Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Future of TPIR: Post COVID-19  (Read 17739 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Re: The Future of TPIR: Post COVID-19
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 04:53:09 PM »
I was thinking to myself a couple of weeks ago - if they can't start the season's production on time, why not run "classics" for a spell, or throw in a week of vintage shows here and there?
Absolutely. They’ve got so many different ways they can curate these episodes that it’s a relatively easy lift. Take the easy route and run one from each season, and that’s good for nine weeks.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 05:58:55 PM »
Which actually isn't unprecedented. When CBS aired the Pillsbury Bake-Off's in the late-90s, they aired the contest at 11, then a classic half-hour TPiR at 11:30. It's not like they don't have a vast library of episodes.

But the way they had to chop out many of the pregnant pauses in gameplay during the "classic" episode to meet the current time restraints, it looked like Bob was on a double latte with a Jolt Cola chaser.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 06:50:48 PM »
The average, common viewer does not notice the minutia that we, the above-average, uncommon, abnormal game show fan observes.
I grab the last ten minutes of Wheel of Fortune as a lead-in to Jeopardy every night. Had the program guide not said so nor the bonus envelope had $36,000 in it I would not have known they were in reruns right now. 
I believe he was referring specifically to The Price is Right because, game show fan or not, Wheel of Fortune has painted themselves in a corner where every season is different and regular viewers will notice. The bonus envelope is always an obvious difference now, especially when Pat will sometimes mention why the minimum is that amount. Also, this season having the triple toss up will probably cause some folks to also take note at its disappearance and the 1/2 Car's reappearance.

To that effect, WOF has put the OAD in the bottom corner of the screen at the top of every repeat episode. Something they already did this season when they had to put in a rerun week in Pat's absence.

I also really like the idea of putting "Best Of" branding on old episodes of Price and pulling from the vault of both Bob and Drew episodes. I'm sure no one would care and rerunning Bob episodes would probably be worthy of news mention or a Twitter trend.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »
I believe he was referring specifically to The Price is Right because, game show fan or not, Wheel of Fortune has painted themselves in a corner where every season is different and regular viewers will notice. The bonus envelope is always an obvious difference now, especially when Pat will sometimes mention why the minimum is that amount. Also, this season having the triple toss up will probably cause some folks to also take note at its disappearance and the 1/2 Car's reappearance.
I dunno...it's been at least a year since I've watched Wheel, and I prolly wouldn't even notice some of those change. The average nightly viewer may know the show's been on forever, but I doubt they'd put 2+2 together and ask why the bonus round minimum is suddenly, say, $34,000, as opposed to $37K. Honestly, there's times where I have to do the math on my fingers about what season it is.

/Aside from the car offered, I'd swear all of Feud's episodes were shot in 2013
//That and the different intro from when they shot at Universal for Steve's first year
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 05:04:48 AM »
Back in the day, NBC fielded reruns of Classic Concentration for, what, two and a half years without viewers giving a bother? 

Price will be fine. If they have to restart sans audience there are workarounds although people on the internet will complain (they'll do that anyway).

And if it isn't fine?, 48 years is a *damned* good run.

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »
But the way they had to chop out many of the pregnant pauses in gameplay during the "classic" episode to meet the current time restraints, it looked like Bob was on a double latte with a Jolt Cola chaser.
This is an interesting point. A quick look on Youtube shows an hour-long commercial-free episode from 1999 clocking in at exactly 40 minutes; a decade earlier has 42-43, and about 44 in 1979. I think it could still be done, but a lot of banter might have to go, and if it means saving 30 seconds, I imagine they'd use the generic CBS closing credits with promos for their shows, given how long a 70s credit roll could run.

Maybe run the Barker classics on Fridays, and air Drew's older seasons M-Th. By my math, there's about 2,000 or so episodes from his run alone.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Stackertosh

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 05:23:22 PM »
Life is going to have to return to normal at some point. People are already itching to go back to Work,Bars,Clubs etc.

Tv shows will eventually return back to normal.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »
Life is going to have to return to normal at some point. People are already itching to go back to Work,Bars,Clubs etc.

Tv shows will eventually return back to normal.

Well, we're all gonna have to suck it up and wait.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Neumms

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »
They won't, but it would be fun if they'd try Bill Cullen's version with four players bidding on stuff the whole show.. The desk would have to be longer to accomodate six feet apart.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2020, 10:31:33 PM »
They won't, but it would be fun if they'd try Bill Cullen's version with four players bidding on stuff the whole show.. The desk would have to be longer to accomodate six feet apart.

They actually do have a longer Contestants' Row for family episodes.  I'm kind of curious now how long it is.

JMFabiano

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »
And another Dob-bie Downer (if you choose to look at it that way) post...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157363716592055&set=a.10151371586032055&type=3&theater
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 01:48:33 PM »
I read that. I was wondering if Roger hired Darryl Heine as his copywriter.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 04:29:57 PM »
And another Dob-bie Downer (if you choose to look at it that way) post...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157363716592055&set=a.10151371586032055&type=3&theater

Bonus points for Dobbie Downer. Using that from here on out.

The funny thing is that even thought he calls Scenario #3 the worst one, the way he describes it makes it sound like that's what he REALLY wants to happen.

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

aaron sica

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
The funny thing is that even thought he calls Scenario #3 the worst one, the way he describes it makes it sound like that's what he REALLY wants to happen.
That was very much the impression that I got as well.

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »
That was very much the impression that I got as well.
When I saw him refer to Drew as the overpaid host, I immediately got the vibe that he was trying to project.