Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Pointless" coming to BritBox April 7  (Read 3050 times)

narzo

"Pointless" coming to BritBox April 7
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:15:12 PM »
It's not mentioned on the website yet, but I just got an email from "Britbox" indicating "Pointless" is joining the lineup April 7th.  They've had a nice lineup of panel shows for quite a while, but this is the first pure game show (unless you count "Celebrity Mastermind" and "8 out of 10 cats does countdown") to join their service. 

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: "Pointless" coming to BritBox April 7
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 05:15:45 PM »
Needs to come to America.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

trainman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 10:06:47 PM »

I tried out for a version a couple years ago that was supposedly being produced for GSN. I don't know why it didn't go any further.
trainman is a man of trains

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 10:52:30 PM »
I tried out for a version a couple years ago that was supposedly being produced for GSN. I don't know why it didn't go any further.

I guess they decided it was pointless.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 02:53:41 AM »

Either this or Tenable would be great for GSN.

tvmitch

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »

Tenable would be great. I enjoy the show a lot and it is a challenge. They hardly ever give away a ton of money. Very budget friendly.
You should follow me on Twitter

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 07:45:25 PM »

Tenable would be great. I enjoy the show a lot and it is a challenge. They hardly ever give away a ton of money. Very budget friendly.

Definitely budget friendly. They could up the top two levels to £25k and £50k in order to offer a top prize of £250,000, and it probably wouldn't increase the budget more than 5% or so.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 09:40:08 PM »

I thought I heard (probably from Buzzerblog) that everything was going forward and then there was a regime change at GSN and the new person-in-charge of whatever nixed almost everything that was being worked on (including current originals).
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Brig Bother

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »

Definitely budget friendly. They could up the top two levels to £25k and £50k in order to offer a top prize of £250,000, and it probably wouldn't increase the budget more than 5% or so.

They've never really bigged up their maximum prize which I suspect is a deliberate design decision.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »

They've never really bigged up their maximum prize which I suspect is a deliberate design decision.

Certainly. For daytime games in England, £125,000 is already big money. With DoND out of the picture, you're up against shows that offer £1-10,000, and two shows that offer only bragging rights. (I wonder what the resale value of that teapot is.)

GSBOY92

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 06:49:48 PM »
I think Pointless would be a bore in America. I rather have The Chase revived.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 07:23:17 PM »
I think Pointless would be a bore in America.
Not the way I played it.
Travis L. Eberle