Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows "In The Spotlight"  (Read 1424 times)

TimK2003

Game Shows "In The Spotlight"
« on: April 13, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »
Watching a lot of old game shows during my staycation furlough, and have taken notice of a few shows that used manual spotlights that were for introductions and whatnot.

-- MGHSH for the celeb intros.
-- Classic Concentration for the cars and Alex's entrance.
-- TTTT '90 for the intros.

One common thread here is that these 3 shows came from NBC Burbank and likely from the Carson studio where the spotlights were already installed.

What other game shows regularly employed manually-operated spots?  Obviously, I'm not including modern shows, like Millionaire, that have synchronized lighting displays.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
Re: Game Shows "In The Spotlight"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »
I seem to recall them running a followspot on the model (I don't think it was Carol Merrill) on the intro of the LMAD pilot. Coincidentally, that was also in studio 1 at NBC (but I think the other shows you mentioned were in studios 2, 3, or 4).

On the non-NBC front, I can mention the 1986 TPIR specials.

nowhammies10

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 08:32:29 PM »
Wheel in the mid-'90s used a followspot when Pat and Vanna were introduced.  I wanna say the earliest Sony days, so somewhere around '95-96?

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:31:58 PM »
Wheel in the mid-'90s used a followspot when Pat and Vanna were introduced.  I wanna say the earliest Sony days, so somewhere around '95-96?

Back in the TV City days too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ud7cbAVCrs

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »
On the non-NBC front, I can mention the 1986 TPIR specials.
I believe the Davidson version used them as well. Back on the NBC front, you could add Perry's $ale.

Also, Lange's Dating Game.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!