.

Even before this conversation, I’ve wondered... if they feel they must include a 21st Century show on the schedule, why not Karn or O’Hurley Feud?
I'd be more on-board for O'Hurley TTTT myself, but his run of Feud wouldn't be bad either.

JMFabiano

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 02:22:32 PM »
That's how I'm taking it. Part of me is almost looking for NYSI to get another five-a-week slot before 2020 is out.

If so, wonder if his BTC could be possible for the future as well? 

Yeah, what exactly has happened with Dawson & Combs? I thought Dawson Feud was a BUZZR stalwart in the early days, and Combs was a reliable midcarder. (Working in some wrestling talk for you, JMFabiano. ;)) Was it a ratings thing? I’m surprised that a couple of their presumably most recognizable classics would be buried the way they’ve been.

(And oddly, Combs Feud still has a pretty heavy presence on their social media.)

Now this is by no means THE answer.  That I know of.  But I heard speculation about especially the Dawson eps. being "cancel cultured"/#MeToo'ed by Buzzr...you know, because of the kissing women and all.   
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Sodboy13

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2020, 02:33:14 PM »
You are really going to need to cite a source on that one.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 02:56:13 PM »
IMHO the 1998 Match Game and 2001 Card Sharks were good examples of how not to reboot a property, and probably wouldn't be worth more than a once-in-a-blue-moon spot.

I have to disagree with the last paragraph. Judy Tenuta and her accordion was far worse than fingernails on a blackboard. Then there were answers given by celebs and contestants not suitable for airing and had to be bleeped. This occurred more often than it should have.

BillCullen1

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
I'd be more on-board for O'Hurley TTTT myself, but his run of Feud wouldn't be bad either.

Seconded. If this comes to be, I show they show the TTTT ep with Kitty Carlisle. The show itself was okay, but there were times when Paula Poundstone got on my nerves.

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »
MG 98 was okay. It's not going in my upper tier of MG revivals, but it was watchable. Like Chelsea said, the Clinton jokes were no different than the Nixon jokes in the 70s, although I think the Clinton jokes were a lot more common. I didn't mind the punny categories versus A and B, but the dirty humor was take it or leave it for me. By 1998, with all the trash talk shows in daytime and South Park at night, there just wasn't much of an envelope left to push on TV. Like Bill said, there were a lot of censored answers on this version that kinda took away the fun, even if you could easily put 2+2 together about what was on the card.

IMO, what hurt more was the panel had very little chemistry, and Michael Burger had to do a lot of tap dancing to pad the show. That's not to say he was a bad host, but that show was very lean for a game that plays off of spontaneity and witty banter. I also seem to remember the judges being veeeeeeery lenient on what did and didn't match.

The $5,000 always felt cheap to me, for this to be syndicated and not on basic cable.