Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "A skateboard from Rice-a-Roni"  (Read 5015 times)

Mr. Matté

"A skateboard from Rice-a-Roni"
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:21:40 PM »
During the mid-/end-of- show plugs of various 70s or 80s shows, the announcer when reading off the list of things departing contestants or audience members may receive, I occasionally hear a generic item unrelated to the main plug and product card displayed announced. An example would be "...and a skateboard plus a supply of Rice-A-Roni the San Francisco treat..." What is the impetus behind this? Does Rice-a-Roni supply an actual skateboard (bought at Walmart or something) or provide a gift certificate? Or is the random item from the production company?

Otm Shank

Re: "A skateboard from Rice-a-Roni"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 11:23:57 PM »
The one that comes to mind as a direct prize correlation is the luxurious beach towel from Hawaiian Tropic. But that might just be said to get you to look on the art card for a beach towel, because that certainly wasn't the focus.

The odd items are obviously not sponsored, but those fee plugs probably had some cash that went to a prize broker who could get a bunch of odds and ends. Also, I would have to think that some contestants did not fit the daytime demographic of the era, so they threw in a few extras that weren't cosmetics and Lee Press-on Nails. But obviously there were some advertisers that offered broad appeal, such as half a wall of Z-Brick.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 03:06:42 AM »
Pretty sure you got a waffle iron with your supply of Staley Syrup...honestly it has been awhile since I've seen any Match Game but this one stuck out for me.

They also made Sta-Puf fabric softener. Thought that was strange before I remembered that French's mustard and Lysol once belonged to the same company; ditto Skippy peanut butter and Lever 2000 soap (for the time when you got peanut butter all over your 2000 parts of course).

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 09:36:21 AM »
I believe you got "beautiful towels" with your supply of Ty-D-Bowl.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

mrchips

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 09:48:56 AM »
And a warming tray with Creamette.

Lots of companies slap their logos onto promotional goods like tote bags and calculators and personal stereos. Maybe that skateboard sported a prominent Rice-A-Roni logo?

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
I always just assumed that they were random low-value freebies they got that weren't valuable enough to get a voiced plug (and maybe the provider's name just appeared in the credits on screen?). They weren't always complimentary to the other plugs they'd be sandwiched between, I don't think.  Not a real life example, but I've certainly heard plugs similar to, "Kiwi shoe polish, for the best looking shoes ever! ...and a toaster! ...and a year's supply of Liquid Tide, nothing gets clothes brighter than Liquid Tide!"

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 02:50:11 PM »
https://youtu.be/nzg-HQ_T_UQ
Here's some fee plugs from an episode of Match Game '76.  The second plug is from Rice-A-Roni; my takeaway is that Rice-A-Roni provided a tray and a supply of their tasty side dish.
--Mark

chrisholland03

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 03:38:18 PM »
I always assumed they were a means of rounding up the prize package and were paid by the production company.  A very interesting question!

snowpeck

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »
Here's some fee plugs from an episode of Match Game '76.  The second plug is from Rice-A-Roni; my takeaway is that Rice-A-Roni provided a tray and a supply of their tasty side dish.
Surely the Clark Bar people didn't supply a travel alarm clock though.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

SamJ93

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 08:41:04 PM »
The most recent example of this I can remember was TPiR in the late 90's/early 00's, when "a telephone from Invention Submission Corporation" was a regular part of the consolation prizes.

It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 10:40:23 PM »
Surely the Clark Bar people didn't supply a travel alarm clock though.
It's plausible though...here's an example...
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kelloggs-corn-flakes-alarm-clock-1803029966
--Mark

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 02:45:14 AM »
You know, I just thought of this...considering some of the promo materials these companies send to retailers, it would not surprise me one bit if there really was a skateboard with Rice-A-Roni logos on it offered to some random store manager.

Just go through your local market one day and take a look at some of the promo displays. Especially when the NCAA postseason festivities start in a few weeks.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Fedya

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 05:18:20 AM »
The most recent example of this I can remember was TPiR in the late 90's/early 00's, when "a telephone from Invention Submission Corporation" was a regular part of the consolation prizes.

Maybe it was a telephone with a feature somebody was trying to get a patent for.

/sarcasm
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

tomobrien

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
One of my parting gifts on first season Jeopardy! (35 years ago this week -- yikes!) was from Shasta soft drinks. Along with coupons for a couple of cases of Shasta, they threw in a fairly nice beach towel with the Shasta logo.  And since I most likely wasn't going to fit into the Hanes Underalls panty hose, they gave me an instant camera instead. 

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 10:41:53 AM »
I remember reading on Curt Alliaume's old website that a contestant who won money on Winning Streak also got the parting gifts...did they just give them away to anyone who was lucky enough to get on, even if you retired as an undefeated champion?