Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Concentration!  (Read 40006 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: More Concentration!
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2020, 11:12:26 PM »
Where did you find this definition?  My searches show that cash is any physical form of tender, while money relates to PayPal transfers and the like.

I remember a similar argument over "currency" or such many years ago.

Fair question, I based my feedback on the common everyday usage of the word "cash," rather than any current dictionary definition. Now that your question has prompted me to actually look up the legal and dictionary definitions, it indeed includes coinage. Well. Maybe Glenn was brought back later because someone asked that same question ;D

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2020, 11:17:58 PM »
Discussion about the second game of the 4/15 episode:
I at first matched the male contestant's answer of "Cash to burn," although I quickly realized that the show was more likely looking for "Money to burn." But still: Is there any good reason the show could justify that "Cash to burn" was a wrong answer?
The short answer is no, but "Money to burn" is the more common phrase, and "cash" would likely be spelled out differently. Unless there is something written in the show bible or contestant warm-ups, an invitation back may be in order.
This signature is currently under construction.

snowpeck

« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2020, 11:47:38 PM »
Discussion about the second game of the 4/15 episode:
I at first matched the male contestant's answer of "Cash to burn," although I quickly realized that the show was more likely looking for "Money to burn." But still: Is there any good reason the show could justify that "Cash to burn" was a wrong answer?
The short answer is no, but "Money to burn" is the more common phrase, and "cash" would likely be spelled out differently. Unless there is something written in the show bible or contestant warm-ups, an invitation back may be in order.
The host (whether it's Narz or Trebek) often says the answer has to be exactly what the judges are looking for, so I'm sure they're covered there.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Otm Shank

« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2020, 01:46:17 AM »
Of course the rule is that you must match what is on the judge's card exactly. But this one just didn't smell right. For a game that is built on soundalikes, it's a bit lazy that they just illustrated the word, and one with logical synonyms. (At the least, put M + honey on the top line, which is still lazy.)

While they can't accept any alternate answer, the ambiguity of the answer really should have resulted in a bring-back for the contestant.

catnap1972

« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2020, 08:28:59 AM »
Jack often says "when you see (this) we know it means (that)"...like how a chest equals "just", so would it have been standard that when they showed the graphic of cash currency it meant "money" ?

calliaume

« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
Tonight's episode suggested a bit more clarity on the intermittent wrinkles like "Call 3."
Seems to me they're just rotating house rules to add some variety and have no negative impact on the at-home play-along factor.
No negative impact for those playing along at home, but it seemed to have an effect on the game itself. The contestant starting the game hit something like seven matches in a row (making use of the Head Starts) before losing control to her opponent (who wound up winning). I'd be a little ticked if my opponent started a Call 3 game and ran the board all the way to a win without getting a turn.

Blanquepage

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2020, 08:21:57 PM »
'K, I anticipate opinions on the second Fast Play round tonight. I for one had to compare the one Mike posted in Video to tonight's. My thought:

Kay read out the entire solution before the buzzer ended. John didn't get the "Door" ("tor") syllable until after the buzzer ended.

Anyone see it differently?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »
'K, I anticipate opinions on the second Fast Play round tonight. I for one had to compare the one Mike posted in Video to tonight's. My thought:

Kay read out the entire solution before the buzzer ended. John didn't get the "Door" ("tor") syllable until after the buzzer ended.

Kay started her answer before the buzzer and finished without pausing or stumbling.  John was still fumbling around with the first part of "inventor" when the buzzer sounded.

Blanquepage

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2020, 09:04:04 PM »

Kay started her answer before the buzzer and finished without pausing or stumbling.  John was still fumbling around with the first part of "inventor" when the buzzer sounded.
But, in my view she did pause though. That's why I thought it was the fact she completed the answer before the buzzer ended. If I were to transcribe it, her answer was
 "Washingtonnnn....(Bzzz)CrossedTheDelaware!(zzzt)

Bryce L.

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2020, 07:22:14 PM »
Buzzr's schedules for May 11th are up... and we loop back to 0971 that evening. It may only be 30 episodes, but that's still 30 more than we had before all this started.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »
"Mount Vernon was closing" is probably my favorite wrong answer so far. It's a shame no one in the studio caught that to use for humor.
This signature is currently under construction.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2020, 08:10:51 PM »
I am in awe and absolutely love how they utilized a merman in a puzzle.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2020, 09:48:39 PM »
I am in awe and absolutely love how they utilized a merman in a puzzle.
Jack obviously was, too. That was also proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was briefed on the puzzles beforehand because he commented before revealing the puzzle that he didn't even have to look at the solution because he remembered what it was.

I think the contestant should have been docked another second for the time it took her to get around to saying "Merman" instead of "Berman," though in the end it didn't matter since she failed to solve the second puzzle anyway.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2020, 07:46:00 PM »
Last night's (4/20) certainly lived up to its date. The contestants moved so slow and took so long solving the puzzle that over half the show was over. By the time they got to the second puzzle, there was only time for three calls before they had to buzz for time. Unsurprisingly, there was no time for a bonus Double Play or money game with the contestants at the end, which feels rare in these batch of shows, so far.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2020, 08:13:33 PM »
As I was watching the end of tonight's (April 21) "Concentration", my screen went to black with a spinning circle in the upper right corner and the show didn't come back till Jack said his goodbyes.  Can someone post a shot of the complete puzzle in the Money Game, and did Lorraine solve it?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel