Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr changes, effective 5/4/20  (Read 10011 times)

Bryce L.

Buzzr changes, effective 5/4/20
« on: April 13, 2020, 11:10:28 AM »
Schedules for May 4 to 11 are out, and there are a few moves and switches...

• Sale of the Century (weekdays at 9am) switches over to the 1988 shows once more, beginning at episode 1410 (July 12, 1988)
  • Supermarket Sweep (weekdays at 9:30am) switches back into 1993 again, starting at episode 1394.
  • For at least the week of May 4, Press Your Luck is airing episodes from 1985 (these look to be episodes from one of their prior gimmick marathons)
  • Card Sharks with Jim Perry (weeknights at 9:30pm) rewinds back to 1978, picking up at episode 103 (September 13, 1978)
  • Card Sharks with Bob Eubanks once again has a weekend slot, airing from 7 to 8pm Saturday evenings. This shoves Bzzz! into Saturday/Sunday overnights from 2 to 3am, replacing To Tell The Truth 73 in that slot.
  • Now You See It 74 is now on Sunday nights from 10 to 11pm (with repeat from 1 to 2am Sunday/Monday), with Body Language 85 moving into NYSI's current slot of 4 to 5am Saturday/Sunday.

Chelsea Thrasher

Re: Buzzr changes, effective 5/4/20
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »
This shoves Bzzz! into Saturday/Sunday overnights from 2 to 3am, replacing To Tell The Truth 73 in that slot.

Probably the most meaningful of what are some relatively minor changes. (Good to see NYSI getting a little love, though).

It was an outside licensed show and Buzzr testing the water on relationship shows (something Goodson generally didn't do) - and fairly heavily promoted on the network - but is now being pushed to one of the lowest rated slots on cable - now replaced with another cycle of Card Sharks '86.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »
Aww, I was actually getting kinda getting into Bzzz!...but also not surprised.

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 02:14:42 PM »
With the exception of Temptation, of the post-1990 shows they had added to the schedule, nothing has lasted more than a couple of months.

This despite the shows (Bzzz, Temptation, Celebrity Name Game) being newer and fresher than Buzzr's other offerings.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 02:20:19 PM »
With the exception of Temptation, of the post-1990 shows they had added to the schedule, nothing has lasted more than a couple of months.

This despite the shows (Bzzz, Temptation, Celebrity Name Game) being newer and fresher than Buzzr's other offerings.

How long has Supermarket Sweep been on there? Seems to be doing pretty well.

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »

I should have said shows that originally began post-1995.   Sweep began *in* 1990.

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »

Sweep has been there since January 2018.

Winkfan

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »
Schedules for May 4 to 11 are out, and there are a few moves and switches...

Now You See It 74 is now on Sunday nights from 10 to 11pm (with repeat from 1 to 2am Sunday/Monday),

YAY!!!!!

with Body Language 85 moving into NYSI's current slot of 4 to 5am Saturday/Sunday.

BOOOO!!!!!

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 04:42:44 PM »

Temptation was a ratings disaster in it's original run, never cracking a 1.0 as far as I can recall. Despite that, on Buzzr it ran for close to a year at 7:30pm ET (Concentration '76s current slot) in 2019. (Edit: 1/14/19 to 9/27/19) -  It's Buzzr run has honestly probably been more successful than it's syndication run.

Bzzz only did a year in first run as well although reruns kept going for a few years in late night, and clearly didn't have nostalgia beyond a short burst, while Celebrity Name Game has zero nostalgia factor and wasn't ever THAT great of a performer in many cities - honestly, outside of about a dozen stalwarts first run syndication has been a dying market for years

Also: Because Fremantle owns the channel, the base of content they have to work from without having a format shift is going to pretty heavily restrict them to shows from Pre-1995 in general anyway.  The pool of stuff post-Goodson is honestly quite shallow. (Although honestly I'm kind of hoping to see the 2002 Beat the Clock revival turn up at some point and honestly?  I think Match Game '98 is worth a revisit)

calliaume

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
Bzzz only did a year in first run as well although reruns kept going for a few years in late night, and clearly didn't have nostalgia beyond a short burst, while Celebrity Name Game has zero nostalgia factor and wasn't ever THAT great of a performer in many cities - honestly, outside of about a dozen stalwarts first run syndication has been a dying market for years

Also: Because Fremantle owns the channel, the base of content they have to work from without having a format shift is going to pretty heavily restrict them to shows from Pre-1995 in general anyway.  The pool of stuff post-Goodson is honestly quite shallow. (Although honestly I'm kind of hoping to see the 2002 Beat the Clock revival turn up at some point and honestly?  I think Match Game '98 is worth a revisit)
Annie Wood's very nice and she did some promos for Bzzz, but I can't imagine any of the 1990s dating shows ever getting significant viewership 25 or more years later--including Studs and Singled Out, which were more popular.

I would like to see the 2000-2002 To Tell the Truth again, but IMHO the 1998 Match Game and 2001 Card Sharks were good examples of how not to reboot a property, and probably wouldn't be worth more than a once-in-a-blue-moon spot.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 08:08:39 PM »
Temptation was a ratings disaster in it's original run, never cracking a 1.0 as far as I can recall.
If I'm remembering correctly, the 1.0 they got was only for the preview shows that aired on MyNetworkTV, with the series floating between 0.4 and 0.6.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 08:12:21 PM »

Annie Wood's very nice and she did some promos for Bzzz, but I can't imagine any of the 1990s dating shows ever getting significant viewership 25 or more years later--including Studs and Singled Out, which were more popular.

I would like to see the 2000-2002 To Tell the Truth again, but IMHO the 1998 Match Game and 2001 Card Sharks were good examples of how not to reboot a property, and probably wouldn't be worth more than a once-in-a-blue-moon spot.
I know GSN aired a Louie episode a few years ago, along with the Karn run, but I'm surprised the first decade of Feud hasn't aired on Buzzr, even in a weekend capacity or one-off. If they're going with recent properties (recent meaning since 2000), why not go with one that at least scored decent ratings?

Unless they don't wanna confuse the viewers who might wonder why Al from Home Improvement is hosting Feud.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 08:15:18 PM »
Unless they don't wanna confuse the viewers who might wonder why Al from Home Improvement is hosting Feud.

Or where all the dick jokes are.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »

Or where all the dick jokes are.
I LOL'd. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 09:21:49 PM »

I know GSN aired a Louie episode a few years ago, along with the Karn run, but I'm surprised the first decade of Feud hasn't aired on Buzzr, even in a weekend capacity or one-off. If they're going with recent properties (recent meaning since 2000), why not go with one that at least scored decent ratings?

Buzzr has tried Louie Anderson's version on weekdays a couple times and Karn's was in that Friday night block with Temptation and Celebrity Name Game for a while.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)