Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay “bargain”  (Read 4686 times)

rstrata

eBay “bargain”
« on: March 08, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »
Was in a private negotiation for these, but apparently the seller wants ten times what I offered.  Looks like this bargain can now be yours:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-The-Jokers-Wild-Tv-Game-Show-Promo-Deck-Of-Cards-NOS-Sealed/352990297274

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: eBay “bargain”
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 09:44:44 PM »
You offered way too much. That's not worth $249. That's barely worth $2.49.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »

Nah, I'd have paid $25, especially if I was a fan of Joker (which I'm not).  It's unusual, a conversation piece.  It may not be "worth" that much in terms of turning around and selling it at a profit, but sometimes collectors just want things.  I've dropped that much on sillier stuff.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:22 PM »
Here's a few other eBay things...

For $25.00, there's a sign from the "Class Clowns" pilot.
Tickets to "The New Newlywed Game" with Jim Lange.  These are at $4.99.
A trade ad for a 1986 pilot titled "Ten Pin Alley" hosted by Ron Ely.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 10:48:36 PM »

Nah, I'd have paid $25, especially if I was a fan of Joker (which I'm not).  It's unusual, a conversation piece.  It may not be "worth" that much in terms of turning around and selling it at a profit, but sometimes collectors just want things.  I've dropped that much on sillier stuff.

True this. And fair point.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Sodboy13

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 01:19:27 AM »
Would that promo deck be from WITI-TV 6 in Milwaukee? Or did that "TV 6" logo make the rounds in a lot of markets?
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Chief-O

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 08:12:54 AM »
Would that promo deck be from WITI-TV 6 in Milwaukee? Or did that "TV 6" logo make the rounds in a lot of markets?

It is from WITI.
.....and it goes like this!!!

KrisW73

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »

I'm with Matt - as a fan of Joker I did take a look, but $249 is too rich for my blood. I would have paid $25.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 11:55:48 AM »

Class Clowns was one of several attempts Ron Greenberg made at a question and answer memory game featuring celebrities.  Most of us have seen at least part of the one called Word Grabbers because of the presence of David Letterman.  A couple of years ago, this seller had a lot of Ronnie's memorabilia up for bids.  I ended up with a couple of things, including one of my favorite pieces: the actual, physical credit roll for The Who What or Where Game.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 12:07:36 PM »

Class Clowns was one of several attempts Ron Greenberg made at a question and answer memory game featuring celebrities.  Most of us have seen at least part of the one called Word Grabbers because of the presence of David Letterman.  A couple of years ago, this seller had a lot of Ronnie's memorabilia up for bids.  I ended up with a couple of things, including one of my favorite pieces: the actual, physical credit roll for The Who What or Where Game.
And those "Big Showdown" dice found a nice home too :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

rstrata

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 12:29:13 PM »

I'm with Matt - as a fan of Joker I did take a look, but $249 is too rich for my blood. I would have paid $25.

It’s a well-preserved piece that lands squarely in two of my collectible wheelhouses, but $25 was my max too.  I didn’t even pay $250 for the show-used props I own, and this deck is certainly not in that category.

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 03:37:01 AM »
I guess the moral here is if you want something bad enough, even if it's only you who would buy it, sometimes you gotta pony up a bit. But just always be careful.

Neumms

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
I didn’t even pay $250 for the show-used props I own, and this deck is certainly not in that category.

Just curious, what props do you own? I'd love to own some props but have never seen them when they come up.

rstrata

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
I own a deck of Gambit cards from the 1970s run; it’s the only complete one I know to exist.  Purchased it from a seller in Europe eight years ago; he’d had it in his playing card collection since the mid-1980s.  That was a fluke though; it was on a personal site (not auction site) and I wouldn’t have seen it if I hadn’t been searching for something else.

Other items in the collection, found at various times on eBay: a single card from Card Sharks, a question card from the 1970s Joker’s Wild, and the money slides from the Bullseye bonus round.

tvwxman

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 06:00:58 AM »
I own a deck of Gambit cards from the 1970s run; it’s the only complete one I know to exist.  Purchased it from a seller in Europe eight years ago; he’d had it in his playing card collection since the mid-1980s. 

Cool!  Want to part with them? :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"