Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 4/7 Concentration--passing a turn  (Read 6188 times)

Mike Tennant

Re: 4/7 Concentration--passing a turn
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 10:47:57 PM »
In the 4/10 episode, one contestant, a young, presumably single male, revealed "Child's Toys," "Take 1 Gift," and then a wild card. The other contestant had nothing to take, so he wasn't given a choice of which to match; they just gave him the toys. What if he'd wanted the Take to prevent his opponent from taking something from him later on? It may not have been possible given the state of the board at the time, or maybe it was a rule that he had to match the prize if his opponent had nothing to take, but neither was really spelled out for the audience. Jack's explanation was something like "There's nothing to take, so you'll want to match the toys."

We also saw the other contestant pass when she knew there wasn't a match for the prize she'd just uncovered.

She ended up winning both games and over $3,000 in prizes, but I felt bad for her during the Double Play rounds. Both times she bombed on the first puzzle. The first time, she wore her glasses; the second time, she didn't. It seems like the distance from the podium to the board was such that she just couldn't see well no matter what. Then again, although she managed to win both games, she also made a close-but-incorrect solve of one or both puzzles (I can't recall for sure) before getting it right, so maybe the rebuses just weren't her strong suit.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Re: 4/7 Concentration--passing a turn
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 11:43:55 PM »
In the 2nd endgame she got "Yellowstone" instantly, but misread the "National Park" part. It might be armchair GS'ing, but I put that on the contestant getting too caught up in trying to read the glyphs instead of taking what she had and trying to guess the solution.

Also, for those who care, this episode had a Call 3 and an interrupted Game 2 so I'm really of the mindset that at this point, they wanted to experiment with things and/or possibly quicken the pace, sort of like how Family Feud would perpetually tinker with its format.
This signature is currently under construction.