Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lois Bromfield on MGHSH  (Read 3497 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Lois Bromfield on MGHSH
« on: March 20, 2020, 10:09:40 PM »
Looked her up on Wiki and her earliest credit is from 1985...so how is she *here*?

Did they try to book Valri and she called in sick?
@lambertman

JakeT

Re: Lois Bromfield on MGHSH
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »
Looked her up on Wiki and her earliest credit is from 1985...so how is she *here*?

Did they try to book Valri and she called in sick?

She was doing stand-up for years before she became a "name"...since there is an abundane of relatively-unknown standups on MGHS, I am sure her agent offered her to the talent coordinator while booking someone else...

BTW, easily one of the most hilarious comedy shorts in history with a HUGE cult following...

Enjoy "SORORITY GIRLS FROM HELL!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2rXsLLdr0

JakeT

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 05:11:13 AM »
They did have some off the wall booking back then. But then again when you have to fill eight spots on a nine person panel, you are gonna inevitably run into issues finding talent.

Which to me is why Leonard Frey feels like a 1984 version of Coolio, if you get my drift...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 09:12:19 AM »
Looking back, we can see a few definite categories when it came to booking celebrities on MG/HS:

Hot Chick: Usually one per week. A mixture of series stars (Rebecca Holden, Lydia Cornell, Audrey and Judy Landers), relative unknowns (Twyla Littleton, Christie Claridge), and Playboy playmates (Vicki McCarty, Karen Witter, Shannon Tweed).  Also Martha Smith, who fit two of those categories.

The Comic: Some of them had done CBS/syndie MG. Phil Proctor, Fred Travelena, Arsenio Hall, Marty Cohen.

NBC Insisted: Their series stars, who appeared in far greater numbers than on the '70s versions of either show. Leonard Frye, Bonnie Urseth, Tom Villard, Nedra Volz, Kim Miyori, various soap stars.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 10:51:11 AM »
Looking back, we can see a few definite categories when it came to booking celebrities on MG/HS:

Hot Chick: Usually one per week. A mixture of series stars (Rebecca Holden, Lydia Cornell, Audrey and Judy Landers), relative unknowns (Twyla Littleton, Christie Claridge), and Playboy playmates (Vicki McCarty, Karen Witter, Shannon Tweed).  Also Martha Smith, who fit two of those categories.
Some friends and I have called a number of the above people the MGHSH Token Bimbo of the Week.  We love ya, Twyla Littleton, Teri Copley, and both Landers sisters.  We really do.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 11:16:06 AM »
Given how disastrous the 1983-84 season was for NBC, I wonder whether the over-dependence on NBC stars was more desperation than anything? Kinda like......”Pleeeease like our shows!”
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 01:00:45 PM »
Markie Post, who was on an ABC show at the time ("The Fall Guy") certainly got her booking because she was on a current show of some kind *and* had a past G-T connection behind the scenes.   I'm pretty sure that her MG/HSQ booking was the first time she was ever a celeb game show player and of course she would go on to be quite prolific not just on Goodson shows but on Pyramid as well.

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 01:46:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure that her MG/HSQ booking was the first time she was ever a celeb game show player and of course she would go on to be quite prolific not just on Goodson shows but on Pyramid as well.
She'd actually done two weeks of Pyramid before MG/HS, per the episode guide for that show.

There weren't a lot of celeb game show options at that point--Pyramid, Just Men! (which obviously wasn't able to book Post), and the short-lived Battlestars revival were the only three that had celebrities on a regular basis between the time Post started on The Fall Guy and her MG/HS appearance.

colonial

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 05:12:18 PM »

The Comic: Some of them had done CBS/syndie MG. Phil Proctor, Fred Travelena, Arsenio Hall, Marty Cohen.

NBC Insisted: Their series stars, who appeared in far greater numbers than on the '70s versions of either show. Leonard Frye, Bonnie Urseth, Tom Villard, Nedra Volz, Kim Miyori, various soap stars.

You can also argue …

"Grizzled MG/HS vets" -- the first couple of weeks have seen CNR, Marcia Wallace, Bill Daily, Dick Martin, Nipsey Russell, Gary Burghoff, McLean Stevenson and George Gobel all drop by. While there are some curious omissions (Betty White), the lineups at least show that, for most weeks, there be a need for an old hand with MG and/or HS experience to be on the panel.

gamed121683

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 03:20:28 PM »
Given how disastrous the 1983-84 season was for NBC, I wonder whether the over-dependence on NBC stars was more desperation than anything? Kinda like......”Pleeeease like our shows!”

Well, their fall season slogan the year before was "Just Watch Us Now".