Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Concentration!  (Read 39923 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: More Concentration!
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2020, 08:02:51 PM »
Two observations from tonight's game:
- Gee they love their "awl" and "ass" in this version
- Anyone else get Kellyanne Conway resemblance vibes from Kay?  ;D
(a much more pleasant KC, that is)

BrandonFG

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2020, 08:26:08 PM »
This sparked a fun conversation on Facebook last week. A few people mentioned that Concentration was how they knew what an awl was. :)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2020, 09:16:16 PM »
Funny, that's what I do when I realize it's almost 7:30, awl ass

/sorry
//not sorry
This signature is currently under construction.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2020, 09:48:16 PM »
The first Double Play from tonight's episode was amazing--Kay gets a lengthy first puzzle in 3 seconds, then answers the second puzzle at the buzzer for the car.

KrisW73

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2020, 01:53:16 PM »
The first Double Play from tonight's episode was amazing--Kay gets a lengthy first puzzle in 3 seconds, then answers the second puzzle at the buzzer for the car.

I looked at my wife and said "Sounds like she started that before the buzzer sounded..." and sure enough Jack confirmed it a few moments later - great solve

Clay Zambo

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2020, 02:55:34 PM »
I'd be willing to bet, if/when we get there, that the pre-Double Play matching game episodes have far fewer time filler segments (Money Game, $50 Double Play, etc.) than the ones Buzzr is showing now.

I would not wager against you on that one. And I would be happy if you are right, because the Money Game and $50 Double Play feel sooooooo disappointing after a car game. Especially after a car WIN.
czambo@mac.com

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »
When one player swept both games, they should have let the other contestant play both $50 puzzles. It would make the show look like a generous, fun place where they're more interested in giving things away than competition. Instead, it kind of looked to me like a sideline reporter interviewing someone on the losing team real quick before the Super Bowl champs interrupt to literally run a victory lap around them.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »
When one player swept both games, they should have let the other contestant play both $50 puzzles. It would make the show look like a generous, fun place where they're more interested in giving things away than competition. Instead, it kind of looked to me like a sideline reporter interviewing someone on the losing team real quick before the Super Bowl champs interrupt to literally run a victory lap around them.
Agreed. One of the eps. from the first week had a guy named Ronnie sweep and then win a car in the second attempt. I found it odd that they let him play for more instead of doing what you suggested, or giving his opponent both Double Play puzzles for $100. Granted, his opponent did win $50, so at least she didn't go home empty-handed.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

vtown7

« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2020, 05:29:02 PM »
I like the 30-square board.  You can have a one-row puzzle filling the entirety of the board, a two-row puzzle (each row of the rebus fits nicely in a block of 15 squares) or a three-row puzzle (each row being 10 squares), with no overlap into another row, i.e., there won't be something dangling from the first row of a 3-row rebus behind square 11.  It seems Concentration has less empty squares than Classic, particularly in the corners.

This post of Mike's popped up in my mind today... there was a puzzle on Classic on Buzzr today (we're currently in puzzle-bonus-likely interrupted puzzle-bonus from Jan 1988) that at the start the show didn't open any squares for reasons that would become "evident".  By the end when the entire puzzle was revealed over *half* of the spaces were just that sky blue background.  It seemed like a puzzle that was designed for a tie breaker in the best 2-out-of-3 format popped up a few months too early.  Alex was cracking jokes about it the entire time.

Ryan

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2020, 05:37:10 PM »
Funny, that's what I do when I realize it's almost 7:30, awl ass

/sorry
//not sorry

Better than what I was gonna say...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

calliaume

« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2020, 08:10:37 PM »
I didn't realize that the "libraries" awarded as prizes were from Thomas Nelson, which was (and still is) primarily a religious publisher. That's a bit of a surprise; usually game shows stayed away from nonsecular prizes to my knowledge. (Peter Marshall's Backstage With the Original Hollywood Square was published by their general trade imprint Rutledge Hill, and the contract for it may have been signed before Thomas Nelson acquired the imprint.)

Also not sure why it never occurred to me to ask if St. Martin's would want to offer their books as prizes on the show--although by that time Classic Concentration would have been on, and that would have been about 50 books or more.

Blanquepage

« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
Tonight's episode suggested a bit more clarity on the intermittent wrinkles like "Call 3."
Seems to me they're just rotating house rules to add some variety and have no negative impact on the at-home play-along factor.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »
I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge the financial contributions of Toni. It's become a matter not of if but when the HOME WAVE will appear among the head starts. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Discussion about the second game of the 4/15 episode:

I at first matched the male contestant's answer of "Cash to burn," although I quickly realized that the show was more likely looking for "Money to burn." But still: Is there any good reason the show could justify that "Cash to burn" was a wrong answer?

Blanquepage

« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2020, 10:55:03 PM »
I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge the financial contributions of Toni. It's become a matter not of if but when the HOME WAVE will appear among the head starts. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Discussion about the second game of the 4/15 episode:

I at first matched the male contestant's answer of "Cash to burn," although I quickly realized that the show was more likely looking for "Money to burn." But still: Is there any good reason the show could justify that "Cash to burn" was a wrong answer?

Yes, here's my feedback: "Cash" is paper currency, the coins are "Change." While overall, both are considered "Money," as they appeared in the rebus, his guess of "cash" refers solely to paper currency, as I see it still does today.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2020, 11:02:26 PM »
Where did you find this definition?  My searches show that cash is any physical form of tender, while money relates to PayPal transfers and the like.

I remember a similar discussion over "currency" or such many years ago over a FJ answer.
--Mark
Phil 4:13