Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "A skateboard from Rice-a-Roni"  (Read 5026 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: "A skateboard from Rice-a-Roni"
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »
I don't remember getting bonus trinkets when I was on Sale of the Century.  I do remember that one of my consolation prizes was a supply of Otter Pops, the freezer treat.  Instead I got a check (I believe it was for $20) along with a note saying that they hoped I would take this check and go to the store to buy my own Otter Pops.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 09:49:05 PM »
I remember reading on Curt Alliaume's old website that a contestant who won money on Winning Streak also got the parting gifts...did they just give them away to anyone who was lucky enough to get on, even if you retired as an undefeated champion?

Yes. Repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ggePjCP8Y

"A toaster...a bathroom scale...a clock radio, oh and another toaster."
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 02:15:15 AM »
That video is fourteen frigging years old...man oh Manischewitz.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob still is using some of that stuff. That cleanser sure looks like a lifetime supply.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BillCullen1

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 09:29:52 AM »

Sammy Davis Jr. is smiling from above.  :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »
It came from an earlier version of his personal website and he was first a contestant on Halloween of 1997.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob still is using some of that stuff. That cleanser sure looks like a lifetime supply.
After consulting with his competitor-turned-friend Kim Worth Bob decided to donate what remained at some point of the perishable stuff and cleansers to local shelters, which I would have done as I have not accumulated enough enemies in my forty years on earth to unload that amount of V-8 Splash at them.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 09:10:53 PM »
After consulting with his competitor-turned-friend Kim Worth Bob decided to donate what remained at some point of the perishable stuff and cleansers to local shelters, which I would have done as I have not accumulated enough enemies in my forty years on earth to unload that amount of V-8 Splash at them.

Shoulda called me. I quite enjoy V8 Splash. :)

And got the taste of it through getting a random supply of it. Dad until very recently drove for a carting company doing private contracting work (in other words, if his company supplied you with dumpsters and if he was the driver on your route, he was the guy who picked it up) and some of his customers would, from time to time, give him stuff to take home. One was a warehouser in North Jersey that distributed stuff to local stores, and they happened to have a contract with whoever was bottling V8 at the time in the area (I assume Campbell's wasn't doing it themselves, and Camden is in southwest Jersey). So Dad brought home a couple of cases of V8 Splash bottles and I decided to try it. What can I say? It was good.

My dad also was the man who picked up refuse at a restaurant featured on Kitchen Nightmares. I like to tell a story about that, but for the sake of bandwidth won't do it here (but if you wanna know, feel free to message me).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

johnnya2k3

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 09:54:47 PM »
During the '80s, I remember gift certificates and a cooler bucket from KFC being a consolation prize on several shows.

And who could forget the Heatter-Quigley shows offering consolation prizes up the wazoo, like nighttime Hollywood Squares for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0QLaTKyLNk

/Boy, if only Lord Alfred Hayes was with us today to say, "Closed captioning and promotional consideration paid for by the following..."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:54:16 AM by johnnya2k3 »

ActualRetailMike

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 10:25:03 PM »
I distinctly remember a fee plug on a gameshow that included a skateboard, but I think the product was Blammo bubblegum.

The announcer said "...and a skateboard, and Blammo bubblegum (followed by description)".  The still picture showed an actual skateboard with maybe a couple dozen individually-wrapped pieces of bubblegum randomly strewn on and around it.

Of course, Blammo bubblegum has long since been discontinued.