Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: America Says.......no more syndicated run  (Read 2120 times)

BrandonFG

America Says.......no more syndicated run
« on: February 27, 2020, 02:34:26 AM »
This according to Broadcasting and Cable.

Fox’s renewed 25 Words or Less, starring Meredith Vieira, added 10% to a 1.1, while SPT’s off-GSN America Says, which will not return next season, slumped 13% to a 0.7.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

Re: America Says.......no more syndicated run
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »
Glad to hear that 25WOL was renewed.  It's been a fun little game to watch.

Regarding AS, it was pretty much GSN episodes brought over to be rerun on free TV. 

I'd much rather watch a game show with at least a couple of celebs I've never heard of than one where there are only teams of civilians that I've never heard of and will likely never hear of again.

tvmitch

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 09:33:53 AM »
Glad to hear that 25WOL was renewed.  It's been a fun little game to watch.

Regarding AS, it was pretty much GSN episodes brought over to be rerun on free TV. 

I'd much rather watch a game show with at least a couple of celebs I've never heard of than one where there are only teams of civilians that I've never heard of and will likely never hear of again.
That's a good observation, and one I would tend to agree with. However, this is interesting:

America Says: 0.7, not renewed
Funny You Should Ask: 0.5, renewed for two years

I don't know what the long-term ratings have been for Funny. Maybe the difference between 0.5 and 0.7 is splitting hairs. Maybe it's more lucrative for stations to carry Funny.
You should follow me on Twitter

chrisholland03

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 11:30:45 AM »
I'd wager that the cost of production for FYSA is lower than AS, making the 0.2 delta in ratings negligible

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 11:51:42 AM »
Except isn't the cost of production for the syndicated version zero.  The  real issue  more likely is there are not enough more GSN episodes to run another season.  Instead it would just be reruns of episodes that have aired in syndication multiple times.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:12:16 PM by Chuck Sutton »

calliaume

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 12:56:35 PM »
That's a good observation, and one I would tend to agree with. However, this is interesting:

America Says: 0.7, not renewed
Funny You Should Ask: 0.5, renewed for two years
Aren't many of Funny You Should Ask's time slots late night? A 0.5 rating at 11 PM or midnight might be better than 0.7 midday.

As noted before, Sony had to make a call as to whether to make new episodes of America Says or keep rerunning the ones they've already been rerunning, and decided on the former.