Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel, Jeopardy & others suspend production due to coronavirus concerns  (Read 14607 times)

Loogaroo

California governor Gavin Newsom has announced that some parts of the state can resume television and film production as early as next week, as part of the plan to reopen the state.

Sadly, this does not apply to LA County, where pretty much all game show production is currently taking place.'

Source: https://deadline.com/2020/05/governor-gavin-newsom-says-production-could-restart-next-week-guidelines-released-monday-1202939927/
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

weaklink75

J! is going to run out of original episodes on June 12th (so one more week after the Teachers Tournament ends tonight), and no word on when they'll restart production- WOF is going to sprinkle in their remaining new episodes with reruns over the summer.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/05/jeopardy-reruns-start-date-last-new-original-episode-coronavirus/

(Based on the Vanna interview that was posted elsewhere, I'd think Wheel is closer to restarting than J! is)

byrd62

Would sterile isolation booth-like covers in front of each contestant work for the likes of J!, Wheel or Price?

Brig Bother

French TV is already doing shows with plastic dividers between contestants, surely it would be pretty easy to just put up the Final Jeopardy panels all show?

cmjb13

I obviously can’t speak for everyone, but I doubt anyone at home is going to want to watch contestants play a game wearing masks or standing 6 feet apart.

I’d bet these shows would likely do heavy testing with temperature checks and whatever other protocols they will follow before they go the mask and distance route. But maybe there’s just too much money involved and they will wear masks. Who knows?

I’m also getting kind of tired about hearing that a vaccine will be the be all end all. Who knows what will be in that vaccine that may cause side effects 10-20 years down the line?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 03:43:23 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Casey

French TV is already doing shows with plastic dividers between contestants, surely it would be pretty easy to just put up the Final Jeopardy panels all show?
I don’t think the Final Jeopardy panels extend above a person’s face, and they also aren’t physically between the people’s bodies - they just block the view of the writing area.

Brig Bother

There are fairly cheap workarounds for that, I suspect.

Fedya

It's all the latter-day equivalent of TSA security theater anyway.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Jeremy Nelson

Read an interview with Vanna  that says that Wheel is renovating the contestant area to account for social distancing. I would guess it’s got to include glass dividers, right? Cause if they don’t build a bigger wheel to increase the amount of space on the contestant rail, six feet would put Pat almost directly across from the blue player.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Kevin Prather

Read an interview with Vanna  that says that Wheel is renovating the contestant area to account for social distancing. I would guess it’s got to include glass dividers, right? Cause if they don’t build a bigger wheel to increase the amount of space on the contestant rail, six feet would put Pat almost directly across from the blue player.

Having the contestants stand at 90° intervals around the wheel is certainly possible. Pat doesn't have to stand at the wheel.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Wheel of Fortune in Greece has recently started back up production with the contestants at individual podiums away from the wheel with the plan being that each player steps up to spin the wheel when it's their turn and stay there as long as it's their turn. Seems like the simplest fix for every version of Wheel and honestly, individual podiums would probably work best for Jeopardy too.

https://twitter.com/StarChannelGr/status/1268158160541548544
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

calliaume

California Governor Gavin Newsom announced guidelines for resumption of television and film production in the state. Note these do not affect Los Angeles County, which was hardest hit by COVID-19.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-06-05/gavin-newsom-hollywood-production

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Wheel of Fortune in Greece has recently started back up production with the contestants at individual podiums away from the wheel with the plan being that each player steps up to spin the wheel when it's their turn and stay there as long as it's their turn.

Not pictured: the other two contestants constantly applying hand sanitizer because they're all grasping the same pegs.

Kevin Prather

Not pictured: the other two contestants constantly applying hand sanitizer because they're all grasping the same pegs.

An easy (maybe tongue-in-cheek, maybe not) solution: Paint the pegs alternating red, yellow, and blue, and tell the players they have to grab their own pegs.

BrandonFG

Wheel of Fortune in Greece has recently started back up production with the contestants at individual podiums away from the wheel with the plan being that each player steps up to spin the wheel when it's their turn and stay there as long as it's their turn.

I know you jest, but the peg situation immediately crossed my mind too.

/They could always bring back the motorized wheel
//I keed
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!