The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Eggcrate Display Mystery Solved!

(1/7) > >>

jlgarfield:
- After so many years, we now have info on the "eggcrate" display's manufacturer and model number. It is made by Display Systems, and the model number is the 19S-8. See it in action here! :D

jlgarfield:
At this time, however, I do not know anything further about the Display Systems company. Anybody have any idea who they were?

dazztardly:
That's pretty cool seeing this video. I remember Chris319 helping me many years ago when trying to emulate one of these displays. Think these were driven by a diode matrix?

-Dan

tomcat:
Each display is driven by its own diode matrix. You apply 28 volts DC to one pin, and depending on which pin you place the ground, decides which number from 0-9 or "$" symbol gets displayed.

I bought a couple of these and hooked up a relay board to each, and have a little ESP8266 microcontroller controlling the relay boards.

Check it out!

Sodboy13:
One thing has long puzzled me about this design. It's a 5x7 matrix, but all of the numbers are actually only made within three rows and three columns of the matrix, which saves you on materials and light bulbs and setting up the circuitry, I imagine. Well, except for the serif on the "1," which sticks outside of the matrix and has a dedicated bulb for use only in that digit. I wonder why they didn't just give the "1" a flat top serif that fit with everything else in the set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version