Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows you watched with your parents)was it a family thing?)  (Read 5086 times)

danderson

Shows you watched with your parents)was it a family thing?)
« on: February 28, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
I usally watched Wheel ad J! with my parents, but American Gladiators was usually alone(since it came on late at night). AG was the first show i was allowed to watch alone by my own self.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:52:36 AM by danderson »

TimK2003

Re: Shows you watched with your parents)was it a family thing?)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
My dad was always a news and sports junkie, while my mom was into All My Children -- neither were into game shows.

And then there was my grandmother.  As I would try to follow as many game shows in a broadcast day, she was doing soap operas in the same dosages.  I dreaded the days I was at grandma's house:  1970s; one TV; and I couldn't "touch" the knobs.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 03:52:28 PM »
With my Dad and Stepmom the 7p hour became not only game show time but also a chance to debrief and share about our day while I was in HS and sister in junior high. With Wheel of Fortune first everyone could relax and share, and by 7:30 we were ready to remove the gloves and do battle over questioning answers. Millionaire caught me harder than the rest but while it aired and I was still at home we would watch it off and on.

While my Dad was studying for the bar in the early to mid 80s he would take a break and watch Tic Tac Dough and Joker's Wild and I would join him. I do not recall the genesis of my enjoyment but that's as good as anything.
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:56:22 PM »
My parents indulged my interest in game shows as a child (we went to two tapings in New York, What's My Line? in 1970 and The Money Maze in 1975), but we didn't really watch them together. At least not until I was an adult (and then it was often Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! after dinner when we were visiting). They didn't really like having me watch with them; I usually solved/answered much quicker.

rebelwrest

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
Since I became unemployed and had to move back into my parent's house, we usually watch Jeopardy! at 7PM. Sometimes the action is interrupted by a message on the police scanner, and the reason my parents own a police scanner eludes me to this day even after their half-hearted responses.  My theory is they own it so mom can get the county gossip quicker than anyone else.  Dad watches it because he likes seeing smart people in action, and he likes to see me give a lot of correct responses. My mom watches because dad has the remote controls, but when mom gets a response correct, she celebrates. You will never be as proud of yourself as my mom was when she got 1/3 (not a typo) of a response correct.

/I've been with them for so long, I can tell the subtle differences in the scents between Icy Hot and Ben Gay
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 09:35:16 PM »
Mom ADORED almost anything done by Chuck Barris, but especially loved The Gong Show.  When GSN was doing that 50 Greatest countdown like 15 years ago and I found out they were airing an episode I called her and told her about it and she was ecstatic.  Now that she's older and has more free time she's come to really enjoy the current revival shows like Match Game (she also loved the 70s version), To Tell the Truth, and she's real big on The Masked Singer and calls me to talk about it.

Dad was big on Let's Make a Deal and The Hollywood Squares with Paul Lynde in the 70s.  Now when I see him if the TV is on he's watching Steve Harvey's Family Feud.

Oddly enough we have a large family but besides my Mom and Dad most of my family dislikes game shows.  One of my Uncles appeared on It's Academic in the NYC market in the early 1970s but he doesn't have a lot of positive memories about appearing.  I assume he lost.   :)
- CC Kirby

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 11:29:49 PM »
Wheel of Fortune was appointment TV for my mom and me as a child. I didn't start really appreciating Jeopardy until later. When Hollywood Squares ran opposite Jeopardy, it often won out.

Mom and Dad both enjoyed Millionaire with me during the August run, but by the November run, it was my show.

daveromanjr

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
My mother was (and still is) into game shows.  Grew up watching the CBS block in the 80s with Pyramid, Feud and Price.  Once USA and Family Channel started airing reruns a lot of summer afternoons was us watching game show reruns together.  Our collective favorite was Wipeout.  In fact I knew Peter Tomarken from Wipeout before ever seeing Press Your Luck. 

My dad and I shared a lot of things in common but game shows was a "mom and me" thing.  It's something I cherish.

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 01:28:33 PM »
I got hooked on Tic Tac Dough and Joker's Wild when I was very young because my mom watched them. When I was a little older, I in turn got my mom hooked on nighttime Wheel. She was always a Squares fan so it was the end of Wheel in our house once Davidson Squares bowed in '86.

My dad wasn't really into game shows at all but as he got into his '70s, he really enjoyed Price.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
My great-grandmother enjoyed the daytime shows, and I watched plenty with her. I've mentioned before how one of my earliest memories was the neon Joker on TJW and the Tune Topics board on Lange's Name That Tune.

My mother and grandmother watched game shows as well, and my mom has become a big GSN fan in the last decade, but I think they watched because they knew I loved games so much as a kid.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Offshored2007

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 12:26:24 PM »
Marshall HS, Fleming J! Ate lunch at home during that time.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 01:18:50 AM »
J! was a regular thing with Dad and me. Still is, even if we don't live under the same roof anymore.

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

colonial

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »
My parents were not the biggest of game show fans, but would watch with me when I was a child as long as the show was appropriate. I do remember them being fans of Ed McMahon's "Whodunnit," but that was more to them being fans of the mystery TV genre, guessing the culprit at the end, etc. They saw it less as a game show but more of an extension of, say, "Cannon" or "Vega$". They also were casual fans of Davidson Squares, saying they preferred Davidson's hosting to Peter Marshall. (*)

My father and I bonded in front of the TV for a week to watch, of all things, "Hot Potato." Michael Winslow was one of the celebrity players that week, and my parents had just seen the original "Police Academy" on video (I was only 10 or so, so the R-rated "Police Academy" was a no-no). My dad enjoyed Winslow's antics in the film, so he watched specifically to catch Winslow do one of his sound effects (IIRC, Bill Cullen would have Winslow do one of his vocal tricks after an ad break each episode). My father even mentioned to me that he hoped Winslow made "more family-friendly films" as I would enjoy his work.

Years later, while in college, I interviewed Winslow to promote a stand-up set he was doing near campus. Near the end of the chat, I mentioned watching "Hot Potato" with my dad and how we both got a kick out of his act. He was surprised I could remember the show (he said everyone asks him about "Police Academy" and "Spaceballs), but thanked me for the memory. He also mentioned that Bill Cullen told him that his vocal antics would have been a hit on Ed Sullivan, and he considered that a great badge of honor.

JD

(*) -- This may be a family thing. My grandparents on my mother's side vented a few times about how Dennis James was a far better host than Bob Barker on TPIR because James was a "Jersey guy" and Barker was a "farmhand." My mother explained after their passing that they were still upset that their oldest son (my uncle) moved from NYC suburbia to Nebraska for college and adulting and pretty much dismissed all Nebraskans as nothing but farmhands. They also watched anyone but Johnny Carson after the late local news for the same reason.

Yes, I know Barker was born in Washington state and raised in South Dakota. But the fact my grandparents rejected both Barker and Carson because they are somehow connected to my uncle going all "Green Acres" is, well, different.

JD

danderson

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 11:52:01 PM »
My dad was always a news and sports junkie, while my mom was into All My Children -- neither were into game shows.

And then there was my grandmother.  As I would try to follow as many game shows in a broadcast day, she was doing soap operas in the same dosages.  I dreaded the days I was at grandma's house:  1970s; one TV; and I couldn't "touch" the knobs.

I had one TV in my bedroom, so it really didn't matter.

In the fall of 90, it was Tic Tac Dough, the NBC ones, then Price. Then, once the soaps were done, i'd switch to the CBS affiliate to watch The Joker's Wild and The Challengers, then Wheel and J! on the ABC one. American Gladiators on late Saturdays on the ABC station too, either at 12am or 1am. I did not touch the knob while the soaps were on. When i started school in December of 90, i'd still watch TJW, as it was on at 4pm(about 90 minutes after i got out of school). AG of course was on weekends.

danderson

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 09:43:27 AM »
My mother was (and still is) into game shows.  Grew up watching the CBS block in the 80s with Pyramid, Feud and Price.  Once USA and Family Channel started airing reruns a lot of summer afternoons was us watching game show reruns together.  Our collective favorite was Wipeout.  In fact I knew Peter Tomarken from Wipeout before ever seeing Press Your Luck. 

My dad and I shared a lot of things in common but game shows was a "mom and me" thing.  It's something I cherish.

I watched $ale of the Century with my mom in the 80s. Same with Price is Right. I remember my grandmother watching with me sometimes, if my mom was working. I think it me and my grandmother watching when Rani White won the 50K on $otc in the WBMG in 88.