Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Split Second 4/4 -- correct answer rejected  (Read 4272 times)

gromit82

Split Second 4/4 -- correct answer rejected
« on: April 04, 2020, 11:32:37 AM »
I was just watching an episode of "Split Second." One of the questions asked which Biblical character "wrestled with a messenger from God." The contestant (Randy) answered "Jacob," but was told that was wrong and the answer was "Job." Monty Hall didn't correct the answer at any time during the episode.

Fortunately, the contestant wound up leading going into the final round and won the episode anyway, so it didn't matter.

I've seen lots of examples on other shows where the contestant gives an unexpected answer that turns out to also be correct (in addition to the answer expected by the judges) and is eventually given credit for it. But it seems pretty unusual for a contestant to give a correct answer and be told it was wrong, and then have a completely wrong answer announced as being the right answer.

Eric Paddon

Re: Split Second 4/4 -- correct answer rejected
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
The "Sylvester" episode of "Press Your Luck" is an example where they found out they'd been wrong with their "correct" answer and decided to do their amusing post-production correction.

Allstar87

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 02:43:42 PM »
I admit one could make a case either way for this situation, but there was one contestant who was judged wrong for saying "Amadeus" wrote the Magic Flute. It was clear he knew the right answer, they even acknowledged Amadeus was indeed Mozart's middle name, but they still ruled against him. Wouldn't be too bad, except just before that, another contestant said the Magic Kingdom was Disneyland and was ruled correct. The Magic Kingdom is a part of Walt Disney World, on the other side of the country.

The same episode also claimed George Washington moved to DC in 1801...he had actually died two years prior...so that one was a mess all around. Seems like Split Second's fact checkers were often asleep at the wheel.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 04:32:21 PM »
Seems like Split Second's fact checkers were often asleep at the wheel.

Tell me about it. Here's ep. 21 for example; I know as well as anyone else in my home state that Tommy Thompson is not from Illinois. (go to 10:56) They must've confused him for James R. Thompson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFvbHBxlBo

Also, they messed up which country car manufacturer Lada was based in (*and* the contestant got screwed on it!):

(cue to 11:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXa6zvO9Uho
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:46:50 PM by Chief-O »

Casey

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:31:21 PM »
I recently saw an episode where one of the questions was about Christmas songs - I think it was of the “complete the lyrics” types.  The contestant giving the 3rd answer was called wrong for giving an apparent alternate, but arguably the much more familiar set of lyrics, only to have the other 2 contestants tell Monty that the 3rd player was correct.  He then ruled she was correct based on that.

gamed121683

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:39:13 PM »
In other words...Fun show, but I’ve seen better officiating at a Globetrotters game.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »
My all-time favorite was some cheap 80s syndicated game I've long since forgotten.  The host asked "What is the capital of Spain?"  The contestant confidently said "Madrid" and was told she was wrong.  (The show had "Barcelona".)  They did come back from a commercial break and give her credit for it, so it's not really the same as your example, but it always stuck with me what a fundamental fact that was for their writing staff to be so wrong about in the first place.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rjaguar3

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 09:06:09 PM »
My all-time favorite was some cheap 80s syndicated game I've long since forgotten.  The host asked "What is the capital of Spain?"  The contestant confidently said "Madrid" and was told she was wrong.  (The show had "Barcelona".)  They did come back from a commercial break and give her credit for it, so it's not really the same as your example, but it always stuck with me what a fundamental fact that was for their writing staff to be so wrong about in the first place.

More context from 2008.

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 10:59:10 AM »
Another goof from Monty's "Split Second." The show that aired on 4/20, they had an address as 704 Houser Street, Brooklyn. The contestant answer Archie Bunker, which was declared right. But if I remember correctly, Archie and Edith lived in Queens. This was during the Countdown Round.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 01:25:14 PM »
704 Houser Street is correct, but yes, the address was probably supposed to be Astoria, Queens.