Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The crux of Concentration.  (Read 5206 times)

JakeT

Re: The crux of Concentration.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 09:12:31 PM »
I have my own ideas for a Concentration revival that involve....charades.

I much prefer "Concentration" when it is a game of definitions... ;D

JakeT

JakeT

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 09:36:42 PM »
"Triple Play" mystery solved...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XQVRa04FJU

JakeT

alfonzos

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 05:05:45 PM »
I would prefer either a twenty five frame board or three wild cards but not both. Three wild cards means over one-third of the board is revealed by lucky guesses. Granted, the best prizes but reveal the least helpful parts of the rebus but I object to the concept of revealing so much the puzzle in such a manner.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

calliaume

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 08:04:01 PM »
I would prefer either a twenty five frame board or three wild cards but not both.
With 25 squares, you've either got to have three wild cards or one (or one item that doesn't match anything).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 08:15:40 PM »
You could start the game by revealing a single space that doesn't help solving the puzzle or have a Free Look on the board.
Travis L. Eberle

Otm Shank

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 03:27:39 AM »
My preference on the Takes is that they allow the winning contestant to pull from their opponent's board after solving the puzzle. It was a little too acrimonious for what is supposed to be a fun back-and-forth game. It was compounded when a player lost their prize and solved, and then Jack or Alex was left lamenting on what they didn't win. It also didn't make sense (although when time is short, what can you do?) that a player was penalized for unused Take cards just because time ran short in the round.

I get it, though. The takes went both ways for the production company, rather than increasing the frequency of wins of the major prize on the board.

byrd62

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 02:28:48 PM »
You could start the game by revealing a single space that doesn't help solving the puzzle or have a Free Look on the board.

A few times on Classic Concentration with Alex Trebek, some rounds led off with 2 puzzle parts being revealed.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »
When you watch the end game of Classic Concentration, do you find yourself playing along or just watching passively?

It doesn't seem that there's much opportunity to play along as the viewer can't call for squares to be revealed, and there's the time element.

And you can't win a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous car.

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 12:09:49 AM »
Watching on Buzzr, I find myself yelling where the match was ("No, dummy...the Tercel is #8! Number 7 is the Spectrum!") instead of actually playing along.

But yeah, point taken about Double Play having more play-along value. It just feels so anticlimactic to do two puzzles for the bedroom set instead of the Vega.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 12:25:27 AM »
I do both. I call the matches and curse contestants that can’t finish the job after seeing each square once.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »
When you watch the end game of Classic Concentration, do you find yourself playing along or just watching passively?

It doesn't seem that there's much opportunity to play along as the viewer can't call for squares to be revealed, and there's the time element.

And you can't win a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous car.

That being said, you can't win any of the other bonus round prizes on any other game show, but the tension and high stakes keep us all watching anyway. A good bonus round will keep you engaged no matter the prize. I hosted Pyramid at NAQT nationals last year and had a suite full of other staffers glued to the game when the Winner's Circle was about to be played.

I like both, but it is a little deflating to get to the Double Play board and watch the winner play for a smaller prize through no fault of their own. Conversely, it's really exciting when they're able to play for multiple prizes.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.