Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vintage game show books on archive.org  (Read 14420 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Vintage game show books on archive.org
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 01:23:10 AM »
My surprised face— :|
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 05:31:09 PM »
Bumping this to add another book I found on here the other day: Millionaire Moments by Chris Tarrant.

Here's something he mentioned about the case of money in front of the Hot Seat which I never knew:

In those days we had a glass case right at the front of the set, containing £1,000,000, to remind everybody, by its sheer bulk, of just how large an amount of money this was. I was always worried about the moment of opening the case to hand over the money because, although we’d practised it numerous times in rehearsals, it always seemed to me that there was every chance the money would go flying all over the place. Imagine the shambles; there could even have been a stampede among the audience, stuffing tenners down the front of their trousers and doing a runner. If I was in the audience I’m sure that’s what I’d have done. In fact after the second series we dropped this idea altogether and settled for just writing out a cheque for £1,000,000 to anyone clever enough to give me fifteen correct answers.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Kniwt

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2021, 06:13:10 AM »
It's not archive.org, but from worldradiohistory.com comes the 1997 Encyclopedia of Daytime Television. Not exclusively game shows, but everything I tried looking for is in there.

Noticed a couple factual errors, not unusual for a pre-internet work of this nature. The biggest one seems to be assuming that Sajak's "Press Your Luck" pilot was related to real PYL.

https://worldradiohistory.com/BOOKSHELF-ARH/History/Encyclopedia-of-Daytime-Television-Hyatt-1997.pdf

Casey Buck

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2021, 03:05:03 AM »
Pardon the bump, but TV Game Shows by Maxine Fabe (1979) just got added last week!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2021, 06:56:48 AM »
Pardon the bump, but TV Game Shows by Maxine Fabe (1979) just got added last week!

Nice! I've wanted to read this for years.

Anyone know what game Fabe referred to when she said "Extra Digit?" It's probably something really obvious, but it's not coming to me.

"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Mike Tennant

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2021, 08:26:19 AM »
Anyone know what game Fabe referred to when she said "Extra Digit?" It's probably something really obvious, but it's not coming to me.
The first thing that came to my mind was Squeeze Play, but I see it's also on the list.

Kniwt

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2021, 08:32:26 AM »

Harumph, there goes the resale value of the copy I bought for 99 cents at Waldenbooks (!) In 1981. :)

BillCullen1

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2021, 08:39:08 AM »
The first thing that came to my mind was Squeeze Play, but I see it's also on the list.

My guess would have been Double Digits, but that game was long gone by then. Maybe Professor Price but I highly doubt it.

tvmitch

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2021, 11:38:26 AM »
On page 38, she mentions that Battlestars contestants received $800 worth of parting gifts. Having wondered the actual amount of these gifts, was that the norm for most shows of that era? Most credit rolls I remember seeing offered the Lee Press-On nails, Ragu spaghetti sauce and pizza mix, and the Hawaiian Tropic towel.
It probably depends on the show. Just as an example, I remember Whew! parting gifts to be some pretty hefty stuff. Plus, there's the possibility of returning champs accumulating parting gifts; do I need (an excuse) to break out the Bob Harris video again?
Many of the Whew! parting gifts we've seen so far would have been top-level Head Start prizes on Narz Concentration.
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
On page 38, she mentions that Battlestars contestants received $800 worth of parting gifts. Having wondered the actual amount of these gifts, was that the norm for most shows of that era? Most credit rolls I remember seeing offered the Lee Press-On nails, Ragu spaghetti sauce and pizza mix, and the Hawaiian Tropic towel.
It probably depends on the show. Just as an example, I remember Whew! parting gifts to be some pretty hefty stuff. Plus, there's the possibility of returning champs accumulating parting gifts; do I need (an excuse) to break out the Bob Harris video again?
Many of the Whew! parting gifts we've seen so far would have been top-level Head Start prizes on Narz Concentration.
I’ve noticed that too watching Buzzr. Very nice consolation prizes for your time.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2021, 07:16:45 PM »
The only games of note potentially missing from the list would be Shower Game and Telephone Game based on dates, but neither of them involve a extra digit.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2021, 07:39:18 PM »
TOTAL GUESS, just to be clear: The TPIR staff used to submit a memo to CBS every time they were about to unveil a new pricing game, I've seen some of these memos. They'd be submitted to the network before they had fully locked down the name. ("Now...and Then" was originally called "Inflation".)

Since you couldn't just go to Price is Right Fan Wiki in the 1970s, she had to obtain a list from somewhere, and she may have asked a show for such a list, and the show just went through their stack of files and thoughtlessly punched out a list of names for her from the old memos. "Extra Digit" might just be Squeeze Play's original name before they noticed how the mechanism looked.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2021, 10:12:01 PM »
TOTAL GUESS, just to be clear: The TPIR staff used to submit a memo to CBS every time they were about to unveil a new pricing game, I've seen some of these memos. They'd be submitted to the network before they had fully locked down the name. ("Now...and Then" was originally called "Inflation".)

Since you couldn't just go to Price is Right Fan Wiki in the 1970s, she had to obtain a list from somewhere, and she may have asked a show for such a list, and the show just went through their stack of files and thoughtlessly punched out a list of names for her from the old memos. "Extra Digit" might just be Squeeze Play's original name before they noticed how the mechanism looked.

That sounds plausible. I've seen one of those memos, which listed "Pick-A-Pair" as an alternate name for Take Two.

Fedya

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2021, 09:12:55 AM »
It's Optional wasn't played for cars at the time?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

calliaume

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2021, 12:50:04 PM »
We can also consider the possibility she was just plain wrong.