Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Future of TPIR: Post COVID-19  (Read 17911 times)

Unrealtor

Re: The Future of TPIR: Post COVID-19
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2020, 01:52:38 AM »
Even going through the list on golden-road.net to help refresh my memory, there aren't that many games where I would even consider hauling a large, game-specific prop cross-country for a temporary engagement, assuming that I had enough budget for virtual or cardboard versions of the rest. Plinko, obviously, because there's too much happening with physics to make a simulation worthwhile. The prop in Cliff Hangers is 100% chrome and yet there's just something about having the physical representation of the climber fall off at the end of the track. Similarly, Punch a Bunch loses something when you reduce it to "pick a space and we'll tell you what's there." Maybe the track from Rat Race, but I kind of feel like you could get away with using animation to simulate the "race" to the rats finishing in a randomly-selected order.

The putting green in Hole In One is also a physical component that's essential to the game, but I would be surprised if it cost more than a few hundred bucks to build a completely new one.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Otm Shank

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2020, 02:57:16 AM »
As much as I like Roger, the comments about relocating the production are just plain ridiculous.

A temporary relocation even if it is across the valley for a production like Price is Right isn't feasible; across the country is nonsensical. Plus, if they can't tape in L.A., they realistically shouldn't be taping anywhere, no matter whether there is an open jurisdiction.

I'm sure the internal projection is going to be for a long-term shutdown, at least for planning purposes, and a possible resumption of taping for September 2021. (Plan for the worst, and scale back from there.) There are enough episodes in the can to have a whole year of reruns, even though the network might not like it. If the network pushed to return to production too soon, the unions wouldn't allow it. If somehow they got past the unions, I don't see how their insurers would allow it, either. Even if they paid a higher insurance premium, would the landlord of TVC allow their facility to be used, knowing they have a liability of letting the general public into their building, no matter how many disclaimers or signs they have plastered all over the place?

All productions have to be ready for the unthinkable and unspoken possibility of a long layoff.

Fedya

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »
have the onstage contestant in a box like the Expert on the Hill and then that gives Drew or Wayne the freedom to move about the stage as they need.

This means Plinko no longer works, which is a big plus.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »
Well, perhaps a glimpse into the future, but Cash Explosion returned this past week with the hosts in studio and monitors set up on stage while their contestants played from home with home setups. I've posted it into the video section.

This wouldn't work with every pricing game of course, but there's still plenty to have fun with.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2020, 10:46:04 PM »
I think the one thing that we have in favor of being able to do stuff on screens is that we are now sixty years removed from the scandals.
Travis L. Eberle