Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Original Price is Right question  (Read 1248 times)

Ian Wallis

Original Price is Right question
« on: April 07, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »
By early 1964, the original Price is Right was seen on ABC at 11 AM (Eastern).  According to old TVGuide listings, starting Tuesday, March 24, 1964 they started having celebrity guests who would stay on the show for five days.  The first was Joan Fontaine.

On Monday, March 30, 1964 it changed time slots to 10:30 to make way for the new show Get The Message, which aired at 11.  Joan was still the celebrity guest on the 3/30 show, with Marty Allen starting his stint on Tuesday, March 31st.

Every Tuesday from that point on they changed the celebrity guest, who would stay on for five shows.  This continued until Sept 14, 1964, when new celebrities started on Price is Right each Monday instead.

My question: does anybody know why they did the Tuesday switch for so long?   This sort of thing was quite common in the '70s (especially on CBS, which was started mainly because of Watergate). All other ABC celebrity game shows (and all on other networks) had new panels starting on Mondays.

The TVGuides I have from that era come from many different areas, including some major markets like New York; so it's not that the station I was looking at was tape-delaying.  It was on the whole ABC network that way.

Just curious if anyone has any info, as this was an oddity for the '60s.

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!