Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ACTUAL U.S. Game Shows Exported Abroad.  (Read 2304 times)

TimK2003

ACTUAL U.S. Game Shows Exported Abroad.
« on: February 28, 2020, 06:46:24 PM »
A few months ago, I stumbled upon some episodes of Tic Tac Dough on YouTube that looked like the video was culled from an airing on some British TV or Cable channel in the UK.   It was odd not only to hear a British booth announcer speaking of what show was coming up next, it was also surprising to see an American show broadcast outside of North America.

I also seem to recall way back in the 80s (?) that on at least a couple of occasions on The Price Is Right, that Bob Barker mentioned that his show (I am assuming the actual CBS shows) was seen in England.  Now that is based on 35-40 year fuzzy memories. 

But since many successful US TV shows have and still are exported overseas, possibly in addition to foreign adaptations, I'm curious to find out what particular US game shows were/are seen in foreign countries not named Canada or Mexico?  And did those shows air on traditional national networks, or just on niche channels (like a BBC America)?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Re: ACTUAL U.S. Game Shows Exported Abroad.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 08:37:05 PM »
Tim, answering that question would require a very long list.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

JakeT

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 09:53:21 PM »
But since many successful US TV shows have and still are exported overseas, possibly in addition to foreign adaptations, I'm curious to find out what particular US game shows were/are seen in foreign countries not named Canada or Mexico?  And did those shows air on traditional national networks, or just on niche channels (like a BBC America)?

If I'm not mistaken, BBC America only airs in the United States and I don't believe any US game shows have aired on BBC America...

JakeT

Sodboy13

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:30:37 PM »
I think he meant "like a BBC America," in a sense that it's an out-of-country offshoot of a network, bringing foreign programs to another land.

When we were in Australia in 2009, there was a cable network called Channel W which showed US TPIR from the previous season.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

rebelwrest

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:09:47 PM »
When Sky One (a British satellite channel) first aired programming in the late 80s, they would air episodes of Classic Concentration minus the prize and product plugs.  There was an episode of Classic Concentration that aired on the UK channel on YouTube but it has since been taken down.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
I recall hearing from a friend that Strahan Pyramid was aired in half hour format in Singapore paired with American Wheel at some point. I can't recall if it was on a niche network there or not. I do remember though at a Wheel taping I went to a year ago that an audience member from Singapore had mentioned that he watched it every night at 7:30 his time and had traveled to the US partly to see the show live. Jim was so taken by his story that he introduced him to Harry before the taping was over.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

golden-road

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
I recall hearing from a friend that Strahan Pyramid was aired in half hour format in Singapore paired with American Wheel at some point. I can't recall if it was on a niche network there or not. I do remember though at a Wheel taping I went to a year ago that an audience member from Singapore had mentioned that he watched it every night at 7:30 his time and had traveled to the US partly to see the show live. Jim was so taken by his story that he introduced him to Harry before the taping was over.

Channel 5, one of the bigger English networks over there. https://www.mewatch.sg/en/channelguide