Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel, Jeopardy & others suspend production due to coronavirus concerns  (Read 14601 times)

chargeradiocom

Hadn’t seen a post about it here, but this story is making the media rounds today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/10/coronavirus-alex-trebek-jeopardy/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:44:30 PM by chargeradiocom »

JMFabiano

Smart considering what both hosts have been through.  Plus it'll be easier to mask than, say, Price is Right.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Kevin Prather

Obviously Alex is immunocompromised, but also don't forget that Johnny Gilbert is 95.

DjohnsonCB

Smart considering what both hosts have been through.  Plus it'll be easier to mask than, say, Price is Right.

Jimmy Kimmel showed a clip of what TPIR would be like without an audience on Tuesday night's show.  Awaiting post here or find it elsewhere.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

CeleTheRef

Here in Italy a recent "anti-virus" decree banned (among other things) all gatherings of people and enforces a 1-metre minimum safety space. 
All entertainment shows are now audience-free and gameshows are expected to follow suit when they run out of episodes taped before the decree.

This is Identity, the first to go "closed doors":
https://imgur.com/gaECkmC

The contestant is using a "Close Encounter" help. Previously it was allowed even to touch the Stranger, but now this is how close the encounter can be.
https://imgur.com/vvXDtcs

In our version the value of each Identity is hidden in a passport. Normally the host walks over to the Stranger to collect the passport and reveal the value, now the Strangers do the reveal themselves.
https://imgur.com/ir0U1PZ

chargeradiocom

Wow, thanks for checking in from Italy. Prayers for you—stay safe & well!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Initially, TPIR was going to thermally scan folks and bar those who've traveled to Level 3 countries from entering TVC going forward starting next week. Now with California's large gathering ban (of 250+ people), they have cancelled tapings for the next two weeks.

Conversely, Millionaire looks like it's going audience free now for the Kimmel run, saying that they're going to "suspend live audiences."
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Conversely, Millionaire looks like it's going audience free now for the Kimmel run, saying that they're going to "suspend live audiences."

"I'd like to Ask the Audience."

(music plays for 20 seconds)

"It's a four-way tie."

BrandonFG

It's kinda odd (even under the circumstances) to see the game show that made audiences on-camera a thing.......go without an audience.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:11:36 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

CeleTheRef

Wow, thanks for checking in from Italy. Prayers for you—stay safe & well!

Thanks for your kind words :) 

update: Identity is canceled. The last episode is airing tonight.

Television schedules are changing by the day. Some entertainment shows were outright canceled, others are cutting their season short, a few are still somehow running regularly:  Celebrity Big Brother is a notable example. This is what the set looks like now. https://imgur.com/7h9AYqh

TimK2003

What ABC Fun and Games have already taped their episodes for this upcoming season? -- We know PYL is already complete, and IIRC, Pyramid was scheduled for April, IIRC.

calliaume

It's kinda odd (even under the circumstances) that the game show that made audiences on-camera a thing.......go without an audience.
Having been in the audience once (during the first few weeks of taping), there's really no need for them to be there. Other than applauding during the appropriate times, we had to keep our mouths completely shut for obvious reasons, plus the stopdowns threw things off. And I was sitting right next to the monitor from which Regis read the Fastest Finger question--it occurred to me that he was irritable enough (first new format for him in over ten years), so looking directly at him while he was reading it might have annoyed him.

Mr. Matté

It's kinda odd (even under the circumstances) that the game show that made audiences on-camera a thing.......go without an audience.
Having been in the audience once (during the first few weeks of taping), there's really no need for them to be there. Other than applauding during the appropriate times, we had to keep our mouths completely shut for obvious reasons, plus the stopdowns threw things off.

"I wasn't giving Charles Ingram the answers, I just have coronavirus!"

jjman920

• Mhoops.
What ABC Fun and Games have already taped their episodes for this upcoming season? -- We know PYL is already complete, and IIRC, Pyramid was scheduled for April, IIRC.
TTTT taped in November, PYL taped in January, CFF taped in February. Card Sharks was to tape this month, Pyramid tickets have been out for next month. No idea if those tapings will go on as scheduled. No clue on how many Match Game episodes are held over from the previous season or when more will be taping.

Having been in the audience once (during the first few weeks of taping), there's really no need for them to be there. Other than applauding during the appropriate times, we had to keep our mouths completely shut for obvious reasons, plus the stopdowns threw things off. And I was sitting right next to the monitor from which Regis read the Fastest Finger question--it occurred to me that he was irritable enough (first new format for him in over ten years), so looking directly at him while he was reading it might have annoyed him.
I feel like part of it is that the audience being there adds a layer of drama, both for the at home audience and the contestant in studio, as the anxiety builds to whether the person in the hot seat would give the correct answer.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Kevin Prather

As confirmed on Ana Marie Johnson's instagram, the Ask the Audience lifeline will be replaced with Ask the Host.