Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show within a TV show/movie sighting (thread?)  (Read 4836 times)

BrandonFG

Game show within a TV show/movie sighting (thread?)
« on: March 05, 2020, 10:49:19 PM »
It's been a while since we've done one of these...maybe it can become its own thread. I'm thinking we could add new game show sightings as we go along, not stuff noted in the past, i.e. the clip of Jeopardy! in Groundhog Day.

Anyway, last night I started watching the Amazon Prime series Hunters, starring Al Pacino. During an establishing shot, I hear what sounds like a game show playing, and sure enough, the character is watching Las Vegas Gambit. I'm not sure if the episode is on Youtube or within the circuit, so I found it interesting that that was the show used, instead of something more mainstream like an old TPiR or Hollywood Squares. For the record, the couples in question are the Downeys and the Pattons, and there's a question about Marilu Henner. :P Fun fact: IMDb claims that the husband of the Downey duo is controversial talk show host Morton Downey, Jr.

What makes it even more interesting for me is that Hunters is set in summer 1977, three years before this version of Gambit hit the airwaves. Obviously, the producers just needed a generic daytime game show, and the average viewer wouldn't notice. Regardless, I got a kick out of them using Gambit of all shows. The credits give thanks to a company called Clear Rights, which handles clearances, so I imagine getting an obscure 40-year-old game show would've been easier than going through Fremantle or Sony for one of their properties.

As for the series itself, it's interesting, but with the plot surrounding anti-Semitism, it is quite dark.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Game show within a TV show/movie sighting (thread?)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 06:28:20 AM »
Here's one that's kinda obscure: 1980s Hollywood Squares in Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »
Here's one that's kinda obscure: 1980s Hollywood Squares in Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead.
(Fast Money duplicate buzz) :)

I'm thinking we could add new game show sightings as we go along, not stuff noted in the past, i.e. the clip of Jeopardy! in Groundhog Day.

There used to be a site that featured a list of clips. I can't remember who ran it..."Fiesta Jon" maybe?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
There used to be a site that featured a list of clips. I can't remember who ran it..."Fiesta Jon" maybe?
Jay Lewis at QWIZX.com was the purveyor of a list of game shows within other media as well as game shows that never were as mentioned in television, movies or books and such.
Travis L. Eberle

Loogaroo

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:17:20 PM »
I'll never forget the "Exciting trip to Canada!!" offered on a Tom Kennedy episode of TPIR during the tail end of Flight of the Navigator.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

chrisholland03

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 03:44:29 PM »
I remember going to a movie as a kid in the early-mid 80s that had the '83 Jeopardy! pilot in a scene.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what the movie was. I've run across it a couple of times as an adult, but even then it was a forgettable movie other than having the '83 Jeopardy! pilot in it.  The Googles have been no help so far.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 03:57:00 AM »
In Stranger Things Eleven's birth mother was watching Feud it's first two seasons.  Also, if you watch The Goldbergs there is a lot of game show clips therem. Like All-New Dating Game Wheel, and J! in the Double Dare episode, they showed clips from TNG, J! WOF, and Pyramid.  in the first season of Ozark there is a clip of Whammy!  also in Boston Legal Leslie Jordan's character watched Hollywood Showdown and Millionaire.  (Viera).  In Used Cars when the gang talks about interrupting the resident's speech for one of their comnercials they are watching LMAD.  Also when they get ready to interrupt the speech, newlywed Game is shown.  It is In fact, a clip of the episode with Charlie and Pat Brill. 

Jamey Greek

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 03:57:47 AM »
Electric Dreams has clips of Love Connection and LMAD.

carlisle96

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
In "The Graduate," Dustin Hoffman finds the Robinsons mirthlessly watching "The Newlywed Game" and Peter Falk mocks "The Price Is Right" in "The In-Laws"

Jamey Greek

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
In A Beautiful Day in the Nejghborhood Lloyd's father is watching J!  Also, in Lucky Numbers there is a J! Clip, as well.as a clip from $25k Pyramid and John Travolta's character is watching Bob Eubanks' interview with Gary Co!kind on Hour Magazine

Casey

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 07:57:26 PM »
The second episode of Moonlighting, “Gunfight at the So-So Corral” features Bruce Willis watching and playing along with a contemporary episode of Family Feud.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:57:36 AM by isucgv »

Kniwt

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 11:10:58 PM »
I remember going to a movie as a kid in the early-mid 80s that had the '83 Jeopardy! pilot in a scene.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what the movie was. I've run across it a couple of times as an adult, but even then it was a forgettable movie other than having the '83 Jeopardy! pilot in it.  The Googles have been no help so far.

You might be thinking of the NBC made-for-TV movie Special Bulletin (the one in which Charleston, S.C., -- um, that would be spoilers). It's right in the first minute, at 0:42 in this very high-quality copy that I didn't know existed until I just searched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqQBk8s0joA

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 05:59:11 AM »

You might be thinking of the NBC made-for-TV movie Special Bulletin (the one in which Charleston, S.C., -- um, that would be spoilers). It's right in the first minute, at 0:42 in this very high-quality copy that I didn't know existed until I just searched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqQBk8s0joA

One of my favorite movies from the 80s. NBC caught a lot of nuclear heat when they aired this the first time, when they rebroadcast it , they put disclaimers during every ad saying "this was not real".

And yes, one of the first game shows i created in my mind, at 10 years old, was "Four Squares".
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »
If you are even a tad bit interested in music from the 50s-70s, I strongly encourage you to see the documentary "The Wrecking Crew", now available on Hulu,  etc...

One member of "The Crew" was a guitarist by the name of Tommy Tedesco, who the movie was dedicated to. Long story short, when his music-making career was on the wane,  he appeared as a contestant on "The Gong Show" where he performed a song about his once-successful career.  They show parts of his appearance. 

Tommy and other musicians, were responsible for the music behind many of the artists of the day, appearing in hundreds and hundreds of songs -- many which became big hits.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 10:37:38 AM »
If you are even a tad bit interested in music from the 50s-70s, I strongly encourage you to see the documentary "The Wrecking Crew", now available on Hulu,  etc...

One member of "The Crew" was a guitarist by the name of Tommy Tedesco, who the movie was dedicated to. Long story short, when his music-making career was on the wane,  he appeared as a contestant on "The Gong Show" where he performed a song about his once-successful career.  They show parts of his appearance. 

Tommy and other musicians, were responsible for the music behind many of the artists of the day, appearing in hundreds and hundreds of songs -- many which became big hits.
IIRC, he was also part of Tommy Oliver's band on Face the Music.