Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show within a TV show/movie sighting (thread?)  (Read 4835 times)

trainman

Re: Game show within a TV show/movie sighting (thread?)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 12:05:15 AM »
Episode 4 of the Amazon series "Tales from the Loop" has a scene in which a character is watching "Child's Play" (on a woodgrain console TV with slightly fuzzy reception, no less).
trainman is a man of trains

byrd62

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 09:03:34 AM »
And then, there was the 1959 movie It Happened to Jane, starring Doris Day, Jack Lemmon, a bald-headed Ernie Kovacs, and a scene with a famous game show panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0AUpt5alcg

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 11:19:23 AM »
And then, there was the 1959 movie It Happened to Jane, starring Doris Day, Jack Lemmon, a bald-headed Ernie Kovacs, and a scene with a famous game show panel.

I think it's worth mentioning that, compared to most of the references on this thread, the I've Got A Secret scene isn't one that the characters just happened to be watching on a television in the background.  It's integral to the storyline, and it was shot specifically for the movie.

A fun punch line to this is that Doris Day was supposed to appear on the REAL I've Got A Secret in order to promote this film.  They even created a game involving toy trains, since trains were part of the plot for the movie.  When Doris couldn't make it, the show's solution was ingenious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtnBPiYNmAg
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

colonial

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »
I remember going to a movie as a kid in the early-mid 80s that had the '83 Jeopardy! pilot in a scene.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what the movie was. I've run across it a couple of times as an adult, but even then it was a forgettable movie other than having the '83 Jeopardy! pilot in it.  The Googles have been no help so far.

You might be thinking of the NBC made-for-TV movie Special Bulletin (the one in which Charleston, S.C., -- um, that would be spoilers). It's right in the first minute, at 0:42 in this very high-quality copy that I didn't know existed until I just searched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqQBk8s0joA

Also, if you look very carefully at the game board, one of the categories is "Air Shuttle Disasters," which suggests someone grabbed a prop from "Airplane II: The Sequel" (which featured a J! spoof with Art Fleming) and inserted it in "Special Bulletin."

Another obscure game show find in a movie -- there was a 2001 film called "Just Visiting" (a remake of a far better French film) about a 12th century French nobleman and his servant being mistakenly launched into modern-day Chicago. Early in the film, the two heroes stumble around a present-day apartment, where they discover a TV set, turn it on, then attack it, thinking it's some kind of monster. The TV was showing, IIRC, the opening of a Dawson Feud.

JD

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »
Also, if you look very carefully at the game board, one of the categories is "Air Shuttle Disasters," which suggests someone grabbed a prop from "Airplane II: The Sequel" (which featured a J! spoof with Art Fleming) and inserted it in "Special Bulletin."
Good eye.  Turns out that's *precisely* where they came up with that prop, all the way down to which clues are revealed and which ones aren't.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083530/mediaviewer/rm847012864
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JMFabiano

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 03:35:53 PM »
Just rewatched Splash on Disney+ (yes, with butts censored by a mermaid hair loincloth and all...now that's just Maclunkey...)   I am reminded of the snippet of The (New) $25,000 Pyramid in one scene. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »
In "The In-Laws", there's a scene of Peter Falk and a cab driver in a diner and an episode of the Dennis James TPIR is playing on the set and Falk is asking what the show is about and goes, "And they're supposed to guess what all that crap is worth?"  Then later he asks, "How long has it been on?"   The cabbie answers, "Since 1911."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 06:55:38 PM »
I love how half of you have just decided to damn the parameters of the OP and rattle off sightings from old tv shows and movies.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »
Here's one that's kinda obscure: 1980s Hollywood Squares in Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead.
Which had a brief clip of Win, Lose, or Draw (which also ended by the time the film came out) before the babysitter turned the TV off.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »
It also has a clip of $25k Pyramid.  Walter was my main man!