Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Monty Hall article  (Read 2125 times)

SamPrainito

Monty Hall article
« on: April 12, 2020, 04:14:40 AM »
Haven’t seen this mentioned, but it was on the front of my Google homepage tonight.

Nice profile of Monty’s career, with lots of input from Adam Nedeff.  Looking forward to his “Big Dealer” book!

https://www.closerweekly.com/posts/heres-what-happened-to-lets-make-a-deal-host-monty-hall/

danderson

Re: Monty Hall article
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 08:06:23 AM »
Wow. Monty makes an interesting point about the noon slot even then being a death slot: "‘My impression was ABC wanted to punish us for the fact  that the hour-long format didn’t work, so they move the show to the noon time slot.’ At that point, noon was the death slot on the networks, because more and more of the local stations were beginning to do newscasts(my ABC affiliate didn't then, and wouldn't till 1989, so they carried LMAD then). At that point only half the country was able to watch the show and it was off the air by July 1976.”

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »
Question about newscasts at noon: does it seem to anyone else that the O&Os were the last ones to jump on that bandwagon? WCBS was an early proponent, in either 1987 or 88 (I knew this bit forgot), but it was another five years before WABC joined them. WNYW had a midday for awhile but dropped it and WNBC didn't get back into one until about ten years ago.

Or was that because of obligations to the networks (in Fox's case not)?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »
Question about newscasts at noon: does it seem to anyone else that the O&Os were the last ones to jump on that bandwagon? WCBS was an early proponent, in either 1987 or 88 (I knew this bit forgot), but it was another five years before WABC joined them. WNYW had a midday for awhile but dropped it and WNBC didn't get back into one until about ten years ago.

I can pinpoint exactly when WABC's noon newscast began - September 21, 1992, when "Home" (which had been airing 90 minutes from 11am-12:30pm since July 1991) went back to an hour and the noon timeslot went back to the affiliates.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »
I can pinpoint exactly when WABC's noon newscast began - September 21, 1992, when "Home" (which had been airing 90 minutes from 11am-12:30pm since July 1991) went back to an hour and the noon timeslot went back to the affiliates.

I figured it was either late 1992 or early 1993 but wasn't entirely positive about the dates. All I knew was that one day I picked up on said newscast while I was sick with chickenpox. Channel 7 pried Victoria Corderi away from CBS to anchor the broadcast with a young E.D. Hill (going by her maiden last name back then and spelling her first name Edye). That pairing did not last long at all.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

danderson

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 08:02:45 PM »
but then how did super password last for so long, with more and more of the local stations were beginning to do newscasts at noon?

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:21:25 PM »
but then how did super password last for so long, with more and more of the local stations were beginning to do newscasts at noon?

Perhaps the other networks were "encouraging" their affiliates a little harder to do a noon newscast.

The Cleveland NBC station was an O&O at the time and so they carried the entire network offerings.  It wasn't until they sold their O&O (IIRC, to Metromedia) before they began doing a noon news.  By that time, SP was already gone from the daytime schedule.  The ABC and CBS stations in Cleveland always had noon newscasts going back to at least the early 70s, while the shoestring-budget ABC channel in Akron never did.

Toledo's NBC affil had a noon news for quite a while by that time, so the noon programs were never seen there. (However, 12:30 programs, like Wordplay, were still seen).

I don't recall the NBC affilliate in Detroit airing a noon newscast, so they most likely aired SP. 

trainman

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 10:38:36 PM »
And, of course, there were three mainland time zones in which "Super Password" was not at noon.
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 02:59:35 PM »
The article itself was very fascinating, but as a former journalist, I cringe every time I see a “Here’s What/Where/Why ___” as a headline. I know it’s SEO-related, but I find it so lazy and overdone now. Almost makes me miss the days of “You wouldn’t believe what happened next!”

/end rant
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 04:49:26 PM »
Headline trick #3 will shock you, Brandon.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post