Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows you watched with your parents)was it a family thing?)  (Read 5099 times)

bulldog_06

Re: Shows you watched with your parents)was it a family thing?)
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 07:34:25 PM »
Often times my father and I would watch the current versions of LMAD and Family Feud.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 08:22:56 PM »
Dan, I know I'm basically talking to a wall here, but you do understand that the post you replied to had already been up for over two weeks the last time anyone -- specifically, you -- posted in this thread NEARLY TWO MONTHS AGO, right?

rstrata

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 08:25:32 PM »
Watched Wheel and Jeopardy! with my father; I vividly recall being thrilled that he specifically invited me to watch J! with him on his own small TV he had set up in the den on the day it premiered in syndication.  The one rule was that I had to say “got it” instead of blurting out the solution on Wheel so he didn’t spend five minutes waiting for the contestants to get around to solving the puzzle themselves, but I was freely encouraged to go to town on J!

That same rule applied for Quizbusters, which at one point used to air at noon on Sundays.  Dad would race the family home immediately after church services ended; we typically got home around the first pop quiz segment.

Just before he passed, we would watch WWBTAM together, despite his longtime disdain for Regis Philbin; he had attended a taping of The Neighbors on a trip to California in the mid-1970s.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 02:00:27 AM by rstrata »

SuperMatch93

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »
My parents were never big game show fans, but we did watch Supermarket Sweep and Shop 'Til You Drop over dinner, and more recently, Family Feud.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

mystery7

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 01:39:58 PM »
Grammy gave me the game show bug. She pledged allegiance to NBC in the morning watching Card Sharks and Chain Reaction. Then after her stories were over (and I was out of the inflatable pool for the afternoon), she'd hit CBS for Match Game before we ate and sat back down for the Barry & Enright shows. Grammy was a hoot during Joker: "Wish to god she loses" was her big phrase every time a player went for a spin. Crosswits, Tic Tac Dough, Price Is Right, Face The Music and Bullseye were nighttime staples for us. Mom never really got the bug, but she happily tagged along with us as Grammy and I engrossed ourselves.

Grammy also had a fair selection of game show board games in the attic: I distinctly remember Video Village, Joker's Wild and Pay Cards among her jewels. Now I have my own copies of them - and a bunch more - in my attic.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 04:24:05 PM »
Rehashing: My grandma was a CBS loyalist, so we always watched the Pyramid in the morning while it was on. I watched Sale of the Century too but I think that was with my mom. Grandma didn't watch too many NBC game shows except for Wheel and Concentration. Only times I caught Scrabble was on USA; we'd watch that too.

Only rule? No Press Your Luck. Hated it to the day she died, so I could only watch when I was home by myself..
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 01:30:16 PM »
When The People's Court wasn't on, my grandma and I watched the USA game show block. At home, my family and I would watch Wheel of Fortune during dinner.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
That same rule applied for Quizbusters, which at one point used to air at noon on Sundays.  Dad would race the family home immediately after church services ended; we typically got home around the first pop quiz segment.

I will never not want to hear stories like this.  Thank you.

I remember watching the 70s version of To Tell The Truth with my grandmother.  Today I don't consider it one of my favorite shows.  It's not even my favorite panel show.  But there's no question that it had an outsized influence on my interest in the genre, and in Bill Cullen specifically.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 01:04:42 PM »
My dad loved Truth or Consequences, which may be what set me on the road to being a Barkerphile. (I watched the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants when I was far too young to appreciate the contestants' pulchritude, but I didn't want to miss Bob.) Other than that, I was pretty much alone in my enjoyment of game shows.