Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Future of TPIR: Post COVID-19  (Read 17865 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

Re: The Future of TPIR: Post COVID-19
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2020, 01:30:22 AM »
I seem to remember Steve Harvey's first year of Feud originated from Universal Orlando (and taped in Atlanta for several years), as well as several years from Atlanta.  Millionaire's later seasons came from Vegas, and Millionaire (one season) and several other daytime series moved to Connecticut at one point

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2020, 02:24:04 AM »
Wasn't Millionaire there for two years? I believe that Chris Harrison cut his Millionaire teeth in Stamford.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2020, 02:40:29 AM »
Wasn't Millionaire there for two years? I believe that Chris Harrison cut his Millionaire teeth in Stamford.

Went looking:
The entirety of Regis' and Meredith's run originated from ABC's studios in Manhattan.  When Cedric the Entertainer took over in 2013, the show moved to East Harlem.  The show switched to Terry Crews when it moved to Stamford the next year. Terry's sole season and Chris' first season originated from there, at which point the show moved to Vegas it's last three years.  Kimmel's run originates from LA.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2020, 03:23:31 AM »
His shot at Drew notwithstanding, moving to Orlando wouldn't be a bad idea if it does come with cheaper costs like he said. Certainly wouldn't be the first daytime show to relocate to save money.

Either way, though, they're still gonna be paying someone to host the show and said person's gonna wanna be paid...plus it would be awfully shortsighted to assume that the host of the show won't follow the production he's put over a decade of his life into just because it's moving.

Like I said earlier in this thread: the logic is so baffling. Almost as bad as Darryl Heine's.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2020, 10:04:55 AM »
the logic is so baffling

It is. Rich Fields made an announcement on his own FB page a week or so ago about how he has a big announcement on June 1. The classic price fanbois have instantly taken that to mean that he will be announcing Price again. I mean, I *could* see it, considering George Gray is recovering....But something tells me that's not it.

TimK2003

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2020, 02:49:36 PM »
It's easier for shows like Feud, and especially Millionaire to bounce from coast to coast since there is pretty much one basic set for each with no set variance (additional props and games) from episode to episode. 

For something like TPIR and LMAD, you have more pieces/parts to the sets (3 doors, individual games, and boatloads of prizes of various sizes).  To this point it may be getting in the "cost-prohibitive" level if either or both of these shows would "move" to the East Coast and either bringing the entire sets and all the individual games/props associated with each show or replicating the sets/props/etc... from scratch.

Although, there IS a traveling TPIR Live set or two with limited games that travels around North America, and LMAD has a much simpler inventory of games and props that they would have to move or replicate.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2020, 04:27:47 PM »
The Price is Right did travel once and it sounded like it was a nightmare the one time they did.

If the show did move to another state it would probably be worth it if the move was for something longer than a year. Otherwise, I definitely wouldn't consider it worth the cost. Though transporting the prizes wouldn't be a problem. They wouldn't take the prizes with them, they'd just start getting them from dealerships and suppliers in the area where they'd move to.

I think while shows like Millionaire and Feud moved easily and even LMAD has had other locations, that Price is linked to California. Hollywood has been mentioned in the opening spiel for over 20 years now. Orlando doesn't have that same ring to it. Maybe if the show had moved to NYC to placate Tom Bergeron (as he claimed, though I think he mentioned Connecticut) they could've used the Big Apple as a name.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:48 PM »
His shot at Drew notwithstanding, moving to Orlando wouldn't be a bad idea if it does come with cheaper costs like he said. Certainly wouldn't be the first daytime show to relocate to save money.

Either way, though, they're still gonna be paying someone to host the show and said person's gonna wanna be paid...plus it would be awfully shortsighted to assume that the host of the show won't follow the production he's put over a decade of his life into just because it's moving.

Hence my "His shot at Drew notwithstanding." There are good reasons to move to Orlando. And yes, the idea that Drew wouldn't come along is ridiculous.

whewfan

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2020, 05:58:07 AM »
Even if they could tape TPIR in a nearer future, what about social distancing and such? What difference would it make where they tape if they still have to seat everyone 6 feet apart? Also, a lot is lost when we have contestants wearing masks and can't really see their reactions.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2020, 07:09:17 AM »
Price doesn't need an audience, necessarily. Contestants introduced from off-stage instead of an audience call-up. Heck, if you REALLY need to drop the headcount, eliminate contestant's row, and give each contestant some added talk time before the game.

You'll get a lot of hemming and hawing about it not being the way it *should* be done, but it totally COULD be done that way.

And if Drew doesn't want to continue the show but the show's going to change substantially enough (format, taping location, etc) that it wouldn't be what he agreed to host and could potentially cause contract issues? Let him out and hire someone else. Bye

Ideal? Hell no. But they totally could.

Also, a lot is lost when we have contestants wearing masks and can't really see their reactions.
What? Like 95% of excitement and reactions are whole-face combined with body language (and, you know, words/yelling).  A mask covers the nose and mouth but isn't going to inhibit *being able to tell the contestants are excited*. It's not like playing Peekabo with a toddler.

JMFabiano

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »
Price doesn't need an audience, necessarily. Contestants introduced from off-stage instead of an audience call-up. Heck, if you REALLY need to drop the headcount, eliminate contestant's row, and give each contestant some added talk time before the game.

You'll get a lot of hemming and hawing about it not being the way it *should* be done, but it totally COULD be done that way.

Yeah, kind of like the Davidson format.  The wheel can still be done without people right next to each other as could the Showcases with some extra spacing. 

Just acknowledge that given the circumstances, they have to do this episode a bit differently.  Not like they have anything to hide.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
And if Drew doesn't want to continue the show but the show's going to change substantially enough (format, taping location, etc) that it wouldn't be what he agreed to host and could potentially cause contract issues? Let him out and hire someone else. Bye

Ideal? Hell no. But they totally could.
Facts. I have nothing against Drew, but he’s also not irreplaceable. It’s not like there hasn’t been a traveling stage show for the last decade with a rotating lineup of hosts. There’s also a former announcer in Florida who could probably take the reins if push came to shove.

Universal is a pretty appealing option, and I like the idea of the show going the Davidson route with no Contestants Row. The purists would do their typical whining, but I gather the average daytime viewer wouldn’t care one way or another, so long as they get to see games like Plinko or Cliffhangers.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »

Facts. I have nothing against Drew, but he’s also not irreplaceable. It’s not like there hasn’t been a traveling stage show for the last decade with a rotating lineup of hosts. There’s also a former announcer in Florida who could probably take the reins if push came to shove.

Universal is a pretty appealing option, and I like the idea of the show going the Davidson route with no Contestants Row. The purists would do their typical whining, but I gather the average daytime viewer wouldn’t care one way or another, so long as they get to see games like Plinko or Cliffhangers.

I agree that there wouldn't be nearly as much lamenting over Drew leaving, even after 13(!) years. Les Moonves was his champion to begin with and he's long gone. That being said, I don't think they're gonna seriously contemplate their options until September rolls around if this continues. They've been able to air episodes as soon as the day after they were taped, so no reason to panic anytime soon. 

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2020, 10:44:19 PM »
Although, there IS a traveling TPIR Live set or two with limited games that travels around North America, and LMAD has a much simpler inventory of games and props that they would have to move or replicate.
LMAD is getting up there in terms of props and games, especially if you throw in the Zonks. Conversely, there are a decent number of pricing games that could probably either fit in a truck or be rebuilt with a monitor.

That being said, this was probably Roger reading a news item or social media post about the BS in Florida surrounding what's considered essential and thought "huh, wouldn't that be something?"
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2020, 12:44:27 AM »
For all the talk about moving of props and the set and finding new prizes I did not see anyone mention that this would require an entire staff of people to move or lose a gig.

I am by no means a regular watcher of TPIR or LMAD anymore but I realize that each show is made up of a bunch of people who made it what they are. What nobody has brought up I don't think the idea of taking a page from Jackpot--have the onstage contestant in a box like the Expert on the Hill and then that gives Drew or Wayne the freedom to move about the stage as they need.
Travis L. Eberle